Recommend, review or get some help setting up your SIP based softphone of choice here.
By pwarbi
Just a quick question regarding viber. Plain and simple, is it any good and what's makes it different to the host of other apps that seem to be knocking about at the moment?

It seems like there's a long list of apps, new and old that are jumping on the bandwagon so to speak. Is there a huge difference between them all or is it just a case of finding one that best suits you?
By kylerlittle
pwarbi wrote:Just a quick question regarding viber. Plain and simple, is it any good and what's makes it different to the host of other apps that seem to be knocking about at the moment?

It seems like there's a long list of apps, new and old that are jumping on the bandwagon so to speak. Is there a huge difference between them all or is it just a case of finding one that best suits you?
I think Viber is not so different than the other apps, but I think what makes it unique is that on the PC you can actually have video calls with it, and it doesn't cost a fortune to call to actual phones, whether mobile phones or landline phones. It's just one of the major apps, which competes with What's App.
By kylerlittle
pwarbi wrote:So it's just the same as the others then basically.

This type of app does seem to be growing, with new ways to communicate appearing all the time so I was just wondering what viber was all about that made it different.
It does grow. It is the same as others but I think it's just more popular than others. Just like phone brands, some phone brands might have same functionality and same specifications, just one brand is more popular than the other. But both have to offer the same thing basically.
By dibts
pwarbi wrote:Just a quick question regarding viber. Plain and simple, is it any good and what's makes it different to the host of other apps that seem to be knocking about at the moment?

Viber is awesome! I like it because it's so user friendly and it's basically using your phone and your number. As long as the other party uses it, then everything from text to call is free. You can even video chat.
By WelshPaul
kylerlittle wrote:I think video chat can only be done on a computer though. The version of viber that's on the phone still doesn't support video chat?
Nope, there are video IP phones available on the market today. Trouble is they only work with closed systems because most SIP based VoIP providers won't offer any support for it.

Facebook, Facetime to name a few all allow video calls from your computer, mobile cell phone and tablets too.
By pwarbi
While video chat is becoming more popular on various apps, I'm wondering how much data that's going to eat up though when it comes to using them on a smartphone for example?

A lot of people don't have unlimited data and if your not connected over WiFi when your out and about, using video chat might not be such a good option.
By WelshPaul
pwarbi wrote:While video chat is becoming more popular on various apps, I'm wondering how much data that's going to eat up though when it comes to using them on a smartphone for example?

A lot of people don't have unlimited data and if your not connected over WiFi when your out and about, using video chat might not be such a good option.
I think this is the reason why a lot if not most VoIP providers don't implement video calling... Bandwidth can be expensive!

There are third party apps as well as settings built in to most mobile phones these days that allow you to set limits so you don't go over your allowance. Your best sticking to WiFi for these types of calls though if you have a small bandwidth allowance.
By kylerlittle
dibts wrote:
kylerlittle wrote:I think video chat can only be done on a computer though. The version of viber that's on the phone still doesn't support video chat?
It would probably depend on your phone. But if you are using iOS and the latest upgrade on Android, you'll be able to video chat using Viber.
I didn't know this. I think it's a bit weird that it doesn't support it on the Android, that's a downside. After all, Viber is great.
By pwarbi
Personally I have unlimited data but I still don't really see the point of video chat on a mobile device, especially on a smartphone when your out and about.

Half the time I dint even bother replying to a message till I get home, I'm definitely not going to be answering a video call in the middle of the supermarket...