These can be a real hurdle when setting up VoIP, help others by posting your configs, tips and tricks or simply ask others for help if you're stuck.
By routearound
Posts Avatar Topics
Does plugging in a PoE powered Ethernet cable into a non PoE device cause any damage?
I'm wondering if I will fry anything by doing this or is there a safety mechanism that detects this sort carelessness.

Basically I have ordered a Netgear 8 port PoE from Amazon and all 8 ports have PoE, if I plug my voip phones into 3 of those ports and my computer in to another will it blow up my PC?
By WelshPaul
Posts Signature Likes Avatar Topics
You can safely connect a non-poe device to a poe switch with no problems.

A device that can accept power from the switch has a certain resistance value across a pair of the wires in the cable. If the switch detects that resistance, than power is applied. Otherwise, it's not.

Also, you can usually disable power on a per port basis. Use the "power inline never" command to disable power.
By kaiuk
Posts Likes Avatar Topics
I don't think cables are rated PoE complaint or not, just the switches and connected devices. As WelshPaul has said, you can plug in any non-PoE device into a PoE switch without causing problems.

If you are still concerned about it, you can just buy a regular non-PoE switch and then connect a power injector to your PoE device (VoIP phone) only. This will allow you to connect it to a regular switch and still give it power.
By Johnderman
Posts Avatar Topics
After reading your original question I was about to suggest exactly what kaiuk suggested, get an extra switch with a few ports and use that, but really, plugging devices that don't need POE into POE ports shouldn't be a problem. The POE power supplier communicates with the device to see if it is POE compatible before supplying full power to it.

Hi @nasarz the PJSIP trunk settings for a Sipgate B…

Anyway, first things first. You need to get your TFTP…

I have no first hand experience with these devices but …

Openstage 40 not updating FW

I don't think the issue you're having is caused by the …