VoIP hardware is developing fast - this is where you ask all those “how do I make my SIP Telephone, Adapter or Asterisk box work with my voip provider?” questions.
By mpmc
Hey,

Firstly great work with the site, I've updated the settings on my Obi110 to match the ones you recommend here, unfortunately it caused me a few issues, Setting CPCTimeThreshold to 0.09 on an Obi110 results in a value of 0 being used on reboot meaning incoming calls would get dropped after a second (I'd previously set this to 90 and it worked fine) and now I can't use # to bypass Asterisk whereas I could before as entering numbers just gets ignored the line then gets dropped (you can hear the clink-click sound) and then the Asterisk dial tone takes over.

I've since set the CPCTimeThreshold to 90 and all is fine again apart from the above bypass issue (which might be my fault due to RX changes ~ see below).

Also I've never heard that howling tone used before, is it custom?

--- Below is slightly off topic but maybe you might be able to help (feel free to separate this into another thread).

We have a bog standard Motorola DECT phone connected to the obi which works generally fine but the volume seems to fluctuate during a call, e.g. When you talk the volume of the caller gets reduced making them hard to hear. I've set the ChannelRxGain on the phone port to -5 and RX to 8 on the Line which has helped somewhat but it's still not great.

If you have any suggestions they'd be greatly received :D

TIA
By WelshPaul
mpmc wrote:Hey,

Firstly great work with the site, I've updated the settings on my Obi110 to match the ones you recommend here, unfortunately it caused me a few issues, Setting CPCTimeThreshold to 0.09 on an Obi110 results in a value of 0 being used on reboot meaning incoming calls would get dropped after a second (I'd previously set this to 90 and it worked fine) and now I can't use # to bypass Asterisk whereas I could before as entering numbers just gets ignored the line then gets dropped (you can hear the clink-click sound) and then the Asterisk dial tone takes over.

I've since set the CPCTimeThreshold to 90 and all is fine again apart from the above bypass issue (which might be my fault due to RX changes ~ see below).
90 is far too high a value for the CPCTimeThreshold, the CPCDuration should be 90, not the CPCTimeThreshold. (You didn't mix these two up did you?) I worked along side an oBihai engineer and together tested all these values on their oBi202 devices. I have not used the oBi110 myself as oBihai only sent me their 202's but I will contact their guy and ask him why "value of 0 being used on reboot" and get back to you.

EDIT: Actually I have just checked the logs and we discovered the correct value for oBihai devices should be 9 and not 0.09. I did not update my post above. Sorry :oops:
mpmc wrote: Also I've never heard that howling tone used before, is it custom?
This generates the loud warning tone you hear when you the phone is left of the hook, the default is american and not as loud.
mpmc wrote: --- Below is slightly off topic but maybe you might be able to help (feel free to separate this into another thread).

We have a bog standard Motorola DECT phone connected to the obi which works generally fine but the volume seems to fluctuate during a call, e.g. When you talk the volume of the caller gets reduced making them hard to hear. I've set the ChannelRxGain on the phone port to -5 and RX to 8 on the Line which has helped somewhat but it's still not great.

If you have any suggestions they'd be greatly received :D

TIA
Hmm... Seeing as you have already tried altering the gain values have you tested the oBi with another phone with it's default values in place? The reason why I ask is a mate of mine had this problem some time ago with dect phones he purchased from staples... Funny enough these were Motorola's only difference he had a pstn line with sky and wasn't using them with voip?

If not can you do this and post back?

If the problem is still there then Impedance mismatch is usually the main cause of FXO voice quality issues.
By mpmc
Thanks for the response :)

We're currently using a BT Line with the Obi110. I've set it up so the obi routes the calls to a Raspberry Pi running raspbx and back out to the phone via the obi. (Line uses one SP the phone uses the other, not sure this is best way to do it but it works :p).

The howling tone that is used by default is the same one I hear on a BT Line not connected to the obi which is why I asked whether it was custom :)

The CPCTimeThreshold is the only option I can see with the 110 I can't seem to find the CPCDuration option, I've set CPCTimeThreshold to 9 and it works fine still :)

Unfortunately we don't have another phone to test the default values but I do use MicroSIP and that works okay (the volume stays constant) but it does echo a bit.

The Impedance is the same as the values you recommend.

On a side note I am actually looking for a pair of DECT voip phones but they're far to expensive and I can't justify the cost tbh as we don't use the phone that much! The only reason I had the obi was because it worked out cheaper than one of those call blocker things!
By WelshPaul
mpmc wrote:Thanks for the response :)

We're currently using a BT Line with the Obi110. I've set it up so the obi routes the calls to a Raspberry Pi running raspbx and back out to the phone via the obi. (Line uses one SP the phone uses the other, not sure this is best way to do it but it works :p).
I've not used raspbx myself as I only have the one raspberry pi and I use it with a DVAP for use with DSTAR. (Amateur radio)
mpmc wrote: The howling tone that is used by default is the same one I hear on a BT Line not connected to the obi which is why I asked whether it was custom :)
At the time it was custom, I worked with obihai to configure the obihai devices with compatible UK settings with the aim that they would configure devices used in the UK with these settings as default. So it's possible they are using some or all of the above settings now as standard. (I'd have to check this though)

The default howling tone was I believe: 480+3,620+3;10;(.125+.125)
mpmc wrote: The CPCTimeThreshold is the only option I can see with the 110 I can't seem to find the CPCDuration option, I've set CPCTimeThreshold to 9 and it works fine still :)
Unfortunately I myself have not had a 110 to test, in that case the CPCDuration setting must be used on the 200 series and not the 100 series.
mpmc wrote: Unfortunately we don't have another phone to test the default values but I do use MicroSIP and that works okay (the volume stays constant) but it does echo a bit.

No worries, it's always best to keep a corded phone as a spare, purchased one myself of ebay for £1.99.

I would try different impedance values in the mean time, it's possible that there are settings pre set in the raspbx that are causing a conflict although I'm taking a wild guess on that. Are the audio issues present when the device is running on it's factory default values?

I just googled and found this thread: https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php ... 424.0;wap2

If you can try different impedance values and get back to me and let me know the result and should that not work I will send an email to Mark over at Obihai and ask him to test the above settings on an oBihai 110 and see if he has the same audio issues in a similar setup. It maybe an issue within the raspbx setup and not the oBi110 itself.
By mpmc
WelshPaul wrote:
mpmc wrote:Thanks for the response :)

I've not used raspbx myself as I only have the one raspberry pi and I use it with a DVAP for use with DSTAR. (Amateur radio)
mpmc wrote: The howling tone that is used by default is the same one I hear on a BT Line not connected to the obi which is why I asked whether it was custom :)
At the time it was custom, I worked with obihai to configure the obihai devices with compatible UK settings with the aim that they would configure devices used in the UK with these settings as default. So it's possible they are using some or all of the above settings now as standard. (I'd have to check this though)

The default howling tone was I believe: 480+3,620+3;10;(.125+.125)
mpmc wrote: The CPCTimeThreshold is the only option I can see with the 110 I can't seem to find the CPCDuration option, I've set CPCTimeThreshold to 9 and it works fine still :)
Unfortunately I myself have not had a 110 to test, in that case the CPCDuration setting must be used on the 200 series and not the 100 series.
mpmc wrote: Unfortunately we don't have another phone to test the default values but I do use MicroSIP and that works okay (the volume stays constant) but it does echo a bit.

No worries, it's always best to keep a corded phone as a spare, purchased one myself of ebay for £1.99.

I would try different impedance values in the mean time, it's possible that there are settings pre set in the raspbx that are causing a conflict although I'm taking a wild guess on that. Are the audio issues present when the device is running on it's factory default values?

I just googled and found this thread: https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php ... 424.0;wap2

If you can try different impedance values and get back to me and let me know the result and should that not work I will send an email to Mark over at Obihai and ask him to test the above settings on an oBihai 110 and see if he has the same audio issues in a similar setup. It maybe an issue within the raspbx setup and not the oBi110 itself.
I've done some tests and this is the result:

- These tests were done using the default RX values and bypassing asterisk, dialing 1471 and phffing down the phone (yes I said phffing :D phfffffffffffff)
Code: Select all
600: 
	Slight echo that fades then volume flucutates afterwards.

900:
	As above.

270+(750||150nF) and 275+(780||150nF):
	Slight echo that fades after a few seconds volume then fluctuates.

220+(820||120nF) and 220(820||150nF):
	Echo sounds slightly clipped (noise cancellation?) that fades, volume then fluctuates after a few seconds.

370+(620||310nF):
	Stuttering clipped echo that fades, volume fluctuates. 

320+(1050||230nF):
	Louder clipped echo that fades, volume fluctuates.

370+(820||110nF):
	No echo (woop!), volume fluctuates.

275+(780||115nF):
	Very loud clipped echo (sounded like a mic hitting something whilst on), volume fluctuates.

120+(820||110nF):
	Small echo, volume fluctuates.

350+(1000||210nF):
	Very small echo that fades, volume fluctuates.

200+(680||100nF):
	Screeching echo at start that fades slightly, volume fluctuates.

600+2.16uF:
	No echo, volume fluctuates.

900+1uF:
	As above.

900+2.16uF:
	Screeching clipped echo/DTMF tones, volume fluctuates.

600+1uF:
	Small echo, volume fluctuates.

Global:
	Small echo at start which disappears, volume fluctuates.

This took me over an hour.. Now if you'll excuse me..

*Goes high pitched and all posh lady like*..

"Telephone number 0 8 0 0 3 2 8 9 3 9 3 called today at..."..

:eh: :problem: :o :shock: :crazy:
By WelshPaul
Wow you've been busy lol...

Ideally you need to make sure your using an rj11 to bt adaptor and try a different phone connected to the obi110 to rule out the Motorola DECT phone as being the cause.

I will send an email to Mark over at OBihai with a link to this thread and ask his advice, he is a member here so he may post a reply himself if not I will update you once I get a reply.
By mpmc
WelshPaul wrote:Wow you've been busy lol...

Ideally you need to make sure your using an rj11 to bt adaptor* and try a different phone connected to the obi110 to rule out the Motorola DECT phone as being the cause.

I will send an email to Mark over at OBihai with a link to this thread and ask his advice, he is a member here so he may post a reply himself if not I will update you once I get a reply.
Yup I am using a RJ11 to BT adapter.

I honestly suspect it's these Motorola phones because if I talk quiet it doesn't decrease the volume so bad, I talk louder and the volume goes down.

I guess we'll just have to replace these phones, I think we do have another pair of dect phone although I'm not sure if they've been thrown away or not.

I'll test a bit more and get back to you.

- Once again thanks for your help.
By WelshPaul
I've dropped an email over to Mark just in case I've missed something but in all honestly I think the issue is with your Motorola DECT phones myself. I've got a pair of Panasonic DECT phones here that I purchased for around the £120 mark a few years ago now and they started to give me choppy audio and as I'm too tight to buy another set I dusted down a Snom 821 and I'm using that for my home line for now. :P
By mpmc
Great thanks :)

I have a slightly different question, I mentioned in one of my previous posts I'd setup the Obi to route all calls to a Pi using one of the service providers as the line and another for the phone port.

I'm wondering whether there is another way to do this as I'd like to add another service provider once I find one that offers unlimited landline (inc the 084* numbers) as well as a few 100 mobile minutes a month instead of paying BT their high prices! I can't believe they're starting to charge for caller display too when most voip providers offer that for free! :/
By ObihaiMark
So I've had a read through the thread and I'm inclined to think it's a problem with the handsets. I have to say mpmc, you are perseverant testing every impedance setting - but that test would certainly point to the handset as the volume fluctuated on every single setting. So if you can borrow a corded analogue phone to test with then we should be able to get to the bottom of it. If you do find the problem occurring after testing with a corded handset then I can drop you another 110 in the post to test with.

Now to get some extra SP slots "free of charge" on the OBi, you can use the Voice Gateway functionality (Voice Service -> Gateways and Trunk Groups) - have a read of this post at the OBiTALK forum which explains it quite well: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=526.0
By mpmc
ObihaiMark wrote:So I've had a read through the thread and I'm inclined to think it's a problem with the handsets. I have to say mpmc, you are perseverant testing every impedance setting - but that test would certainly point to the handset as the volume fluctuated on every single setting. So if you can borrow a corded analogue phone to test with then we should be able to get to the bottom of it. If you do find the problem occurring after testing with a corded handset then I can drop you another 110 in the post to test with.

Now to get some extra SP slots "free of charge" on the OBi, you can use the Voice Gateway functionality (Voice Service -> Gateways and Trunk Groups) - have a read of this post at the OBiTALK forum which explains it quite well: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=526.0
Hi Mark (I always find it weird saying Hi to another Mark :p),

I've bought a Argos value range corded phone off ebay for £3.75 so should be able to test using that when it arrives and I'll update here. :D
Also I'm receiving newsletters from obihai.com but these are US centric (mostly about US based services) is there any plans to offer an EU/UK version?
By ObihaiMark
Hi Mark :) Hopefully the Argos phone does the job!

On the newsletters, we hadn't actually thought about doing something more UK-specific, although you should start to see some more UK-relevant info trickle through in the coming few months. If we have enough news to generate a UK/EU newsletter on it's own then it would definitely be something we'd consider doing.
By WelshPaul
Thanks ObihaiMark for responding to Marks thread, I have split your original post and it's replies into a new thread of its own Mark.

Let us know if the problem persists with the new corded phone once you receive it, I'm confident it will be fine. Very kind of you to offer to send a replacement out ObihaiMark should the issue remain. :thumbsup:
By mpmc
WelshPaul wrote:Thanks ObihaiMark for responding to Marks thread, *I have split your original post and it's replies into a new thread of its own Mark.

**Let us know if the problem persists with the new corded phone once you receive it, I'm confident it will be fine. ***Very kind of you to offer to send a replacement out ObihaiMark should the issue remain. :thumbsup:

** I've received the corded phone today, no volume fluctuation, so it would appear to be the Motorola DECT phone causing the issue! :thumbsdown:

*** Yes it is indeed very kind of him, sorry for not mentioning it in my last post!

I have another suggestion ObihaiMark! Obihai DECT VOIP phones! :D and I've also got another little problem the Obi110 will sometimes just drop a call a second or two after it comes through.
Call 4	07/25/2014    09:38:33	

Terminal ID	SP2	PHONE1
Peer Name	08003289393	
Peer Number	08003289393	
Direction	Inbound	Inbound
09:38:33	Ringing	
09:38:39		Call Connected
09:38:44		End Call
Call 5	07/25/2014    09:38:32	

Terminal ID	LINE1	SP1
Peer Name		
Peer Number	08003289393	
Direction	Inbound	Outbound
09:38:32	Ringing	
09:38:39		Call Connected
09:38:44		End Call
And this is what Asterisk says.
2014-07-25 09:36:09		1406277369.33	"housephone "<1000>	<0247639****>		Playback	17070	FAILED	00:03				
2014-07-25 09:35:42		1406277342.30	"08003289393 "<08003289393>		s	Dial	600	NO ANSWER	00:02				
2014-07-25 09:35:15		1406277315.28	"housephone "<1000>	<0247639****>		Dial	17070	ANSWERED	00:22	
This never happened with my previous misconfiguration settings.

Any clues?
By WelshPaul
That sounds like it could be the OBi110 falsely detecting a CPC (disconnect) signal on the pstn line.

A CPC signal is a momentary drop in voltage on the line and as we both know there is a setting for the "minimum duration in ms to declare a cpc signal" called CPCTimeThreshold. :D

I would try raising that setting to require a slightly longer drop in voltage before disconnecting the line and see if that helps.