VoIP hardware is developing fast - this is where you ask all those “how do I make my SIP Telephone, Adapter or Asterisk box work with my voip provider?” questions.
By dan_ce
Posts Avatar Topics
Just spent quite a while running a cable from a PAP2T in the basement, up through the ground floor to the 1st floor (in British English) so...

1st Floor - Analog telephone
^
Ground floor
^
Basement - PAP2T

at first things seemed to work OK but the audio was faint. But now I'm having problems whereby the DTMF tones aren't being 'heard' correctly by the PAP2T and are being misinterpreted as other digits. Another big problem is that audio from the microphone on the analogue telephone is no longer being transmitted.

I'm wondering if the cable is maybe snagged/pinched or if something has gone wrong somewhere else because it's totally unworkable as things stand. Could it just be that the cable length is too long for the PAP2T and I've got cable attenuation problems or?

I tried plugging the SAME analogue phone into the PAP2T's other port and everything works as normal. Microphone works as it should and DTMF digits are correctly sent/interpreted. So I guess it's either:-

That particular port on the PAP2T
The cable being too long
The cable being snagged somewhere
Something else I've not considered?

Any insights most welcome. Tearing my hair out!
By WelshPaul
Posts Signature Likes Avatar Topics
dan_ce wrote:I'm wondering if the cable is maybe snagged/pinched or if something
It's possible. How long is the cable run?

If you're in the UK then take a look at the following topic "UK REGIONAL SETTINGS FOR CISCO, LINKSYS & SIPURA DEVICES." and configure the PAP2T accordingly.
By WelshPaul
I don't think 25 feet is an excessive amount and most ATA's should handle that run just fine in my opinion. Where did you get the PAP2T from? The reason I ask is that the PAP2T was discontinued years back and the ones for sale on eBay are usually cheap Chinese knock-offs and maybe thats why its struggling (I did say maybe)...

Did you have to wire up the extension cable yourself? How is it connected to the PAP2T? Are you using one of these? Or is the extension cable plugged directly into the PAP2T via its own RJ11 plug? Whats on the other end of the extension cable?
By WelshPaul
Ohh hang on, I miss-read... 25 METERS is roughly 80 Feet! That is likely going to be the cause. Does the phone ring ok when receiving a call?

There was this post previously that is similar to yours:
iantor @ phone ringing unreliable with SPA112

If your phone is ringing ok when receiving a call then we can try messing around with the gain settings on the PAP2T...

Hi Bill, I can definitely advise and help set this up …

Newbie help!

Hello Richard, A good solution for you would be yay.c…

Before you go any further have a read of this: https://…

A few years has passed since my original post and thing…