VoIP hardware is developing fast - this is where you ask all those “how do I make my SIP Telephone, Adapter or Asterisk box work with my voip provider?” questions.
By mash
Hello, here's my first post. I'm new to the OBi110 but I've been using VoIP phones for a few years now.

I've set up my OBi110 as per the UK regional settings on this forum and set up Asterisk on a Raspberry Pi to route my calls according to whether the caller id is withheld or not. Unfortunately the OBi110 is failing to detect the caller id on occasions and therefore Asterisk cannot handle the call correctly. The ring tone is only heard for 4 seconds if the OBi110 correctly detects the caller id. Other times when the caller id has not been detected correctly (blank Peer Number in Call History), the OBi110 has taken up to 18 seconds to pick up the call. I've tried this with my normal BT phone plugged in and out and get the same results. When the BT phone is in service the caller id is shown every time as soon as the phone starts ringing.

The only difference that I can see between the UK regional setting and my OBi110 settings is this
CallerIDDetectMethod: ETSI FSK With PR(UK)
CallerIDDetectMethod: FSK(V.23)

I hope someone can advise what other settings to tweak to make caller id detection reliable.
By WelshPaul
Morning mash,

Are you using your OBi110 with a PSTN line and a VoIP service provider or are you using it with just the one service? If just the one service I take it it's the PSTN one.

I see you stated that your settings do not reflect that of the ones listed in the UK regional settings XML :
mash wrote:The only difference that I can see between the UK regional setting and my OBi110 settings is this
CallerIDDetectMethod: ETSI FSK With PR(UK)
CallerIDDetectMethod: FSK(V.23)
If CallerIDDetectMethod is not set as ETSI FSK With PR(UK) under Line Port then change is so that it is. Again do the same with the CallerIDDetectMethod parameter as this should be set to FSK(V.23)

Make sure you save the changes and reboot the device.

Also try looking and comparing the values shown here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=175
By mash
Thank you for the quick response.

My OBi110 setup is Line input from PSTN and output to SP2, Asterisk SIP extensions via hacked BTHHs, Asterisk Trunk to VoIP service provider. All inward calls are from PSTN and all outward calls are to VoIP from the SIP extensions. The phone connected to the OBi110 phone port is only used for calling out to PSTN.

The CallerIDDetectMethod in the Line Port settings does not have an option for ETSI FSK With PR(UK) on the OBi110, so I've set it to FSK(V.23). The CallerIDMethod in the Phone Port settings is set to FSK(V.23)
By WelshPaul
mash wrote:Thank you for the quick response.

My OBi110 setup is Line input from PSTN and output to SP2, Asterisk SIP extensions via hacked BTHHs, Asterisk Trunk to VoIP service provider. All inward calls are from PSTN and all outward calls are to VoIP from the SIP extensions. The phone connected to the OBi110 phone port is only used for calling out to PSTN.

The CallerIDDetectMethod in the Line Port settings does not have an option for ETSI FSK With PR(UK) on the OBi110, so I've set it to FSK(V.23). The CallerIDMethod in the Phone Port settings is set to FSK(V.23)
Ah right I got you. I have never seen or used an OBi110 myself, I tried looking at the available values here: http://www.obihai.com/uidemos/obi110/i however when removing the tick from the default field I am still unable to make any changes or view the available values.

Try X_SpoofCallerID : (checked)

In the meantime setting both to FSK(V.23) is the logical thing to do. I have dropped Mark at Obihai an email with a link to this thread so hopefully he will be able to offer some assistance. I will do a little research on this myself though in the meantime and will let you know what I come up with.
By mash
Hi WelshPaul, things are getting worse. With the InboundCallRoute going to SP2, I had a strange Call History entry ...
call history #1.jpg
Call 11 and 12 are the same inbound call but spread over 2 calls in the call history!

I then changed the InboundCallRoute to ph to make sure Asterisk wasn't causing a problem and got this which caused the phone to ring once on call 1 but no ring on call 2. I got the dial tone on the phone while the calling phone still had a ringing tone
call history #2.jpg
By WelshPaul
Looking at your last post and the images of the logs I would agree with Mark about increasing the CPCTimeThreshold as we have come across issues with the recommended UK value and the OBi110 before.

Let us know how you get on.
By mash
Hi WelshPaul & ObihaiMark,

CPCTimeThreshold set to 90 and the strange behaviour in post 5 has been resolved. Thanks for that.

Unfortunately I'm still having problems with failure to detect Caller ID (about 20% of test calls are failing). A phone in another PSTN socket was showing correct CID every time. I disconnected this phone in case it was affecting the timing of the V.23 data reception but OBi110 CID detection rate did not improve. Is the 'ETSI FSK With PR(UK)' a more reliable CallerID Detect Method than 'FSK(V.23)'? Are there any other setting that I can tweak?
By WelshPaul
mash wrote:Hi WelshPaul & ObihaiMark,

CPCTimeThreshold set to 90 and the strange behaviour in post 5 has been resolved. Thanks for that.

Unfortunately I'm still having problems with failure to detect Caller ID (about 20% of test calls are failing). A phone in another PSTN socket was showing correct CID every time. I disconnected this phone in case it was affecting the timing of the V.23 data reception but OBi110 CID detection rate did not improve. Is the 'ETSI FSK With PR(UK)' a more reliable CallerID Detect Method than 'FSK(V.23)'? Are there any other setting that I can tweak?
Glad to see post 5's issue is resolved, shame to see the caller ID is still failing. :(
Is it failing to detect the caller ID on both VoIP and PSTN calls or just PSTN calls?
By mash
WelshPaul wrote: Is it failing to detect the caller ID on both VoIP and PSTN calls or just PSTN calls?
Caller ID detection is failing on PSTN calls. I don't have any incoming VoIP calls into the OBi110, VoIP is only used for outgoing calls via Asterisk from the separate SIP extensions.
By WelshPaul
This is very odd! I can only find one other post that sounds similar to your problem: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5349.0

Sadly it looks like the issue was never resolved or if it was they never posted a fix or a reason. Strangely though in that post above they tested their OBi on another PSTN line at another location and it worked just fine. Who provides your PSTN line? Is it an openreach exchange type line supplied by the likes of BT or SKY or a Virgin Media landline? (Not Virgin Media National that's for non cabled areas so they use openreach lines)
By mash
WelshPaul wrote:Who provides your PSTN line? Is it an openreach exchange type line supplied by the likes of BT or SKY or a Virgin Media landline? (Not Virgin Media National that's for non cabled areas so they use openreach lines)
It's an Openreach line and my phone in another PSTN socket has a 100% Caller ID detection rate. I've also tried another phone in the same socket and using the same cable that the OBi110 uses and this also has a 100% Caller ID detection rate on 30 test phone calls.
By WelshPaul
I'm not passing the buck... I was just wondering if maybe something on the line or in the exchange was causing a compatibility issue with the standard values or recommended UK defaults that are in use by the OBi. That's not to say if that was the case it's the fault of the line.

I will go through the settings of the OBi110 and see what else I can come up with shortly.
By WelshPaul
Can you send me a copy of your current configuration settings? System Settings > Device Update > Backup Configuration

Leave check boxes empty and click on backup. An XML file will be downloaded, remove any sensitive info from it though such as passwords or usernames.

You can PM it to me or email to admin at ukvoipforums dot com. I will be able to check what you have modified and if those changes are correct.