VoIP hardware is developing fast - this is where you ask all those “how do I make my SIP Telephone, Adapter or Asterisk box work with my voip provider?” questions.
By Hamal
Hello, can anyone help me with a problem of IP phone SIP configuration. I have no experience of telecoms and I am hoping you can assist.

Having successfully re-programmed a Cisco 7940 IP phone from SCCP to 3.8.12 SIP for use at home, I acquired a another unit for a family member.

This second unit is already programmed with the same version of SIP firmware so I assumed I could simply reuse the same two SIP configuration files (SIPMAC.cnf and SIPDefault.cnf) with the necessary adjustments (changed MAC address etc.) to configure it. I therefore removed four files from the tftpboot directory leaving the only the above two mentioned files.

This unit was connected to the same Windows XP netbook running the same TFTP server as my first successful flashing – but I am having no success at all with the second unit.

Can you advise as to whether I have made the correct assumptions.

Contents of tftpboot directory
SIPMACAddress.cnf
SIPDefault.cnf

Files removed from tftpboot directory
OS79XX.TXT
POS3-8-12-00.loads
POS3-8-12-00.sbc
POS3-8-12-00.bin
POS3-8-12-00.sbin

Regards
By GoofyCyborg
Afternoon Hamal,

Have you checked the logs to see if the phone is requesting and receiving the files? I assume you have edited the SIPmacaddress.cnf file with the correct values otherwise both phones will attempt to register with the same VoIP/Sip account?

Could always try a full factory reset. The Cisco 79xx series are not my area of expertise sadly but if the above don't work maybe WelshPaul can help?
By WelshPaul
Cisco has stated that they will not continue to develop SIP software for the Cisco line of phones, so my recommendation is not to invest in a Cisco phone for use with VoIP.

Also make sure your device firmware version is 8.2 or better. You can find the firmware version your phone is currently running by using the "Settings" button on your phone and navigating to Status -> Firmware Versions. If you are running a version prior to 8.2, please upgrade your phone's software before proceeding.

The following instructions assume your phone has successfully booted and completed network configuration including obtaining valid IP addresses for itself, an IP gateway and DNS servers either via DCHP, manual or other means, that your phone is running with factory defaults with firmware version 8.2 or better and that the SIP image has been loaded.

STEP 1
  • Unlock the configuration protection by pressing "**#"
STEP 2
  • Press "settings" button
  • Configure IP connectivity in "Network Configuration Menu" (e.g., DHCP support)
STEP 3
  • Select "SIP Configuration"
  • Select "Line 1"
  • Enter the account number assigned to you when signed up for your VoIP service, in the fields "name" and "authentication name"
  • Enter the password used to login to your VoIP account
  • Enter your VoIP providers proxy address eg. "sip.myvoipprovider.com" as the proxy
  • Set "g729a" as Preferred Codec
  • Press "back" and "save" buttons to leave the configuration mode
STEP 4
  • Make Calls!