VoIP hardware is developing fast - this is where you ask all those “how do I make my SIP Telephone, Adapter or Asterisk box work with my voip provider?” questions.

Advertisement

By Sponsor
By Bayo
Took me a while to get my account here but here we go.

I'm looking for some solid advice as it seems what I'm looking for doesn't seem to gel with what most people find super cool about IP phones.
I'm wanting to connect my existing landline and service to an IP phone (Panasonic KX-HDV130). I wouldn't mind using the second line as an IP phone with my IP service either. I know that some VOIP enthusiasts will tell me that I should stop living in the past and to get with the times and go full VOIP, however I still require a landline for both incoming and outgoing calls. I'm not interested in paying for a service or trying to switch over to google voice (which isn't available in the UK, despite being shilled it by everyone and their mother).
Why an IP phone? Better hardware, speakerphone/decent headset/adapter options and the ability to hook it up to my sound mixer for mic input. All in all better for my needs and better than using a softphone on my PC. I often have to take/make phone calls bordering on the 45 minute to 1 hour plus mark, I have a disability which makes holding a phone handset very painful and speakerphones aren't suitable for me due to the nature of my environment.

I understand that I may need an ATA or other device and I had purchased an obi 200 on advice from others (however obi customer support was very poor). I think that the Obi110 would suit my needs, but once again I have no clue and don't want to be roped into returning/selling a product if it isn't right for my needs. I've also seen a little bit about gateway and asterisk, but I really have no clue.

If anyone who is more knowledgeable could find the time to shine some light on this, it'd be a great help.

Advertisement

By Sponsor
By WelshPaul
Bayo wrote: Tue 14th November 2017, 14:38 Took me a while to get my account here but here we go.
Can you expand on this? I'm not aware of any issues with registration. :dunno:
Bayo wrote: Tue 14th November 2017, 14:38 I'm looking for some solid advice as it seems what I'm looking for doesn't seem to gel with what most people find super cool about IP phones.
I'm wanting to connect my existing landline and service to an IP phone (Panasonic KX-HDV130). I wouldn't mind using the second line as an IP phone with my IP service either. I know that some VOIP enthusiasts will tell me that I should stop living in the past and to get with the times and go full VOIP, however I still require a landline for both incoming and outgoing calls. I'm not interested in paying for a service or trying to switch over to google voice (which isn't available in the UK, despite being shilled it by everyone and their mother).
Why an IP phone? Better hardware, speakerphone/decent headset/adapter options and the ability to hook it up to my sound mixer for mic input. All in all better for my needs and better than using a softphone on my PC. I often have to take/make phone calls bordering on the 45 minute to 1 hour plus mark, I have a disability which makes holding a phone handset very painful and speakerphones aren't suitable for me due to the nature of my environment.

I understand that I may need an ATA or other device and I had purchased an obi 200 on advice from others (however obi customer support was very poor). I think that the Obi110 would suit my needs, but once again I have no clue and don't want to be roped into returning/selling a product if it isn't right for my needs. I've also seen a little bit about gateway and asterisk, but I really have no clue.

If anyone who is more knowledgeable could find the time to shine some light on this, it'd be a great help.
You don't want an OBi110, you can't register the Panasonic KX-HDV130 to it. :(

My advice would be to buy the OBi212 but that isn't available here in the UK at present! :dunno:

If you still have the OBi200 then the best option (and cheapest) is to give the OBiLINE adaptor a try. Be warned, there are lots of complaints about calls made over the OBiLINE adaptor suffering from an annoying echo. However, if this works for you it will allow you to physically connect your existing OBi200 to your POTS landline. All you need to do then is register your Panasonic KX-HDV130 and any VoIP provider of your choosing to the OBi200. :)

Just found out that the latest firmware build for …

Supported Products: OBi504vs OBi508vs Firm…

Supported Products: OBi200 OBi202 OBi300 OB…

These are unlocked and unbranded Snom 760 IP Phone…