VoIP hardware is developing fast - this is where you ask all those “how do I make my SIP Telephone, Adapter or Asterisk box work with my voip provider?” questions.

Advertisement

By Sponsor
By chelsknits
I'm just beginning with VoIP and as far as I know, I have nothing to actively start using it. What hardware do you need when you're just starting out and how much does it cost? Also, I checked out the phone setup forum and realized they're all names I've never even heard of. What brand of phone would you suggest for a beginner?

Advertisement

By Sponsor
By WelshPaul
chelsknits wrote:I'm just beginning with VoIP and as far as I know, I have nothing to actively start using it. What hardware do you need when you're just starting out and how much does it cost? Also, I checked out the phone setup forum and realized they're all names I've never even heard of. What brand of phone would you suggest for a beginner?
Hi chelsknits,

All you really need is one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005FSTM0G/r ... EJ2A6RCCJE
You take any traditional corded telephone or DECT telephone and plug it into the back of the OBi100 in the link above and then use an ethernet cable to connect the OBi100 to your router. You have everything you need hardware wise to use VoIP. :thumbsup:

Handy for a second phone line or as a replacement for your main land line as long as you have an active broadband connection. :)
By chelsknits
WelshPaul wrote: Hi chelsknits,

All you really need is one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005FSTM0G/r ... EJ2A6RCCJE
You take any traditional corded telephone or DECT telephone and plug it into the back of the OBi100 in the link above and then use an ethernet cable to connect the OBi100 to your router. You have everything you need hardware wise to use VoIP. :thumbsup:

Handy for a second phone line or as a replacement for your main land line as long as you have an active broadband connection. :)
Oh wow, I had no idea that that was all it took! When I saw a whole section about hardware I was assuming it took a lot more than that to actually get going. So you absolutely need what you linked me to, right? Without that, I can't start?
By chelsknits
wahmed wrote:This really depends in your provider. You could need a headset or you could need a whole set up. You will probably need an ATA, a VoIP router , telephone sets and PC hand and head sets
What exactly do you mean by "a whole set up"? Would that just be all of the stuff that you listed? As for headsets, do you need the headphones with the mic attached or is using the earphones with the mic on the cord okay? I've never really used those type of earphones before since I've never really needed them but I prefer earphones over headphones so if I could get away with using those, I'd prefer it. Headphones tend to hurt my ears after a while.
By kylerlittle
dibts wrote:Any smart phone will do in my opinion, given that the software if the latest whether it's of Android or iOS. This is so you could get the full potential of your VoiP App.
That's true, but I guess it differs sometimes in terms of how it functions due to specifications.
By chelsknits
dibts wrote:Any smart phone will do in my opinion, given that the software if the latest whether it's of Android or iOS. This is so you could get the full potential of your VoiP App.
They have VoIP apps? I wasn't even aware of this! If I could use my smart phone for this, that would be absolutely awesome. Could you suggest an app to me and explain how it would work so I can look into it further?
By Bonzer
The answer provided by Welshpaul was adequate and good. You can talk to anyone from your VoIP phone with zero cost and zero rental to your telecom provider. If you have an unlimited data plan, then sky is the limit. I think you can call your neighbor the same way as you do with your cousin on the other side of the globe.
By sbatz1972
I am not sure how much the hardware costs, because this would depend on where you purchase the hardware. The hardware varies. The most important piece of hardware you will need for VoIP is something that will produce an Internet connection, so be it a computer, smart phone, game box, etc. You also need an approved VoIP headset with microphone. This usually includes a USB connection device now and not the 3.5 mm Jack connection plugs of the past.

Advertisement

By Sponsor

Just found out that the latest firmware build for …

Supported Products: OBi504vs OBi508vs Firm…

Supported Products: OBi200 OBi202 OBi300 OB…

These are unlocked and unbranded Snom 760 IP Phone…