VoIP hardware is developing fast - this is where you ask all those “how do I make my SIP Telephone, Adapter or Asterisk box work with my voip provider?” questions.
By LenCuff
Posts Likes Avatar Topics
Just got the HT812 in the hope of going VOIP. Set it all up as per UK regional settings and it shows as connected to Sipgate fine.
Using a BT Graphite DECT phone but it shows NO LINE on the display and I don't get any line tone.
If I try calling my Sipgate number I see it appear on the phone display as the correct calling number but when I try to answer I get nothing.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong or is this phone incompatible with the HT812?

Thanks.
By WelshPaul
Posts Signature Likes Avatar Topics
VoipIT, tonygibbs16 liked this
By LenCuff
Managed to borrow a Panasonic DECT phone and that works fine so adaptor on order and hoping the BT phones work.

Out of interest I set up VOIP on my B535-333 router - which didn't work on the BT phones - and that also works fine with the Panasonic!

Looks like I may not even need the HT812 if the built in VOIP on the router works !!
By WelshPaul
LenCuff wrote: Wed 29th Dec 2021, 14:56 adaptor on order and hoping the BT phones work.
They will work providing you ordered the right adapter. Simply put, the adapter must have its own internal ringing capacitor to enable your UK phone to ring for incoming calls when connected to a foreign telephone system. The cheap ones on eBay are wired differently and do not have the ring capacitor.
LenCuff wrote: Wed 29th Dec 2021, 14:56 Out of interest I set up VOIP on my B535-333 router - which didn't work on the BT phones - and that also works fine with the Panasonic!
I'm not familiar with this device. Having Googled it's a 4G+ modem/router made by Huawei? Having looked at one on Amazon there doesn't appear to be any VoIP capabilities built in either?
By LenCuff
Hi, ordered the one from the link you posted and it does have the capacitor fitted but if it doesn't work I can return it.

The B535-333 router does have a VOIP option built in with an RJ11 at the back.
Good mifi router, getting 60Mb on a Lebara (Vodaphone) sim but although it does register with Sipgate and continues to show as Registered, Sipgate isn't showing it connected at all after a while but the Grandstream stays rock solid.
By VoipIT
I was going to recommend that you enable STUN on the device but was interested to know if you noticed any issues with calls (inbound mainly). If the Sipgate dashboard was showing the device as being offline, then inbound calls would likely be failing. I’m in the process of implementing a similar setup myself! :grin:
By LenCuff
So what happened with the router VOIP was that it was showing as connected fine but after a short time, Sipgate shows as disconnected. Router still shows connected!
HT812 as stated remains absolutely solid and incoming calls are all good and clear.
Really impressed by the free voicemail with Sipgate Basic which even emails me when I have voicemail AND I can listen to it on my phone.

Router is really good - but not for VOIP! - get on average 55Mb using a Lebara SIM. Was on the VM 100Mb package with phone costing £45 and now using Lebara £25 unlimited data and phone is free.
By VoipIT
I Just ordered a Huawei B628-265 from Amazon (Delivery today by 10pm) and a Draytek Vigor 2620Ln from eBay. :ok_hand:
(It would have been better to go with a 5G router the cost is just too *Bleep* high! :unamused: )

The Draytek will have a more advanced interface, regular firmware updates and a better build quality (I think). However, the Huawei B628 has a better WiFi specification compared to the Draytek router. Oh, and the lack of firmware updates and configuration options worry me! Will let you know how I get on.
By LenCuff
I was also going to go the 5G route but over £500 was a non starter. The B535 is a 4G + MIFI which 'somehow' combines the connection and I get about 55Mb on average which is plenty for our needs and saves about £25 a month compared with VM !!
WelshPaul liked this
By VoipIT
Woo hoo! It arrived...

Con's so far (B628-265 ~ Software version: 10.0.5.1(H203SP1C983)):
  • No QOS
  • No "Set DNS server manually" option
  • No option to change the MTU of the mobile internet connection
  • SIP ALG needs to be enabled others my VoIP devices fail to register ~Resolved~
  • IP and MAC Address Binding List is limited to eight devices
  • PPTP & LTP VPN implementation (L2TP and PPTP protocols are largely obsolete)
  • Built in VoIP port works well but very limited configuration options
No doubt there will be more things I dislike about the device as I put it to the test over the next few days. For now, I have connected my Virgin Media Super Hub 3 to the WAN port and the SIM is just there for backup and testing purposes. Just like you, I plan on ditching Virgin Media, and I will probably end up using this router in "Bridge Mode" so the con's I mention above won't be of concern to me. 👍

Update 1:
I've been busy testing out the mobile and WIFI connections today and so far, no issues. I'm getting approximately 70Mbps down and 8Mbps up with an ID Mobile (Pay Go) SIM installed using nothing but the internal antennas.

Information:
  • ID Mobile: Uses the Three network
  • Signal strength: -77dBm ~ 4/5 bars
  • Ping: 25-33ms

Out of curiosity I have ordered a Poynting XPOL-1 V2 5G 3dBi Omni-Directional Cross Polarised LTE 2x2 MIMO Outdoor Antenna from Amazon to try and improve the upload speed and overall quality of the connection. 🤞
By WelshPaul
VoipIT wrote:It would have been better to go with a 5G router the cost is just too *Bleep* high! :unamused:
LenCuff wrote:I was also going to go the 5G route but over £500 was a non starter.
I'm no expert on mobile communications but I think the both of you made a wise decision to go with a 4G router rather than fork out over £500 for the 5G variant.
5G is still in its infancy and I think there will be a lot of changes and additions over the next couple of years.

Steps are being made towards increasing the range of spectrum options for 5G in the UK, gradually progressing to the stage where 5G will be able to serve its full range of potential use cases and realise its full performance potential. (Read more here.) So, if you're looking to buy a 5G router then make sure you do your homework and check what bands it currently supports and what new bands are on the horizon.

Supported bands for the TCL LinkHub HH500E (Amazon price £389.00) and Huawei 5G CPE Pro 2 (Amazon price £503.40) are below:

TCL LinkHub HH500E 5G CPE:
  • 5G Bands: N1 / N3 / N5 / N7 / N8 / N20 / N28 / N41 / N77 / N78 / N79
  • 4G bands: B2 / 3/4/5/7/12/13/17/48/25/26/29/30/41/66/71
Huawei 5G CPE Pro 2:
  • 5G Bands: N1 / 3 / 5/ 7/ 28 / 38 / 40(2300–2390 MHz) / 41 / 77 / 78 / 79 / 80 / 84
  • 4G bands: B1 / 3 / 5 / 7 / 8 / 20 / 28 / 32 / 34 / 38 / 39 / 40(2300–2390 MHz) / 41 / 4
LenCuff wrote:Hi, since setting up a STUN entry on the HT812 and using the Panasonic Dect phones it's been rock sold.
Good sleuthing and happy VoIP'ing @LenCuff! 👌👍

A Hook Flash is nothing more than hanging up and picki…

Thank-you extremely helpful. What would I do if for s…

Am not sure where my Grandstream HT813 was sourced from…

My HT801 was configured for another UK provider. I rea…