VoIP hardware is developing fast - this is where you ask all those “how do I make my SIP Telephone, Adapter or Asterisk box work with my voip provider?” questions.

Advertisement

By Sponsor
By beneix
I have a Gigaset N300A IP DECT phone that can be hooked up both to a landline and to Ethernet for VoIP. I have been using it for about 6 years and it has worked well with a number of SIP providers: DIDLogic, Localphone, VoIPFibre, VoipVoip. It is connected via Ethernet directly to my VDSL router.

For the last few months, I have used the last three of the providers mentioned above and they have all been working fine. Then suddenly a week ago, all three stopped working at the same time. In the admin panel of the N300A IP, it says "Registration failed" for all three.

I made no changes to the N300A IP at the time, nor did I make any changes to the router.

I have since tried:
  • Rebooting the N300A IP (no difference)
  • Disconnecting and reconnecting the N300A IP (no difference)
  • Updating the firmware of the N300A IP (which worked, showing that it is connected to the Internet, but it did not solve the issue)
  • Re-entering the SIP settings for one of the accounts (no difference)
  • Using my VoIP accounts using a soft phone on my Android phone via the WiFi of the same router that the N300A IP is connected to (this works fine)
In the log file from my router, I notice errors such as:
DNS name resolution failure ([underscore]sip.[underscore]tcp.localphone[dot]com)
DNS name resolution failure ([underscore]sip.[underscore]tcp.proxy.localphone[dot]com)
DNS name resolution failure ([underscore]sip.[underscore]udp.sip1.voipfibre[dot]com)
DNS name resolution failure ([underscore]sip.[underscore]tcp.sip1.voipfibre[dot]com)
(I have replaced dots due to site restrictions and underscores as they create italic formatting)

Since I have never looked at the log before, I cannot say if these errors are new and related to the issues with registration. However, as an experiment, I changed the DNS server settings on the router from 192.168.1.1 to OpenDNS servers, but this also did not resolve the problem.

I am puzzled by the underscores in the DNS errors above - why is the N300A IP looking up [underscore]sip.[underscore]tcp... instead of sip.tcp... ?

Any advice most appreciated!

Advertisement

By Sponsor
By WelshPaul
beneix wrote: Sat 13th Jul 2019, 17:24 I changed the DNS server settings on the router from 192.168.1.1 to OpenDNS servers, but this also did not resolve the problem.
Did you power cycle the router after updating DNS settings?

You can also configure the N300A IP directly to use a third party DNS via the web based GUI:
Simply set "IP address type" to "static" and complete both the "Preferred DNS server" and "Alternate DNS server" fields.
beneix wrote: Sat 13th Jul 2019, 17:24 For the last few months, I have used the last three of the providers mentioned above and they have all been working fine. Then suddenly a week ago, all three stopped working at the same time. In the admin panel of the N300A IP, it says "Registration failed" for all three.

I made no changes to the N300A IP at the time, nor did I make any changes to the router.
Are you sure nobody has messed with the configuration of the N300A IP or the router? Automatic Firmware update or Profile update maybe? Things don't just break fo no reason - Check the log entries on both devices and look for firmware, profile and/or reboot entries with the past couple of weeks! As it appears to be an issue with DNS, start with the router.
Converting from POTS to VOIP

Hello. I am looking at ditching my old POTS syste…

I just seen this thread over on the Voipfone User …

Hi, This might be in the wrong topic, so feel free…

CISCO 7841- INSTALL SIP FIRMWARE

Hey @Alexander01 sorry for the late reply (I h…