Recommend, review or get some help setting up your SIP based softphone of choice here.
By dibts
pwarbi wrote:Personally I have unlimited data but I still don't really see the point of video chat on a mobile device, especially on a smartphone when your out and about.

Half the time I dint even bother replying to a message till I get home, I'm definitely not going to be answering a video call in the middle of the supermarket...
It's indeed not for everybody. But it's just great to know that we can still video call whenever and wherever we want to as long as we are connected to the Internet and with the use of this Viber app.
By dibts
pwarbi wrote:While video chat is becoming more popular on various apps, I'm wondering how much data that's going to eat up though when it comes to using them on a smartphone for example?

A lot of people don't have unlimited data and if your not connected over WiFi when your out and about, using video chat might not be such a good option.
It takes a lot of bandwidth on my phone and even on my desktop. This is also why I hardly use the video calling on Viber.
By John Donovan
pwarbi wrote:Personally I have unlimited data but I still don't really see the point of video chat on a mobile device, especially on a smartphone when your out and about.

Half the time I dint even bother replying to a message till I get home, I'm definitely not going to be answering a video call in the middle of the supermarket...
Video calls on mobile devices aren't meant to be used often. They're for whenever you're somewhere abroad or in a vacation and you want to talk to the folks you've left behind at home.

Nobody expects you to answer a video call in a supermarket. :p
By Yosh

Yeah, it's always a bit of a pain trying to explain to somebody that you can't talk when you're out. I've seen people do it though, they generally look quite silly while trying to keep an eye on where they're going.
By kylerlittle
Yosh wrote:

Yeah, it's always a bit of a pain trying to explain to somebody that you can't talk when you're out. I've seen people do it though, they generally look quite silly while trying to keep an eye on where they're going.
Lol, some people really don't have that manners to realize that.
By Se7ev

I have a client from other country and we communicate using video chat and having video chat on a mobile device is pretty handy. It happened few times that when I was out, I had to call my client. Video chat is usefull for that kind of things and maybe when you are on vacation or something.
By pwarbi
Sunflogun wrote:Never heard of viber until now what seems ridiculous after looking at the page. Seems a really great service, thanks for sharing it!
Vibers probably the next best thing to Skype as far as video calling goes. It's becoming more and more popular as you can see by this thread. Obviously it's got some issues but all services like this have, so it's basically a case of picking the one that suits your preferences.
By Yosh
pwarbi wrote:
Sunflogun wrote:Never heard of viber until now what seems ridiculous after looking at the page. Seems a really great service, thanks for sharing it!
Vibers probably the next best thing to Skype as far as video calling goes. It's becoming more and more popular as you can see by this thread. Obviously it's got some issues but all services like this have, so it's basically a case of picking the one that suits your preferences.
When did Viber get a video feature? Huh, I might just reinstall it if that's the case. I've found it better than Skype in terms of call quality.
By Sunflogun
pwarbi wrote:
One thing that annoys me is the fact that Skype seems to have an update once a week, apart from that works fine, so well that I am not tempted to try Viber for now.