VoIP hardware is developing fast - this is where you ask all those “how do I make my SIP Telephone, Adapter or Asterisk box work with my voip provider?” questions.
By CJT-80
Good Afternoon,

I just wondered if anyone had any recommendations for a decent (but not too expensive) VoIP phone?

I looked at Gigaset http://www.gigaset.com/hq_en/telephones ... 10-ip.html and Grandstream http://www.voipsupply.com/grandstream-dp710 (I know the second link is in USD - easiest link I found)

Which of those two Brands would be considered to be worth while? Do both support PSTN as well as VoIP?

Thanks in advance for any help. :)
By WelshPaul
If it were myself looking to buy then i'd choose Gigaset too.

What I I don't like about these types of IP phones though is the price! You can buy an ATA and a set of DECT phones for a lot less and should any of the phones break, just throw them away and replace them with any brand in any price range you like. Remember, you still need to plug the base into the mains as well as every handset docking station! Only real installation benefit is that you don't need a BT cable coming from the DECT base going to an ATA...

What exactly is driving you insane obi wise? OBIHAI now only seem interested in Google Voice and monthly/annual subscription services. I now understand why no UK main stream VoIP provider sells/offers them! Their firmware deployment is dreadful with no changelog to boot! I still have an OBi1032 on the shelf covered in dust because it isn't capable of matching an incoming callers CLI to one stored in the phonebook. :-o

For the record, I still use an OBi202 for my home phone line and fax machine and it works a treat. :)

No doubt you already know this by now... Gigaset do the N300 and N300A base station, both looks like this:
n300-1.jpg
n300-1.jpg (19.9 KiB) Viewed 1608 times
The N300 series doesn't offer POE, supports 3 VoIP + 1 PSTN concurrent calls and allows upto 6 handsets to be registered at any one time. The only difference between the N300 and N300A is that the N300A version has a built in answerphone.

Gigaset also offer the N510 base station which looks like this:
Gigaset-n510.jpg
This base station cannot be connected to a PSTN line but does support POE! 4 concurrent VoIP calls can be made on this device and again it allows upto 6 handsets to be registered at any one time.

You can buy these as part of as package or on their own. So if you need the PSTN connection choose a package that comes with either the Gigaset N300 or N300A! :-D

You should also be aware that all the Gigaset single-cell DECT bases and handsets are compatible with each other, but some handsets may only offer basic or limited compatibility! To find out more information check the Gigaset DECT compatibility chart on the Provu website.
CJT-80 liked this
By CJT-80
Good Morning Paul,

Excellent, it's nice to see a N300 IP up close (at least via a pic)

I am tempted to use the A510 or 540 (depending on price and supplier) and the N300ip as I don't need the voicemail.

I have sent you a PM with a link to a company someone suggested.

;-)
By WelshPaul
Don't purchase a Gigaset N510 IP base, it looks like it's been discontinued. Voipon also claim that the following bundle has been discontinued...
Please Note: The Gigaset N300IP Base Station and Gigaset A510H DECT Phone Bundles have been discontinued. For an alternative, we highly recommend the Gigaset N300IP Base Station and Gigaset C430H Bundles.
http://www.voipon.co.uk/gigaset-n300-ip ... -4262.html

Having looked on the Gigaset site (it's very messy), I can't find the Gigaset A510 handset on there so it's highly likely that the Gigaset A510 handset has indeed been discontinued. If so, I would give that a miss. Your unlikely to see any new firmware updates for the handset! I believe the Gigaset C430 is the recommended replacement handset for the A510.

Cheapest N300 & C430 (N300IPC430-1) bundle I could find was for £79.20 which includes VAT but there is an additional £5.50 charge for p&p! :(
By WelshPaul
Hey CJT,

Not sure if you purchased any new hardware in the end but I just wanted to let you know that I ordered a brand new Gigaset N300 IP base from Amazon the other day for £49.99 but what I actually received was a Gigaset N300A IP base. :-D

Link to base: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

It gets better, I also purchased a Gigaset C430H for £27.10 but again received a Gigaset C430HX so I purchased another two..

Link to handset: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

So instead of getting 3x Gigaset C430H handsets and a Gigaset N300 IP base, what I actually ended up with was 3x Gigaset C430HX handsets and a Gigaset N300A IP base for the grand total of £131.29! :party:

The cheapest trio C430H and N300A IP deal I could find was for £149.99p. Not only a saving of £18.70p but I got the upgraded handsets too. :)

Oh, I even got them all delivered for free! :laugh: