These can be a real hurdle when setting up VoIP, help others by posting your configs, tips and tricks or simply ask others for help if you're stuck.
By oderog
There are quite a number of anti virus for free, but my concern is their effectiveness to prevent harm and threats from your hardware machines such as Computers among other electronic gadgets. I have been using one such free for almost a year now and still very effective but are they all that safe to protect our computer from harm?
By Namo
You can be safe without any kind of anti-virus really, as long as you do not download suspicious programs or visit fishy sites. But, it is better to be safe than sorry, and free anti-viruses will do the job. I for one use Microsoft Security Essentials and it does everything a paid one will do, maybe even better. It is light on resources so it will not slow your computer down, and it will detect anything harmful and give you the option to delete them right away. As long as you browse safely and only download from trusted sources, your computer should be safe from harm.
By Yosh
I'm currently using AVG and I haven't had a single problem with it yet. I've been downloading things at my usual rate and , while I do use Norton as a backup(not actively running, wanted to check the effectiveness of AVG), neither have flared up or been alerted to anything problematic.
By Kristin
I have used free antivirus for ten years now. My computer has not received any viruses but it I cannot vouch for all of them. It might also matter that I tend to only visit safe sites and I rarely download anything. My husband received a computer virus (he uses a different free anti virus) from an email that I had also received but the title was suspicious to me and the sender was a friend that had never emailed us before so I did not open it. I think even if one has anti virus protection ( free or paid), it still is good to be cautious.
By kylerlittle
Kristin wrote:I have used free antivirus for ten years now. My computer has not received any viruses but it I cannot vouch for all of them. It might also matter that I tend to only visit safe sites and I rarely download anything. My husband received a computer virus (he uses a different free anti virus) from an email that I had also received but the title was suspicious to me and the sender was a friend that had never emailed us before so I did not open it. I think even if one has anti virus protection ( free or paid), it still is good to be cautious.
That's absolutely true. It's more how you use your computer and be cautious than actually mess around.
By WelshPaul
oderog wrote:There are quite a number of anti virus for free, but my concern is their effectiveness to prevent harm and threats from your hardware machines such as Computers among other electronic gadgets. I have been using one such free for almost a year now and still very effective but are they all that safe to protect our computer from harm?
Any antivirus has to be better than no antivirus?

I have been using AVAST free antivirus for years, using that and some common sense is more than you will ever need. ;-)
By Se7ev
Free anti-viruses are effective. I'd used to create different viruses (for educational purposes) and encryptic them and many of them were detected by free anti-viruses (I use AVAST). Even programs that weren't viruses were detected. They aren't 100% effective, but yet, better that than nothing.
By kylerlittle
WelshPaul wrote:
oderog wrote:There are quite a number of anti virus for free, but my concern is their effectiveness to prevent harm and threats from your hardware machines such as Computers among other electronic gadgets. I have been using one such free for almost a year now and still very effective but are they all that safe to protect our computer from harm?
Any antivirus has to be better than no antivirus?

I have been using AVAST free antivirus for years, using that and some common sense is more than you will ever need. ;-)
That's so true. I agree.
By pwarbi
I think people using common sense is a fair point, I don't think any software, paid or free will be any good if the user leaves themselves open to attack. Carelessness is probably one of the biggest problems, to be honest, and I'm probably guilty of that myself from time to time.

You get lulled in to a false sense of security, especially when you've never had any experience before of being hacked.
By nytegeek
Namo wrote:You can be safe without any kind of anti-virus really, as long as you do not download suspicious programs or visit fishy sites.
This is absolutely 100% NOT correct. Intelligent computing on it's own may have been enough almost 25 years ago but that simply is not the case any more. It isn't even debatable. There are an innumerable amount of ways for malware to infect any system that is connected to the internet that require very little help from a user. If you use Microsoft Windows you must have a real time defense running. Defender is sufficient for people using windows 8 or 8.1 but it isn't going to catch everything that comes down the pipe. Running an older copy of Windows without protection or Windows 8 and up with defender turned off is inviting trouble.
By Se7ev
nytegeek wrote:
Namo wrote:You can be safe without any kind of anti-virus really, as long as you do not download suspicious programs or visit fishy sites.
This is absolutely 100% NOT correct. Intelligent computing on it's own may have been enough almost 25 years ago but that simply is not the case any more. It isn't even debatable. There are an innumerable amount of ways for malware to infect any system that is connected to the internet that require very little help from a user. If you use Microsoft Windows you must have a real time defense running. Defender is sufficient for people using windows 8 or 8.1 but it isn't going to catch everything that comes down the pipe. Running an older copy of Windows without protection or Windows 8 and up with defender turned off is inviting trouble.
But you can't get infected if you don't download files, plug in different USBs... so you could be safe wihout any kind of anti-virus, but it isn't recommended.
By pwarbi
I don't think many people will want to use a computer under them strict limitations though to be honest. You might aswell install the anti-virus software, it's free usually and doesn't take up too much space, and then you can feel free to use your device as much as you want.