VoIP hardware is developing fast - this is where you ask all those “how do I make my SIP Telephone, Adapter or Asterisk box work with my voip provider?” questions.

Advertisement

By Sponsor
By kaiuk
The problem I found with the Avaya 9608 IP phone is that you don't seem to be able to set a different ringtone for direct dial numbers and those calling internally. What I'd like is to set one ringtone for 'outside callers', and a different one if someone within the organisation is calling me.

Does anyone know a way of making this happen?

Advertisement

By Sponsor
By WelshPaul
There is an option in the under "system options" called internal ring cadence for external callers; this is where you can have the system do a double ring for External and a single ring for internal or vice versa.

The Avaya can only do 1 long ring for internal calls and 2 short rings for external, that's it.

EDIT: It has to be supported on the PBX side, if your using a sip provider they may not support distinctive ringing. You need to email the and ask.
By kaiuk
Thanks for the info but unfortunately i couldn't find that option anywhere. I looked on the phone and on the server side of things but could not find the ' internal ring cadence for external callers'.

What i did find was the option for a different ring for internal/external callers - but this was for analogue lines only not digital. One would assume that there are more options for digital rather than analogue!
By WelshPaul
kaiuk wrote:What i did find was the option for a different ring for internal/external callers - but this was for analogue lines only not digital. One would assume that there are more options for digital rather than analogue!
I'm confused, the Avaya 9608 is an IP phone that runs the SIP protocol.

It doesn't support or work with any analouge phone systems.

Are you accessing the phones configuration options via the built in web based GUI or via the phones keypad/display? You need to access the web based GUI otherwise you will only have limited access to it's features.
By kaiuk
Sorry, a bit of clarification on my part is needed! I looked at the menu structure on the phone itself but sadly couldn't find anything to change those ringtones. I have these phones connected to a VoIP business network controlled by a server and this server can modify the settings of all connected phones. On the server it has an option to change ringtones for analogue or digital phones whichever is connected. Haven't got any analogues so not much use there!

Haven't tried the web interface, but will definitely try it. I assume it's just a case of typing in the IP address in a browser and hope there isn't a username and password for it!
By WelshPaul
kaiuk wrote:I have these phones connected to a VoIP business network controlled by a server and this server can modify the settings of all connected phones.
There is little point then in making any changes to the phones configuration via the phone itself then, whatever changes you make will be overwritten by the servers configuration file once pushed to the phone. You will need to make the changes server side and have it push the updated configuration to the phones.

How you do this comes down to several things... what PBX is it that your using, do you have access to it and are you allowed to make these change and remember - one incorrect setting or push the wrong button and you could take the whole PBX down.
By kaiuk
The phones are on a different IP range so i'll have to set up a test laptop and plug it into the switch which has the same IP range. The back of the phone has a spare pass through port so i suppose i could try plugging it in there.

Fortunately i have access to the server that controls the phones but there is no option on it to change the ring tune for internal / external callers. If there is one on the phone itself then that would be good enough! Will plug something into the spare port and check the browser settings.
By WelshPaul
kaiuk wrote:i have access to the server that controls the phones but there is no option on it to change the ring tune for internal / external callers.
There wouldn't be, you need to manually add the correct syntax to the auto provisioning file which will either be in the format of an XML, CFG or encrypted CFG file. This is the file that get's pushed to the server and configures the phone. You need to locate this file, edit it with a suitable program and add the additional syntax for your phone. (Refer to your phones documentation)

Take a look at the example XML auto provisioning file for a Snom phone below:
Example file name: http://domain/snom3x0/specific.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<settings>
<phone-settings>
<user_pname idx="1" perm="R">AUTHUSER1</user_pname>
<user_pass idx="1" perm="R">AUTHPASSWORD1</user_pass>
<user_name idx="1" perm="R">LINEPORT1</user_name>
<user_realname idx="1" perm="R">User1</user_realname>
<user_host idx="1" perm="R">proxy1.net</user_host>
<user_dp_str idx="1" perm="">!([^#]%2b)#!sip:\1@\d!d</user_dp_str>
</phone-settings>
</settings>
If I wanted to turn on RTP encryption via SRTP for my Snom phones then I would need to add <user_srtp idx="1" perm="RW">off</user_srtp> to the above configuration file so it looks like this:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<settings>
<phone-settings>
<user_pname idx="1" perm="R">AUTHUSER1</user_pname>
<user_pass idx="1" perm="R">AUTHPASSWORD1</user_pass>
<user_name idx="1" perm="R">LINEPORT1</user_name>
<user_realname idx="1" perm="R">User1</user_realname>
<user_host idx="1" perm="R">proxy1.net</user_host>
<user_srtp idx="1" perm="RW">off</user_srtp>
<user_dp_str idx="1" perm="">!([^#]%2b)#!sip:\1@\d!d</user_dp_str>
</phone-settings>
</settings>
I then upload it back to the server which in turn will push the changes to the phones. I am not familiar with Avaya provisioning but I believe the file you need to edit is called system.prv?

You should have documentation listing all the configuration details needed for auto provisioning.

Additionally distinctive ringing may not be enabled server side, if that's the case you will also need to re-configure your servers configuration files. What server are you running? An example of how to enable distinctive ringing on a server running FreePBX can be found here: http://www.freepbx.org/support/document ... articular-
kaiuk wrote:If there is one on the phone itself then that would be good enough! Will plug something into the spare port and check the browser settings.
I would try this myself first, you may get lucky and the changes you make don't get overridden.
By kaiuk
I found a cfg file on the server and tried to open it with notepad, however it was just gobbledegoo so it must have been encrypted. Don't think i would be able to understand it if it was readable, the guide doesn't have any programming instructions with it. I think it will need a phone call to high level support - if they put me through!

Tried to access the phone via a website by using a computer on the same IP range but it just timed out, i don't think those phones have a web configuration page. That means it's either the phone menu or the server - and probably means i'm SOL :(

Advertisement

By Sponsor

Just found out that the latest firmware build for …

Supported Products: OBi504vs OBi508vs Firm…

Supported Products: OBi200 OBi202 OBi300 OB…

These are unlocked and unbranded Snom 760 IP Phone…