VoIP hardware is developing fast - this is where you ask all those “how do I make my SIP Telephone, Adapter or Asterisk box work with my voip provider?” questions.
By LongSteve
Posts Avatar Topics
Hi all.

I have just bought a GPO 746 Rotary Retro Phone from Amazon and have it connected to a Linksys PAP-2T (Firmware 5.1.6(LS) Hardware V. 5.2.1). It's a modern phone that actually generates tones when you turn the rotary dialer, I love it and it works great for incoming and outgoing calls!

However, the phone bell ringer periodically 'tings', about once every 20 seconds, while on the hook. From my basic stopwatch tests, it seems pretty consistently every 19-20 seconds. This doesn't happen on other purely digital phones I have, I've used the ATA for some years on several DECT phones. I have 'played around' with various settings on the PAP-2T, but I'm no expert on such things, and so far nothing has stopped the pinging. I use the standard UK settings that are available on these forums and in several places around the net. Having turned off the ringer with a switch on the bottom of the phone it makes no sound while idle, so everything is fine (I can hear the DECT phone on my other extension ring), but this isn't ideal.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what settings to look at on the PAP-2T to see if I can stop the idle pinging. I thought it might be the SIP re-registration, but that's set to 60 seconds, and doesn't seem to correspond to the pings. I'm guess it's some sort of voltage fluctuation on the line, but changing the "FXS Port Impedance" or the "Ring Voltage" settings doesn't seem to effect it. I've asked the manufacturer the same questions, so will update if they respond. If I get no info I'll have a look inside the phone. There might be a way to adjust the ringer tolerance if there are on hook voltage fluctuations. Multimeter and brute force if nothing else!

Many thanks,

Steve
By WelshPaul
Posts Signature Likes Avatar Topics
Hi @LongSteve,

Did you configure the PAPT2 with the required UK Regional Settings as shown here:
UK Regional Settings for Cisco, Linksys & Sipura Devices.

Also, is this a genuine Linksys PAP2T or a cheap chinese counterfit? The reason I ask is that if it's the latter, it could be hardware issue on the PAP2T side...
By LongSteve
Posts Avatar Topics
Hi Paul, thanks for the reply.

Yes, the regional settings are configured pretty much just as those linked, although I tweaked the calling plan a little. I've had the PAP2T a looong time, I think I bought it from Voipfone new so I hope it's not a knockoff. I know there are plenty of fake ones around though so I'll do a bit of Googling and see if I can check the MAC address to be sure.

GPO customer services got back to my support request with the following, probably true, but not an immediate solution!
The GPO 746 Rotary Phones have mechanical bells that are quite sensitive to voltage spikes, which is what causes them to ring.

The ‘pinging’ you are experiencing also happens in the outside world when engineers are testing the integrity of phone lines in geographical areas, so we have had experience with this phenomenon.

The system you are using may have some kind of built-in integrity check that is triggered at regular intervals, so it may be an intentional check, rather than sending voltages when it shouldn’t.

Anything that has an electronic bell, such as the SIP/IP phones that Gary recommended, don’t exhibit that same sensitivity, so they would seem to be a sensible choice for your particular set-up.
That has reminded me I could watch the syslog to see if I can spot anything happening when the phone tings.
By WelshPaul
Posts Signature Likes Avatar Topics
LongSteve wrote:That has reminded me I could watch the syslog to see if I can spot anything happening when the phone tings.
Did you do this and if so did it provide you with any hints as to whats happening?

I have an original GPO 706 telephone here (fitted with a RotaTone).
Used it with several ATA's over the years (e.g. Cisco SPA112/122, Grandstream HT812) and never had an issue with any of them.
By LongSteve
Posts Avatar Topics
I did enable syslog to see if it was running anything periodically, but even at debug level 99 nothing showed up every 20 seconds when the phone pinged! I altered various refresh and register timings, but nothing changed the 20 second bell ping!

I've now switched to a Grandstream HT812 and it's working perfectly. No periodic 'tings', the phone is silent all the while it's on the hook, and the high voltage ring option makes the phone ring nice and loud.

Thanks for your time replying. One to chalk up to experience and leave here in case anyone else is thinking of getting one of the 'modern' GPO 746's

Voipfone announced earlier this evening (via their soci…

I did enable syslog to see if it was running anything p…

Hi I have purchased the grandstream HT812 im sure it …

Smartwatch question? (Non Apple)

I own the Galaxy Watch 3 and the Galaxy watch 4 Classic…