These can be a real hurdle when setting up VoIP, help others by posting your configs, tips and tricks or simply ask others for help if you're stuck.
By BradR
Being a slightly stupid when it comes to internet security, I'm always in need of some kind of effective security which will prevent anything finding a open hole into my computer, but, I was wondering how effective Windows Firewall is by itself. Can it block pretty much everything, or most things shall I say?
By WelshPaul
It sure can. As mentioned elsewhere - I have been using windows firewall for years, does exactly what you expect it to do.

I also make use of avast antivirus (free version) and find that very good too! In all the years I have been using both I have never been hacked or had a virus.
By Bonzer
BradR wrote:Being a slightly stupid when it comes to internet security, I'm always in need of some kind of effective security which will prevent anything finding a open hole into my computer, but, I was wondering how effective Windows Firewall is by itself. Can it block pretty much everything, or most things shall I say?
Yes, it does. It can completely block out any intruding and eavesdropping. In fact, any firewall does just that. A firewall is a screen between your computer and the internet. Windows firewall comes with a set of default rules to allow trusted programs and ports to communicate with the internet. If you have messed it up and allowed a rogue program, access to the internet, then yes, your security could be compromised.
By BradR
WelshPaul wrote:It sure can. As mentioned elsewhere - I have been using windows firewall for years, does exactly what you expect it to do.

I also make use of avast antivirus (free version) and find that very good too! In all the years I have been using both I have never been hacked or had a virus.
Has it ever stopped any keyloggers or trojans? I've had a problem in the past with a trojan and it caused someone to gather information about me so I wouldn't want something like that to happen again.
By John Donovan
Yeah, it generally block everything, depending on which administrative setting you have it on. For example, mine asks me for permission to allow or block online programs whenever I launch them for the first time. It's a fantastic piece of software which works really well if you know how to operate it. Sure, it might be difficult for some regular users, especially for those technologically impaired, but it just works when you need it to.

It might prove to be a pain in the *Bleep* when it blocks something by itself, especially because you have to allow the blocked program manually.
By pwarbi
I'm also a fan of the Windows firewall aswell to be honest. There's other's available of course and I've tried a couple but they don't seem to perform and better or worse than the standard Windows one so I've always just stuck with that.

I know I certainly wouldn't pay extra for a different one anyway, put it that way. It does everything you want and expect a firewall to do, and while others might claim to have extra features, at the end of the day just what features do you actually need? If it blocks what it's supposed to do, that's more than good enough for me.
By kylerlittle
pwarbi wrote:I'm also a fan of the Windows firewall aswell to be honest. There's other's available of course and I've tried a couple but they don't seem to perform and better or worse than the standard Windows one so I've always just stuck with that.

I know I certainly wouldn't pay extra for a different one anyway, put it that way. It does everything you want and expect a firewall to do, and while others might claim to have extra features, at the end of the day just what features do you actually need? If it blocks what it's supposed to do, that's more than good enough for me.
That's the right way to go. I don't think they actually differ much if you think about it. Some might say this one is better than the other, when they all have weaknesses to different types, it's just more like the user's responsibility to use the computer wisely.
By nytegeek
You don't want a firewall to literally block everything. As for whether it blocks all threats? No. Of course not. None of them do. Is it sufficient for the average users security? Certainly. Combined with intelligent computing and an antivirus suite Windows firewall is fairly effective.
By pwarbi
Your obviously not going to want a firewall to block everything, so being able to customise the program is going to be key.

With the Windows firewall it does give plenty of options and can be configured by everybody from beginner to an advanced users so. A lot of other firewalls can be confusing if you don't know exactly what your doing and you'll end up with either no security at all or too much.
By bluegreen
pwarbi wrote:Your obviously not going to want a firewall to block everything, so being able to customise the program is going to be key.

With the Windows firewall it does give plenty of options and can be configured by everybody from beginner to an advanced users so. A lot of other firewalls can be confusing if you don't know exactly what your doing and you'll end up with either no security at all or too much.
Yes I agree with you! Sometimes the Windows Firewall even blocks some games and I need to costumise to allow them :P but of course that Windows Firewall is enough for the people that use the PC for the daily activities like browsing the social medias, watching one or another video, email etc

If you use it with a free anti-virus you are good to go and to face most of the threats! :P
By talk2me
Yes, Windows firewall offers very effective protection to your computer. Windows firewall is very calm and do not ask for any user intervention while this is not the case with other firewalls. It can integrate with Windows operating system very well, which is commonly used in all PCs worldwide. :)