VoIP hardware is developing fast - this is where you ask all those “how do I make my SIP Telephone, Adapter or Asterisk box work with my voip provider?” questions.
By BeanKeeper
Everyone says I can save tons of money if I use switch to a softphone but I don't really understand how it all works. I saw the "What is a Softphone?" post but I have some questions.

1. Can it receive incoming calls?
2. If it can receive incoming calls:
2a. How does it notify me?
2b. Will I be aware someone is calling me if I'm in the other room?
2c. Is there voicemail if I miss a call?
3. Do I have to turn on a specific program every day on the computer?
4. Is this something best used for outgoing calls?
By kylerlittle
It would notify you depending what you actually use, like a phone I would say? You can receive incoming calls for sure, I don't know if you will be aware, it depends what service you use. There is a voicemail feature depending on which one you actually use. Yes, you have to turn on a specific program, but it again depends on what you want to use. I think for outgoing calls it's great.
By WelshPaul
BeanKeeper wrote:Everyone says I can save tons of money if I use switch to a softphone but I don't really understand how it all works. I saw the "What is a Softphone?" post but I have some questions.

1. Can it receive incoming calls?
Yes.
BeanKeeper wrote:2. If it can receive incoming calls:
2a. How does it notify me?
Your device will ring, just like a traditional telephone or cell phone.
BeanKeeper wrote:2b. Will I be aware someone is calling me if I'm in the other room?
If you can hear it ringing then yes. Again same as any normal landline or cell phone really.
BeanKeeper wrote:2c. Is there voicemail if I miss a call?
Yes.
BeanKeeper wrote:3. Do I have to turn on a specific program every day on the computer?
Yes. Your computer must be turned on and you must have the softphone running.
BeanKeeper wrote:4. Is this something best used for outgoing calls?
I would say so, I'm not a fan of softphones other than for making occasional outgoing calls to save on bills.

If you're working in front of a PC 9-5 then again a softphone might be suitable for inbound or outbound calls. You're better off installing a softphone app on your mobile phone these days and use WiFi around the house - which is what i do!

The price of ATA's these days means your better off just buying one and connecting a dect phone to it. No starting up software or leaving a PC switched on 24/7.
By Sunflogun
Actually there is not much to it. Basically it's just an application or software you have that allows you to make and receive calls over the internet. Sure, you need a headset, but those come cheap. Also, you are already paying for the internet, so nothing like taking advantage of what it offers.