Recommend, review or get some help setting up your SIP based softphone of choice here.
By John Donovan
I remember seeing such a thing about a year ago, but I can't really find it anymore. I remember them being like those old dock-phones, only difference was that they had skype on them. Does anyone remember such a thing? If yes, can anyone direct me to them? I'm really curious.
By John Donovan
It seems that this: http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/ ... me-phones/ was the page that I recalled seeing. I still didn't find any explicit page which sells that kind of phone, but I'd sure love to find one, as I'm really interested in buying one.
By John Donovan
nytegeek wrote:You can find them online. Try amazon or ebay. I know that GE made a skype ready phone.
Alright, thanks for your suggestion. I am really looking to try one out, mostly out of sheer curiosity, but it would also make for a really nifty gift for my mom, who depends on Skype a lot in order to communicate with others. She even taught my grandmother to use it, so they can talk for hours on end!
By pwarbi
I have to admit I forgot all about them, but they are still available online, on most of the marketplace sites. I'd probably check the reviews out before I parted with my hard earned money though, as I don't think they're all that popular, and to me that's tends to suggest they're not that good either.
By lokiebunny
There are many smartphones in the market in which you can download Skype application, but if you are specific about the brand or Microsoft only than you can go with the Nokia Lumia 620 windows phone in which you will get this application by default. But rather than choosing Nokia you can check other smartphones as well because they are also providing very good features and performance. So before you go or buy a smartphone please check all the possible option for yourself.
By adssolsn
lokiebunny wrote:There are many smartphones in the market in which you can download Skype application, but if you are specific about the brand or Microsoft only than you can go with the Nokia Lumia 620 windows phone in which you will get this application by default. But rather than choosing Nokia you can check other smartphones as well because they are also providing very good features and performance. So before you go or buy a smartphone please check all the possible option for yourself.
that's great to hear @lokiebunny, i have for long admired the Nokia Lumia, i am not a big fun of windows phones but i think i will take your advice and browse around;i might find a better option.
By nytegeek
adssolsn wrote: that's great to hear @lokiebunny, i have for long admired the Nokia Lumia, i am not a big fun of windows phones but i think i will take your advice and browse around;i might find a better option.
Keep in mind that Nokia and Microsoft are separate entities. Microsoft only purchased the smartphone division of Nokia's business, not the whole company, and has dropped the Nokia branding from devices as well as written off the purchase of said business. Nokia is free to return to making and marketing smartphones again in 2016.
By kenzenith
nytegeek wrote:
adssolsn wrote: that's great to hear @lokiebunny, i have for long admired the Nokia Lumia, i am not a big fun of windows phones but i think i will take your advice and browse around;i might find a better option.
Keep in mind that Nokia and Microsoft are separate entities. Microsoft only purchased the smartphone division of Nokia's business, not the whole company, and has dropped the Nokia branding from devices as well as written off the purchase of said business. Nokia is free to return to making and marketing smartphones again in 2016.
This must be the reason why I seldom see Nokia phones in the market today. I believe with what you've said that they are always free to return in 2016, because they put up a good name before. If they could come up with new innovations, they can even rise to the top again. Who knows, they might share the lead with Samsung and Apple in the near future.
By pwarbi
Regarding Nokia, I dint think there's any doubt that they will return to the smartphone sector and start producing devices again.

Nokia used to be the biggest manufacturer in the world, but while they have been away from the game, the market as gone on leaps and bounds so I think they're going to struggle to compete with the likes of Samsung anytime in the near future.
By Bunny Tycoon
I agree that Nokia penetrated the global market a few years ago and I thought that it will remain the biggest mobile provider up to now and I don't know what went wrong. Perhaps they stick to their software and user interface and android became very popular as much as the iOS the windows got left behind. I mean windows are good when it comes to computers but I much prefer to use a smartphone with an android operating system or iOS.
By WelshPaul
Bunny Tycoon wrote:I agree that Nokia penetrated the global market a few years ago and I thought that it will remain the biggest mobile provider up to now and I don't know what went wrong. Perhaps they stick to their software and user interface and android became very popular as much as the iOS the windows got left behind. I mean windows are good when it comes to computers but I much prefer to use a smartphone with an android operating system or iOS.
Windows on a mobile phone was always problematic and a pretty poor experience! Not sure why Nokia went down that route myself. When Nokia decided to choose Windows OS, it wasn't ready. Android at that time was already doing great. There is however an article located here where Nokia explains their reasons: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ia-android

I shall let you decide if their justifiable! :-/