These can be a real hurdle when setting up VoIP, help others by posting your configs, tips and tricks or simply ask others for help if you're stuck.
By John Donovan
I know about the multiple Anti-Virus conflicts as well, but I don't think I ever heard of anyone's Firewall conflicting with their Anti-Virus. However, I would recommend the "Microsoft Security Essential" Anti-Virus, because it's free and you're sure it won't conflict with Windows Firewall. If you are on Windows 8 or higher, you already have it installed, under the name "Windows Defender".
By kylerlittle
I don't think you need such a heavy one. I don't think they interfere with one another unless your system is messed up. Usually, an anti virus has a firewall built in, of course, that is if Windows Defender (Default AntiVirus) was in charge, it would run its own firewall.
By Bonzer
Both are two different software. Their architecture and design are different. There's no way an anti-virus and a firewall can conflict with each other. An anti-virus keeps malicious software from invading your computer while a firewall is a screen between your computer and the internet. A firewall would only allow programs that you permit to connect to the internet.

Have you ever seen a word processor and a mail client conflicting with each other? This is same as well.
By kylerlittle
Bonzer wrote:Both are two different software. Their architecture and design are different. There's no way an anti-virus and a firewall can conflict with each other. An anti-virus keeps malicious software from invading your computer while a firewall is a screen between your computer and the internet. A firewall would only allow programs that you permit to connect to the internet.

Have you ever seen a word processor and a mail client conflicting with each other? This is same as well.
I see. That makes a lot of sense.
By nytegeek
Multiple real time antivirus scanners may conflict with each other. Multiple software firewalls may conflict with each other. An anti-malware suite with a built in firewall could have conflicts if you already have another firewall solution installed and running. Stick to one of each properly configured and you should be fine. If you aren't sure do a backup, and remove any antivirus and firewall options you have. Then re-install with default settings ensuring you only have one of each or one anti-malware suite that includes a firewall. Most software firewalls or security packages that contain a firewall will disable the windows firewall at install but it does not hurt to check.
By kylerlittle
nytegeek wrote:Multiple real time antivirus scanners may conflict with each other. Multiple software firewalls may conflict with each other. An anti-malware suite with a built in firewall could have conflicts if you already have another firewall solution installed and running. Stick to one of each properly configured and you should be fine. If you aren't sure do a backup, and remove any antivirus and firewall options you have. Then re-install with default settings ensuring you only have one of each or one anti-malware suite that includes a firewall. Most software firewalls or security packages that contain a firewall will disable the windows firewall at install but it does not hurt to check.
It's not necessarily true that an anti-malware suite would have a built in firewall though. I don't think that has been the case for popular applications.
By nytegeek
kylerlittle wrote: It's not necessarily true that an anti-malware suite would have a built in firewall though. I don't think that has been the case for popular applications.
I don't recall claiming that it was. It is a fact that several paid anti-malware suites do have them as an option however. As an aside, I wouldn't include popularity as a valid statistic in researching a security solution. There are two I can think of that are old and often considered front runners that I spent years uninstalling for people because they were in reality nothing but trouble. I don't care to name them here, I'll just say they were almost as bad as the malware they were intended to thwart. They rested on their well known names and popularity but became substandard products over time.
By Namo
John Donovan wrote:I know about the multiple Anti-Virus conflicts as well, but I don't think I ever heard of anyone's Firewall conflicting with their Anti-Virus. However, I would recommend the "Microsoft Security Essential" Anti-Virus, because it's free and you're sure it won't conflict with Windows Firewall. If you are on Windows 8 or higher, you already have it installed, under the name "Windows Defender".
I also agree with using Microsoft Security Essentials as it is not a resource hog, it does not annoy you with pop ups, and it gets the job done with no problems what so ever.

About your problem, what anti virus are you using? Maybe it is not a reputable one that can be trusted, therefore conflicting with the fire wall.
By kylerlittle
Namo wrote:
John Donovan wrote:I know about the multiple Anti-Virus conflicts as well, but I don't think I ever heard of anyone's Firewall conflicting with their Anti-Virus. However, I would recommend the "Microsoft Security Essential" Anti-Virus, because it's free and you're sure it won't conflict with Windows Firewall. If you are on Windows 8 or higher, you already have it installed, under the name "Windows Defender".
I also agree with using Microsoft Security Essentials as it is not a resource hog, it does not annoy you with pop ups, and it gets the job done with no problems what so ever.
I agree. I've had it before and it's just so good.
By Se7ev
I've been using AVAST (anti-virus) and COMODO Firewall at the same time - no problem. There should be no problem, because both of them have different functions. Anti-virus is used for real-time scanning for viruses, detection and protection. Meanwhile, firewall is used for filtering network traffic.