These can be a real hurdle when setting up VoIP, help others by posting your configs, tips and tricks or simply ask others for help if you're stuck.
By kaiuk
Those of use with Windows Vista and above will have Windows firewall switched on by default, but is this basic firewall enough to protect our computers from the hackers on the internet? I did install zonealarm for a while but found it a bit annoying with all those popups, and it was a bit of a resource hog. It was certainly effective though if you check the logs and see how many threats it blocked.
By pwarbi
I'd imagine that nearly everybody uses or as used the windows firewall at some point, me included and I've found it does exacty what its supposed to. I've downloaded others to have something to compare it against but found them to be no better then the windows one so just stick with it.
By Bonzer
Windows firewall is fine and adequate enough. However, I don't trust Microsoft Essentials nor do I trust any free anti-virus software. I usually go for Kaspersky Internet Security. I use it because it contains safe money feature, parental control, malware protection and several others in addition to anti-virus and firewall and costs, just a little more than anti-virus alone. So, I go for KIS suite.

The KIS while installing turns off windows firewall and installs its own firewall. Since I trust Kaspersky very much, I don't mind switch it makes.

But by all means, Windows firewall is just enough for home use unless you mess with its exceptions.
By nytegeek
Windows firewall is sufficient for most. Unless there are special circumstances I don't see the need to pay for anything else. If you need something more you would be better of to use or construct a hardware firewall. There are several to choose from or if you build your own you can do it by re-purposing and older computer.
By nytegeek
Bonzer wrote:Windows firewall is fine and adequate enough. However, I don't trust Microsoft Essentials nor do I trust any free anti-virus software. I usually go for Kaspersky Internet Security. I use it because it contains safe money feature, parental control, malware protection and several others in addition to anti-virus and firewall and costs, just a little more than anti-virus alone. So, I go for KIS suite.

The KIS while installing turns off windows firewall and installs its own firewall. Since I trust Kaspersky very much, I don't mind switch it makes.
With the exception being MSE/Defender, most of the free antivirus offerings I have recommended rank better in testing than popular paid products. Just food for thought. The threats out there change as does the detection ability of various products. It is best to at least check with independent lab scores prior to renewing a paid subscription.