Recommend, review or get some help setting up your SIP based softphone of choice here.
By WelshPaul
Generally speaking, when calling PC to PC, your calls are usually free. This is because these calls are usually being routed over the publicly accessed Internet for which you are already paying access. If you are using a VoIP service provider, and are calling other registered users within your VoIP service provider’s user network, this is usually referred to as “in-network” calling. And, most services promote “free in-network calls”. In reality, their costs are minimal when processing Internet-based voice calls. They usually have a proxy server that sets up the call between the caller and callee and once the call session is initiated, there are really minimal or no bandwidth requirements on their server. At this point the PC to PC connection is direct over Internet between the two conversing PCs with no middle-man required.

However, when placing calls from a PC to Phone, there is usually an access charge incurred. This is because your VoIP service provider now has to pay a local PSTN (Public Switched Telephone Network) for gateway access and to route the calls through their switches and wires (usually via an ILEC - Incumbent Local Exchange Carrier, or CLEC - Competitive Local Exchange Carrier) to the destination phone number. So, the majority of the call is over Internet routes, but it’s the “final leg”, or “last mile” where the biggest cost is incurred for access to a real telephone number. And after all, this really is one of the top reasons we consider VoIP in the first place – to save money on long-distance phone calls.

Now, when making PC to Phone calls, the cost incurred usually is really the cost of making a local phone call, the “local” part being the cost of gateway access through a local PSTN where the call is being terminated. And, as we often think of “local” phone calls as being free, they really are not. After all, I was paying £15.50p a month for the privilege of making “free local calls” in my city of residence.

And this is what VoIP providers do so that we can make calls to other cities anywhere in the world. They purchase or lease lines in each city where they want termination. Then when you place a call to that city, via the Internet, you are charged for the cost to make a “local call” over their leased lines in that city. The price you pay is usually a premium over their costs to make that local call, so they can earn a profit to support their operations.
By pwarbi
People giving up on their landlines altogether I still think is a long way off but technology is improving rapidly now so I do think in time it will happen.

A lot of people still don't know enough about voip yet for that to happen but forums like this are certainly opening people up to using it more and more.
By WelshPaul
What would really boost the use of VoIP is the ability to have broadband without the need to have a fixed phone line service attached. The savings on line rental alone is a no-brainer!
By WelshPaul
sbatz1972 wrote:This is what I don't like about VoIP service. If I pay for the service, I should not have to pay extra to make some calls. These fees should be included in my plan.
Would you please explain what you mean by this post?
By WelshPaul
nytegeek wrote:I use google voice to make PC to Phone calls. It is aggravating to have a VoIP charge extra for the feature especially when there are free alternatives. It's even more aggravating needing to us an alternative service to get the job done when already paying for another.
When you make a VoIP call to a traditional telephone number there are third party costs incurred and that's one reason why you're billed per minute for the call. (The call passes over the public switched telephone network)

When you make VoIP to VoIP calls, there are no third party costs. The call uses bandwidth and server resources but that's it.

Remember, your not just using your broadband service to place a call, your also using your VoIP providers bandwidth and servers too! It costs money to keep these up and running 24/7, keep them secure and ensure their hardware specifications get upgraded to meet demand.

See: http://www.voipfone.co.uk/What_Is_Voip.php