VoIP hardware is developing fast - this is where you ask all those “how do I make my SIP Telephone, Adapter or Asterisk box work with my voip provider?” questions.

Advertisement

By Sponsor
By paul1609
I have the rather strange combination above installed in my home! for some time it all worked ok but then unfortunately the obihai unit was water damaged and I had to obtain a replacement.
Ive downloaded the UK configuration files but since the new unit was installed Ive had a problem with the phone not hanging up. After a call the phone 1 led remains blinking and I can't clear the line by pressing the cradle. If I disconnect the plug from the unit the phone indication goes steady and I can then plug it back in and all is well until the next call. The switch in the phone itself seems to be working okay and I guess its some configuration issue but I can't work it out! Any ideas?

Advertisement

By Sponsor
By WelshPaul
Hi Paul,

Before I advise on changing any settings have you tried the obvious and connected another corded telephone to your OBi202? And if so is the issue still present?
By paul1609
Hi Paul,
yes, Ive tried it with another corded phone and it works okay. I don't have a PSTN line to try the 121 phone on as I rely on a local Wimax operator for my internet.
I have it in my mind that the phone and pulse to tone unit are just drawing enough current when the phone is on the hook that the obihai thinks its off the hook.
By WelshPaul
paul1609 wrote:Hi Paul,
I have it in my mind that the phone and pulse to tone unit are just drawing enough current when the phone is on the hook that the obihai thinks its off the hook.
Could very well be! I'm no expert when it comes to old rotary phones and pulse to tone converters...

I should of asked this in my last post... What type of pulse to tone unit are you using?

Is it like this: http://alldav.com/images/medium/P2Tv1_MED.JPG

Or hard wired like this: http://www.oldphoneworks.com/images/P/r ... d%20v2.jpg

If the latter you have wired up the power wires after the hook switch right? otherwise that would cause the phone to remain off the hook.

I am going to take a guess and assume it is similar to the one in the first link and from doing some research it appears that some units require more power than others, certain VoIP devices may not power the device properly.

Have you tried adjusting the the voltage and current of the OBi202 and if so what values have you tried? Also do you have a link to your converter? Or a make and model number?
By paul1609
Hello Paul,
The Pulse to tone unit is of the second type, it was already fitted to the phone when I purchased it. It doesn't have any make marked on the outside its just standard heat shrink. The unit does however follow all the conventions of a Rotatone unit.

The annoying thing is it worked perfectly on both a PSTN line and with the first obihai 202 unit that I had. This unfortunately was water damaged and I had to replace the unit.

Ive tried altering the the voltage and current under physical interfaces phone 1 but only to the standard obi line settings this had no effect.

I must admit that i don't really understand what the line settings do in a unit that has no PSTN connection and my experience of tinkering with Obihai has been limited to the gain in order to minimise the echo when using an obi line unit.

I did try to set up a route map so that I didn't have to dial the std code for my village but gave up on that as too difficult!

Any advice you could give would be gratefully accepted !
By WelshPaul
paul1609 wrote:Hello Paul,
The Pulse to tone unit is of the second type, it was already fitted to the phone when I purchased it. It doesn't have any make marked on the outside its just standard heat shrink. The unit does however follow all the conventions of a Rotatone unit.

The annoying thing is it worked perfectly on both a PSTN line and with the first obihai 202 unit that I had. This unfortunately was water damaged and I had to replace the unit.
Was the phone connected to the OBi when it suffered water damaged? and if not did you connect the phone to the OBi at any point after it had been water damaged? I'm wondering if maybe the pulse to tone unit is faulty... I guess you'd need to hook it up to a working PSTN line to find that out. :-/
paul1609 wrote:Ive tried altering the the voltage and current under physical interfaces phone 1 but only to the standard obi line settings this had no effect.
From what I have read online about these pulse to tone units they need to be wired up after the hook switch, and as yours has worked correctly with a previous OBi and PSTN line one would say it was definitely wired correctly (So that rules that one out). :)

The only other issue that people run into with these devices are incorrect power/current levels. Can you try factory resetting your OBi and without making any changes to it's configuration connect the BT 121 and dial ***9 222 222 222 - Once connected try hanging up. :)
paul1609 wrote:I did try to set up a route map so that I didn't have to dial the std code for my village but gave up on that as too difficult!
Now that's an easy one... hat is your area code? :P
By paul1609
Hi Paul,
The 121 works okay on a standard bt socket in the pub!
Ive carried out the factory reset as you suggest and the 121 now hangs up correctly. Ive put my service providers back in but other wise have left the configuration as original.
As regards the local calling my area code is 01797, all the village numbers start with 270 is it possible to come up with route map that allows you to just dial the villages 3 digits?
The whole village are still on exchange only lines which is apparently why we don't get fibre.
By WelshPaul
paul1609 wrote:Hi Paul,
The 121 works okay on a standard bt socket in the pub!
Interesting, the pulse to dial unit isn't faulty and clearly works with a UK configuration and power levels...
paul1609 wrote:Ive carried out the factory reset as you suggest and the 121 now hangs up correctly. Ive put my service providers back in but other wise have left the configuration as original.
Can you try uploading the UK configuration file again? Be interesting to see if the issue returns.
paul1609 wrote:As regards the local calling my area code is 01797, all the village numbers start with 270 is it possible to come up with route map that allows you to just dial the villages 3 digits?
This can be done by adding <01797270>xxx to your dialplan but doing so will cause some numbers to clash...

Let's say you dialled 999 in an emergency, you'd actually be calling the number 01797270999. We could overcome this issue by adding 999S0 and <01797270>xxxS2 to the dial plan but then you'd be unable to call the number 01797270999 when dialling 999.

You'd be better off adding the syntax <01797>270xxx to your dial plan and dialling 270 followed by the remaining three digits of your local number. I have attached a modified XML file for you to upload, This will configure your OBi202 to use UK dial tones and includes a UK dial plan with the <01797270>xxx syntax allowing you to call local numbers without the need to dial your local area code.
Modified UK config
(1.28 KiB) Downloaded 59 times

Advertisement

By Sponsor

Just found out that the latest firmware build for …

Supported Products: OBi504vs OBi508vs Firm…

Supported Products: OBi200 OBi202 OBi300 OB…

These are unlocked and unbranded Snom 760 IP Phone…