VoIP hardware is developing fast - this is where you ask all those “how do I make my SIP Telephone, Adapter or Asterisk box work with my voip provider?” questions.
By mpmc
Good morning!
I've been doing some more testing and I've realised that no matter what I try I doubt I'll ever get to the bottom of this. :(
I've reset the Obi and configured it for the UK and the echo is still present (corded phone, no Pi involved this time).

The only thing I can think of is the Obi110 must seriously hate our line!
By mpmc
WelshPaul wrote:Could be the phone and not the OBi110. I take it if you plug the corded phone into the PSTN line it works just fine?
This is what I don't get, If plug in both phones (not at the same time, one dect and one corded) directly to the line, no echo, If I plug them into the Obi I get echo.

I don't think it's the Obi110 either, I'm thinking it could be something to do with our VDSL and maybe the Obi doesn't like it. It's the only thing it can be now.

btw, did you get my Private msg with the Audio samples? :)
By WelshPaul
mpmc wrote:btw, did you get my Private msg with the Audio samples? :)
I did yes. I have not responded because I attended a beer festival... :lol:

I see I have a few PM's so once I drink several coffee's I shall respond to those. :thumbsup:
By mpmc
WelshPaul wrote:
mpmc wrote:btw, did you get my Private msg with the Audio samples? :)
I did yes. I have not responded because I attended a beer festival... :lol:

I see I have a few PM's so once I drink several coffee's I shall respond to those. :thumbsup:
Awesome - I don't drink at all myself but I hear they're fun! :D.
The reason I asked is because my message stayed in the out-box for while and wasn't sure I'd set the BCC correctly. (I'm not a fan of PHPBB forums the message system is horrible (I've been writing PHP since I was 15 and had to deal with it a lot).)
By WelshPaul
mpmc wrote:The reason I asked is because my message stayed in the out-box for while and wasn't sure I'd set the BCC correctly. (I'm not a fan of PHPBB forums the message system is horrible (I've been writing PHP since I was 15 and had to deal with it a lot).)
I used phpBB because it's free! :oops: I have used it for years and find it easy to work with, know it inside and out. That being said I understand your comments about the messaging system.
By WelshPaul
I have just installed RasPBX on my Raspberry PI. Slow slow slow is the user interface results lol :lol:

Setup a single extension, trunk and outbound route and the results over wifi = choppy cut up audio so much so even an echo test gives me poor results. :o

I obviously expect better results when I test it tomorrow using Ethernet, I should point out my pi is not over clocked like yours mpmc, but being a MODEL B revision it does has 512MB ram compared to your pi's 256MB ram :think:
By mpmc
WelshPaul wrote:I have just installed RasPBX on my Raspberry PI. Slow slow slow is the user interface results lol :lol:

Setup a single extension, trunk and outbound route and the results over wifi = choppy cut up audio so much so even an echo test gives me poor results. :o

I obviously expect better results when I test it tomorrow using Ethernet, I should point out my pi is not over clocked like yours mpmc, but being a MODEL B revision it does has 512MB ram compared to your pi's 256MB ram :think:
Thanks for testing with your Pi :).
The Gigaset phones unfortunately have made little difference :thumbsdown:. On the bright side the white noise hasn't returned yet.

I'm thinking about either purchasing a different ATA or an Obi202 with the Obiline but unfortunately from the reviews I've read it looks like many appear to suffer with echo on that too so I'm kind of reluctant to buy it.
By WelshPaul
Better results using Ethernet with my Pi :)

I have a spare OBi202 here along with an OBiLINE adpator however I don't have an active PSTN line anymore... I will test my old BT phone socket later as they don't actually kill them any more, they simply leave them active but you cant dial out other than 999 or receive any calls! You can however dial 17070 ;)

If my old BT line works, I shall connect it all up and try a test using nothing but stock default values and see if I have any issues with echo or other audio issues. If not your welcome to them if you pay postage. :thumbsup:
By mpmc
WelshPaul wrote:Better results using Ethernet with my Pi :)

I have a spare OBi202 here along with an OBiLINE adpator however I don't have an active PSTN line anymore... I will test my old BT phone socket later as they don't actually kill them any more, they simply leave them active but you cant dial out other than 999 or receive any calls! You can however dial 17070 ;)

If my old BT line works, I shall connect it all up and try a test using nothing but stock default values and see if I have any issues with echo or other audio issues. If not your welcome to them if you pay postage. :thumbsup:
Extremely kind of you to offer and it's really appreciated :) and I might take you up on it :thumbsup: but atm I'm considering our options either by completely switching to VOIP (meaning no echo) or using something like voip2go for outgoing calls and cancelling the unlimited call package we currently have with BT.

Switching to VOIP completely would mean having to port our number which also means having no internet and with the rigmarole we had last time (no internet for 3 months) I don't fancy having to go through that again. :sick:

Any advice (or recommendations for VOIP, PSTN + broadband) would be awesome :)

Cheers.
By WelshPaul
Really porting your number over sounds the best option. Although....

You could use VoIP to make calls and keep your number with whoever you use now? Just have your VoIP provider set your PSTN number as your VoIP caller ID.

That way when you call someone from your VoIP line it shows your home phone number on the caller display of the person your ringing and nobody but you knows any different. I use this feature myself!

Ok anyone who calls you on your home number will mean answering it either via your PSTN socket or via an ATA that is connected to it in turn.