VoIP hardware is developing fast - this is where you ask all those “how do I make my SIP Telephone, Adapter or Asterisk box work with my voip provider?” questions.
By worxit
Hi there,

I'm new to forums and pretty new to voip as well.

Im looking to get signed up with voipfone, but before I do I want to try and make sure the hardware i've got is going to work.

I've been given a cisco 7911, bit tatty but been told it works fine.

From the reading of the forums i've done already, it would seem I need to update the SIP firmware on it, but im unsure if the one in the thread for the 79xx phones will be compatible. It only seems to make reference to the 7940 and 7960?

Am I right in assuming, if I get the SIP upgrade wrong, I'll turn the phone into a doorstop?

I am about to download the Solarwinds TFTP application, but im not quite sure whether I need to use the Serial-RJ45 cable I have, or a corssover cat5 cable?

If anyone could give me a few pointers i'd be very grateful.

Kind Regards

Chris

PS - This is an incredible resource of information! Found out more here in a few hours than I have after trawling the net for days!
By WelshPaul
Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum. You're right, the firmware for the 7940 and 7960 series is different from the 7941, 7911 and 7961 series. It's difficult to obtain these without a contract from Cisco or a Cisco partner. Pretty sure I have them on my hard drive somewhere and if so, I can send you the firmware files if you cannot obtain them.

The second thing to note here is that the configuration files for the 7911, 41 and 61 phones are XML based and also very different from the 7940 and 7960 phones. I can also send you a configuration file if required too.

Finally, currently Voipfone doesn't work with the 7911, 7941 and 7961 series phones. I believe this is to do with the auto detection and use of NAT (symmetric NAT). I have been in contact with voipfone support to see if we can get their service working with these models of phones, after all, they are better than their 7940 and 7960 predecessors. If this fails, there are a few voip providers that give you the option to turn off the use of symmetric NAT.
By worxit
Hi there, thanks for the reply.

I'd really appreciate the config files for the 7911, also the firmware.

My email address is chriswalsill@ virginmedia.com (no spaces-antispam)

And its a shame they dont work with Voipfone , but as im trying to keep costs down, i'll keep the phone and would be very grateful if you could let me know of a provider that would be suitable with this handset.

Thanks for your help WelshPaul