Recommend, review or get some help setting up your SIP based softphone of choice here.
By kylerlittle
dibts wrote:I do use Skype on my phone and I personally find it a good app. I like it and it's convenient. Skype offers different rates if you call non-skype users. I just use the free though.
That's awesome. I think mostly the rates for non-skype users is just for those who don't have any friends on Skype, but mostly do, but others use it just for jobs.
By dibts
kylerlittle wrote:
dibts wrote:I do use Skype on my phone and I personally find it a good app. I like it and it's convenient. Skype offers different rates if you call non-skype users. I just use the free though.
That's awesome. I think mostly the rates for non-skype users is just for those who don't have any friends on Skype, but mostly do, but others use it just for jobs.
It is indeed ideal for online jobs. Most clients abroad prefer that you have it.
By John Donovan
I have installed Skype on my mother and grandmother's smartphones and, while my grandmother's low-spec Android phone had no issues with the app, my mother's iPhone had a lot of issues with it. It had a lot of connectivity problems and it just felt inferior in comparison with the Android version, which ran like a dream.

Maybe other folks will have different experiences with the Skype iPhone app, but my experience was absolutely terrible, and I cannot recommend it.
By BradR
John Donovan wrote:I have installed Skype on my mother and grandmother's smartphones and, while my grandmother's low-spec Android phone had no issues with the app, my mother's iPhone had a lot of issues with it. It had a lot of connectivity problems and it just felt inferior in comparison with the Android version, which ran like a dream.

Maybe other folks will have different experiences with the Skype iPhone app, but my experience was absolutely terrible, and I cannot recommend it.
My Android is brilliant and it seems like it's the better platform to run it off as I've also heard so many bad things about the iPhone as well. Just give it a try and see what you think. If you don't like it, uninstall and try and find something else!
By Devonne
I currently utilize Skype for my Android device. It has been a battle for me to gain any good call quality but I enjoy the service nonetheless. When Skype first came out I used it on my computer all the time. It was so great to be able to communicate face-to-face with friends and family. The first time that I saw Skype actually being used though was in my church. A families daughter was being baptized and thy had family far away that wanted to make sure to be involved in their joyous occasion. I thought it looked funny seeing someone carry a laptop around the stage to catch all the action but once i looked Skype up myself, well I didn't think it was silly anymore, but rather quite innovative. Without having Facetime on your phone, well I think Skype is the best alternative.
By chelsknits
dibts wrote:It is indeed ideal for online jobs. Most clients abroad prefer that you have it.
That's very good to know! When I first started looking into this the first thing I thought of was Skype but I was thinking that people would consider it unprofessional or something to use it. I'm glad to heard that a lot of people actually prefer it.
By kylerlittle
chelsknits wrote:
dibts wrote:It is indeed ideal for online jobs. Most clients abroad prefer that you have it.
That's very good to know! When I first started looking into this the first thing I thought of was Skype but I was thinking that people would consider it unprofessional or something to use it. I'm glad to heard that a lot of people actually prefer it.
I'm sure it can save you a lot of money.
By kylerlittle
BradR wrote:Just letting you know that Skype will completely rinse your 3G over time so make sure you have unlimited if you want to use it. In terms of a VoIP, it's pretty good yes. I'd definitely put it over TeamSpeak and any services similar to it.
Thank you for letting me know!
By Se7ev
I've been using it on Android 4.4.4 - no problems. I've been using it on WiFi, so can't tell how much data on 3G it would consume.
Call rates in some countries are lower compared to my telephone service provider and it is easy to buy credits for calling (for example using paysafecard).
I also like videocall feature :)
By pwarbi
When using any sort of app like this over a mobile connection, I think it's important to make sure you've got unlimited data on your tariff, or at least be aware of just how much date the app actually uses.

Any sort of video call is going to hammer your data, so WiFi connection is probably the best way. Free WiFi is available in most places these days so I'd recommend you make the use of it for this type of call.
By kylerlittle
pwarbi wrote:When using any sort of app like this over a mobile connection, I think it's important to make sure you've got unlimited data on your tariff, or at least be aware of just how much date the app actually uses.

Any sort of video call is going to hammer your data, so WiFi connection is probably the best way. Free WiFi is available in most places these days so I'd recommend you make the use of it for this type of call.
Thank you Pwarbi, that's really useful because I would of actually had to pay a lot. Can you actually get a contract for just 3G? or mobile data connection without phone calling and all that?