VoIP hardware is developing fast - this is where you ask all those “how do I make my SIP Telephone, Adapter or Asterisk box work with my voip provider?” questions.
By Mrdiy88
Posts Likes Avatar Topics
Hi Guys

I bought some cisco 7941 phones and added the Sip firmware which went well. I know these phone are a bit of a hassle etc but i am using them as a bit of a project at my home office. So I'm hoping not to be beat by them.

My trunk is provided by Sipgate, mainly because they offer good value for UK calls etc.

My question is: How do i go about setting this phone up so freepbx sees it as an extension and therefore allowing it to use the trunk.

I also have some Snom 821s which were a breeze but I would love a guide on getting my cp-7941g phones working. Afterall I have plenty of time and they are sitting here waiting to be put to use.

How do I go about getting them provisioned

All help very much appreciated :thinking:
By WelshPaul
Posts Signature Likes Avatar Topics
Hi @Mrdiy88,

To configure the phones simply follow the instructions under the CISCO 7941 & 7961 SERIES IP PHONES section here:
downloads/cisco-7900-series.html

I'm guessing you have already configured FreePBX and successfully registered a trunk to your SipGate account? If so, all you need to do now is create an extension for each phone to register too...

At this point you need to create the required configuration files and place them in the root TFTP directory. Finally configure the phones to pull the configuration files from the TFTP Server like so:
  1. Press Settings and Option #9 Unlock Config. It will ask you for your password. The default would be ‘cisco’. Then go to Option# 3 Network Configuration -> Option 32 Alternate TFTP and change this to ‘YES‘
  2. Then go to Option #7: TFTP Server and change this to the IP Address of your TFTP Server and press ‘Validate‘ and ‘Save’
Note: If you downloaded the the SIP firmware files from this website, all the configuration files are included in the zip file too. Extract them, edit them and simply enter your freepbx extension, password and proxy address (IP address of FreePBX server if on local lan) as requested in the clearly marked fields, save them and move the configuration files to the TFTP root directory and reboot the phones. That's it! :thumbsup:
By Mrdiy88
Absolutely fantastic WelshPaul. I didn't even think to search for a similar model. I really like these phones and they do look well on the desk (what a geek eh)

Anyway thanks very much for the very detailed reply, I think you have helped me alot. Many thanks again :)

P. S yes freepbx all configured and waiting on the phones to be provisioned. It was this that had baffled me. I am used to the standard web based setups so the Cisco way is new to me. But great to be learning these things.

Great forum, cheers
WelshPaul liked this
By Mrdiy88
So i finally got round to flashing the latest firmware as per the instructions which went well.

I also created the SEP config xml file which points the 7941g to the extension as setup in freepbx. I am using an 8 character password as the secret.

Problem is the phone gets the Sep file and tries to provision. I can see my extension name and number (101) on the screen but it seems to stick at "registering" and then "restarting" and tries to update locale etc. The only thing i am interested in is the registration but it doesn't seem to shake hands with freepbx.

Does anyone have any idea of what i couod check next. I've tried changing the secret and updating the SEP file on tftp etc but to no avail.

If all works and registers i should get a dial tone,right?
By Mrdiy88
Just to update the thread. I am having issues with the raspbx also. I was attempting to provision the cisco phone on freepbx on my pi 1 but the avove happened.

I decided to try the latest version of raapbx on my pi 3 but it seemed to present various errors and being extremely slow etc. I have reflashed the card with an earlier version but it kicks me out of putty (network connection refused). A restart allowed me to ssh into root. I continued the setup by running the raspbx-upgrade script. This seemed to take 4 hours which i found unusual.

I might try a different micro sd just in case that is bad. I can't think of anything else as i have a good idea how to do the initial setup.

Many Thanks
By Mrdiy88
UPDATE: Ok so I bought a class 10 micro sd card from Argos for the pi3 and installed the latest raspbx image and its now flying so that was my issue with the previous raspbx issues. Now just trying to get the 7941g provisioned to the extension as setup in freepbx. Still reports "Error verifying condig info" after pulling the SEP file so currently looking into it. Cheers
By Mrdiy88
Ok so the error i was getting was that i had a space in a double barreled name for phone display (it didnt like that)

Now the SEP mac file has been sent to the phone and the name and extension number are shown. However it now sticks at registering. I changed freepbx to chan_sip just in case and update the SEP. Phone simply tried to register and restarts.

Anyone have any idea of what i could check next, I feel like I am "nearly" there. The other part of me wants to beat it with a sledgehammer lol

Fed up with paying a monthly fee for extensions, call …

Before you go any further have a read of this: https://…

A few years has passed since my original post and thing…

Below you will find the settings and their values requi…