VoIP hardware is developing fast - this is where you ask all those “how do I make my SIP Telephone, Adapter or Asterisk box work with my voip provider?” questions.

Advertisement

By Sponsor
By Breeder
I've been using VoIPCheap.co.uk with a Siemens Gigaset S450IP for approximately 10 years with the same settings. The past 3 days I've been experiencing an issue where it will disconnect from the SIP server and show 'Registration Failed' on the handset.

I registered with VoIPFone today and its doing the same thing. If I powercyle by Virgin SuperHub 3.0 and Netgear router and the Gigaset S450IP it will work but will lose the connection 5 to 10 mins later. I've exhausted all possible options including:

- Connecting directly into the SuperHub in router mode
- Different CAT5e cable
- Setting up port forwarding (although its worked perfectly for years without)
- Resetting the S450IP

I haven't changed any settings in my router or SuperHub. I'm completely stuck. I don't the reset I did was factory reset so maybe this is my next avenue.

Any suggestions please?

Advertisement

By Sponsor
By WelshPaul
I take it that you have the virgin media super hub 3 in modem only mode and use the Netgear as your router and not just a switch? I know there were issues with the hub 3 and that it suffered from "A nasty Intel Puma 6 chipset (x86 SoC) bug" and i'm unsure if it has been fixed to date: http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/20 ... s-bug.html

It could just be that after 10 years the S450IP is failing, maybe faulty power supply. Do a full factory reset and make sure that you have the latest firmware installed on your S450IP and router.

Failing that, install a softphone on your computer and register it to your VoIPCheap.co.uk account and see if that holds registration.
By WelshPaul
Just done a little digging and the Intel Puma 6 chipset (x86 SoC) bug and to date, it still hasn't been fixed: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gam ... -p/3413981

More info on it here: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/0 ... mware_fix/

How long have you had the hub 3.0?
By Breeder
There are second hand S450IP available on eBay for £20. I've only been able to do a soft reset. I can't work out how to do a full factory reset. Its not actually in the manual.

I'm wondering how I can check to see if I'm affected by the Intel Puma 6 chipset (x86 SoC). This problem is causing me major frustration. I had the day off work today and spent all of it trying to resolve it.

I assume if I ask Virgin Media to replace the SuperHub 3.0 it would still potentially have the bug as new firmware hasn't been released.
By WelshPaul
Breeder wrote: Fri 12th May 2017, 23:53 There are second hand S450IP available on eBay for £20. I've only been able to do a soft reset. I can't work out how to do a full factory reset. Its not actually in the manual.
To reset the base station:
  • Remove the base station mains unitfrom the socket
  • Press and hold the registration/pagingkey
  • Plug the mains unit back into the powersocket
  • Press and hold the registration/pagingkey
  • Release the registration/paging key.
I wouldn't recommend purchasing another S450IP as they have been obsolete for years. That means no more firmware updates, patches or security fixes. Get the Gigaset N300A IP (use one myself), found this on eBay (i'm not the seller): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gigaset-N300A ... Sw9OFZEybT
Breeder wrote: Fri 12th May 2017, 23:53 I'm wondering how I can check to see if I'm affected by the Intel Puma 6 chipset (x86 SoC). This problem is causing me major frustration. I had the day off work today and spent all of it trying to resolve it.
You are! Putting the hub 3.0 into modem only mode and using your own router won't help either. Every router that has the Intel's Puma 6 chipset suffers has this issue and not just Virgin Media's super hub 3.0.
Breeder wrote: Fri 12th May 2017, 23:53 I assume if I ask Virgin Media to replace the SuperHub 3.0 it would still potentially have the bug as new firmware hasn't been released.
At best they would replace it with another hub 3.0, bug will still be there.

Anyway, the Intel Puma 6 chipset (x86 SoC) bug might not be the cause of your issue and I was just putting it out there as a possible cause. You didn't answer my question, when did you have the hub installed? Obviously you haven't had that for the past 10 years...

Also, download the X-Lite softphone (it's free) - http://www.counterpath.com/x-lite/

Install it on your computer and register it against your VoIPCheap.co.uk account and see if it holds registration. Not ideal i know but if it holds registration then the issue is unlikely to be your network/router.
By Breeder
Factory reset has made matters worse! I'm unable to register the handsets with the base now.

Softphone is holding VoIPCheap registration fine so far. I'm sure you were right the S450IP is defective.

I've ordered a N300IP and C430HX (Qty: 4) from Amazon. Hub 3.0 was installed ~ 10 months ago. Its not recent. Since Softphone is working I'm sure its the Gigaset hardware at fault.
By WelshPaul
Breeder wrote: Sat 13th May 2017, 13:33 Factory reset has made matters worse! I'm unable to register the handsets with the base now.
Nooooooooo :sweat:

Part of the full reset process is to obviously remove any registered handsets from the base but registering them again should be an easy, straight forward process:
  • On the handset:
    Settings > Handset > Register H/Set

Enter the system pin of the base station (the default is 0000) and press OK.
  • On the base station:
    Within 60 seconds. Press and hold the registration/paging key on the base station for a minimum of 1 second.
No doubt you know the process but just throwing it out there as it may be useful to others who stumble across this topic.
Breeder wrote: Sat 13th May 2017, 13:33 Softphone is holding VoIPCheap registration fine so far. I'm sure you were right the S450IP is defective.
That sure does point the finger at the S450IP being defective.
Breeder wrote: Sat 13th May 2017, 13:33I've ordered a N300IP and C430HX (Qty: 4) from Amazon.
I'm currently using exactly the same handsets myself although I have the N300AIP. I only purchased the N300AIP because at the time, it was cheaper than the N300IP! :-D

Very good choice, you won't regret it! :thumbsup:
Breeder wrote: Sat 13th May 2017, 13:33Hub 3.0 was installed ~ 10 months ago.
Can rule that one out then, as for the Puma 6 chipset (x86 SoC) bug, put it to the back of your mind. Although it's there, it clearly isn't having a noticeable effect on your broadband experience. :)
By Breeder
Was able to register the handsets successfully. I wasn't following the procedure correctly.

Setup VoIPCheap but still not holding settings. Almost certain in my mind the S450IP has become faulty. The order from Amazon will arrive at the locker in Morrisons in a few hours. Will be glad to get this sorted. I'm supposed to be studying for my CFA exams instead of dealing with this.
By WelshPaul
Breeder wrote: Sun 14th May 2017, 16:36 Installed the N300IP and C430HX handsets. All working fine.

The End.
Thanks for coming back with an update and confirming that the S450IP was indeed faulty.

Oh and good luck with your CFA exams.:thumbsup:
By Breeder
*Bleep*! I'm getting Registration at provider failed with the the S300IP and the new handets.
I threw the S300IP and S45 handsets in the wheelie bin. I doubt they are faulty.

Anyway, I'm completely stuck as it what's causing my issue. Anything you recommend I can suggest Paul?
By WelshPaul
How long did the registration hold for?

Can you confirm that you are indeed using the following configuration on your N300:

Authentication name: Voipcheap Username
Authentication password: Voipcheap Password
Username: Voipcheap Username
Display name: Voipcheap Username

Domain: sip.voipcheap.co.uk
Proxy server address: sip.voipcheap.co.uk
Registration server: sip.voipcheap.co.uk
Registration refresh time: 60
STUN enabled: Yes
STUN server address: stun.voipcheap.co.uk

Make sure that Automatic check for profile updates is set to No.

I have just registered a Voipcheap account against IP6 on my N300AIP as I too have a similar setup to you. To clarify, I have a super hub 2 in modem only mode and use an Asus router. See if it's still registered come the morning and if so, the issue must be with your router. Have you disabled SIP ALG?

In the meantime, can you retrieve the S450IP? You can send the N300IP and additional handsets back.
By WelshPaul
Exactly what I have, make sure that you also set:

Telephony > Connections > Automatic check for profile updates: No

What make and model router are you using? Have you disabled SIP ALG on it?

EDIT: Answered above...

Bizarre that it has worked without issue for so long and only now it drops registration. Sure nothing has changed on your router? Firmware update for example?

Advertisement

By Sponsor

Just found out that the latest firmware build for …

Supported Products: OBi504vs OBi508vs Firm…

Supported Products: OBi200 OBi202 OBi300 OB…

These are unlocked and unbranded Snom 760 IP Phone…