VoIP hardware is developing fast - this is where you ask all those “how do I make my SIP Telephone, Adapter or Asterisk box work with my voip provider?” questions.

Advertisement

By Sponsor
By sshaikh
Assuming an obi110 and correct asterisk set up:

1) Can I use my mobile/pc to answer incoming calls on the pstn line? Even when not at home?

2) Can I route incoming calls on the pstn landline to different users (eg their mobiles) in the house? "Press 1 for XXX" etc? Would each have their own voicemail? Can users transfer/conf calls between each other?

3) can the incoming call fall back to all of us if the caller doesn't know who to talk to?

4) can we use our mobiles to make outgoing calls on the landline? Even when not at home?

5) can all the above be done using a VoIP service simultaneously? How would a user decide how to route an outgoing call?

6) are there any more appropriate and current alternatives to the obi110?

Apologies for the trivial questions! I'm about to jump in with two feet so as long as I know the above is possible I'll start playing around myself.

Advertisement

By Sponsor
By WelshPaul
sshaikh wrote:Assuming an obi110 and correct asterisk set up:

1) Can I use my mobile/pc to answer incoming calls on the pstn line? Even when not at home?
Yes, however your asterisk box will need to configured to allow connections over the internet.
sshaikh wrote:2) Can I route incoming calls on the pstn landline to different users (eg their mobiles) in the house? "Press 1 for XXX" etc? Would each have their own voicemail? Can users transfer/conf calls between each other?
Yes, asterisk handles this if configured correctly.
sshaikh wrote:3) can the incoming call fall back to all of us if the caller doesn't know who to talk to?
Yes.
sshaikh wrote:4) can we use our mobiles to make outgoing calls on the landline? Even when not at home?
Yes, remember though only one outgoing call over the PSTN line at any one time.
sshaikh wrote:5) can all the above be done using a VoIP service simultaneously? How would a user decide how to route an outgoing call?
Yes.

There are various ways that a call can be routed out over a trunk. A few examples:
  • Dial a prefix, dial **1 for PSTN, **2 for VoIP provider 1.
  • Create custom dial plans, e.g. numbers starting with 01, 02, 03 go out over the PSTN, 07 numbers go via VoIP provider 1 and 08 numbers via VoIP Provider 2.
sshaikh wrote:6) are there any more appropriate and current alternatives to the obi110?
In my opinion, No.
By WelshPaul
sshaikh wrote:Assuming an obi110 and correct asterisk set up:

This is possible but you'd need a VoIP provider and 2 or more extensions. You could then configure the OBi to pass an inbound PSTN call to any phone connected to the OBi directly and the extensions I mentioned above. You would obviously need to install a softphone on your mobile/PC.

VoIP providers charge for extensions, somewhere around the £1 mark each. But there would be no per minute call charges for answering PSTN calls on your mobile/PC.
sshaikh wrote:2) Can I route incoming calls on the pstn landline to different users (eg their mobiles) in the house? "Press 1 for XXX" etc? Would each have their own voicemail? Can users transfer/conf calls between each other?
No, you would need a PBX such as asterisk to achieve this.
sshaikh wrote:3) can the incoming call fall back to all of us if the caller doesn't know who to talk to?
This would come under question 2.
sshaikh wrote:4) can we use our mobiles to make outgoing calls on the landline? Even when not at home?
Yes, you can use the built in obi attendant to make outbound calls over your PSTN line remotely. You're limited to one call at a time.

Advertisement

By Sponsor

Just found out that the latest firmware build for …

Supported Products: OBi504vs OBi508vs Firm…

Supported Products: OBi200 OBi202 OBi300 OB…

These are unlocked and unbranded Snom 760 IP Phone…