These can be a real hurdle when setting up VoIP, help others by posting your configs, tips and tricks or simply ask others for help if you're stuck.
By c0d3r
You really don't need anything flash or expensive for the home or small office environment. My one and only recommendation is to get a router that supports QOS, QOS makes all the difference if your internet connection is shared by others using computers, media streamers and such like. Reliability, check out those reviews and make sure the device has a good right up.

Taking into account the above, just get yourself something that fits your wallet. :)
By WelshPaul
kylerlittle wrote:I do have QOS in my current router, I just never knew how to use it, could you help me and explain, or perhaps give me links or something, explaining what QOS is and how it can be used?
I posted a basic explanation here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=26
By kylerlittle
WelshPaul wrote:
kylerlittle wrote:I do have QOS in my current router, I just never knew how to use it, could you help me and explain, or perhaps give me links or something, explaining what QOS is and how it can be used?
Thank you, I didn't notice it so I apologize. So basically QOS is giving priority to certain things?
By pwarbi
I think most routers that are available now will do the job well enough. I think it depends a lot on just what you want out of it. As long as it's reliable and at a price you can afford then any router will do.

People seem to want to get the best that's available but a lot of the time cheap and cheerful works just as well.
By WelshPaul
kylerlittle wrote:
WelshPaul wrote:
Thank you, I didn't notice it so I apologize. So basically QOS is giving priority to certain things?
Yes, lets say your son was upstairs playing GTA 5 online and your trying to watch a movie on netflix in another room, QOS can be used to give priority to netflix so you can watch your movie without it buffering every few minutes due to your son hogging all the bandwidth.
By WelshPaul
kylerlittle wrote:But then the son would be bothered by playing GTA 5 online, lol. I think it's great for some, but if I don't actually enable QOS, is it sharing internet by default or is it giving priority to someone without my permission? I've always wondered that.
I think your missing the point... When sharing your broadband across many devices used by many people someone is always going to be 'bothered' because someone is going to run into issues. The idea of QOS is to give priority to services that are more important than those that are not.

QOS only really kicks in when it needs to, so if 'the son' was playing GTA 5 online and a VoIP call comes in his gameplay might not cause any issues bandwidth wise, if it does then QOS kicks in and VoIP traffic becomes a priority, that doesn't mean 'the son' can't continue to play GTA 5 or that he would even notice a difference in some cases.
By kylerlittle
WelshPaul wrote:
kylerlittle wrote:But then the son would be bothered by playing GTA 5 online, lol. I think it's great for some, but if I don't actually enable QOS, is it sharing internet by default or is it giving priority to someone without my permission? I've always wondered that.
I think your missing the point... When sharing your broadband across many devices used by many people someone is always going to be 'bothered' because someone is going to run into issues. The idea of QOS is to give priority to services that are more important than those that are not.

QOS only really kicks in when it needs to, so if 'the son' was playing GTA 5 online and a VoIP call comes in his gameplay might not cause any issues bandwidth wise, if it does then QOS kicks in and VoIP traffic becomes a priority, that doesn't mean 'the son' can't continue to play GTA 5 or that he would even notice a difference in some cases.
I see. I think my broadband has been doing so well without the need to use QOS, but I was just wondering if it would share it on all of the devices equally without activating QOS.
By WelshPaul
kylerlittle wrote:
WelshPaul wrote:

I see. I think my broadband has been doing so well without the need to use QOS, but I was just wondering if it would share it on all of the devices equally without activating QOS.
Simply put, no. If you had a 1MB broadband connection and four people were using it at once then your router will not give everyone an equal 256k to use. It doesn't work like that.
By nytegeek
The AirPort Extreme 802.11ac is superbly crafted and designed. It is nicer looking than similar appliances. It has simple and accessible options for the average end user. Its 11n performance is exceptional and it's 11ac performance is good though not the best. It is easy to set up and use for those of you with other apple devices. It is well supported and has reliable updates as needed.
By Samu Zadori
kylerlittle wrote:I know there are routers that come with the ISP, but I am actually asking for a router that's out of an ISP, basically a router that's made by TP-Link for example, but it has to be a router with a modem as well!
I would wholeheartedly recommend one of the "next-gen" Nighthawk routers, if you prioratize convinience and connection speeds above all else. They may be a little pricy, but if you can afford it, you won't be disappointed.
By kylerlittle
Samu Zadori wrote:
kylerlittle wrote:I know there are routers that come with the ISP, but I am actually asking for a router that's out of an ISP, basically a router that's made by TP-Link for example, but it has to be a router with a modem as well!
I would wholeheartedly recommend one of the "next-gen" Nighthawk routers, if you prioratize convinience and connection speeds above all else. They may be a little pricy, but if you can afford it, you won't be disappointed.
How much do you think they cost?