These can be a real hurdle when setting up VoIP, help others by posting your configs, tips and tricks or simply ask others for help if you're stuck.
By nytegeek
Se7ev wrote: But you can't get infected if you don't download files, plug in different USBs... so you could be safe wihout any kind of anti-virus, but it isn't recommended.
Yes you can. Every time you use a web browser text, images and other files are downloaded to display content. Browser plugins, media players, flash, java and other things used in conjunction with web browsers download executable content that does not always require user intervention to run. There are a myriad of security exploits that allow malicious files to be downloaded and run on a users computer without their knowing.
By nytegeek
kylerlittle wrote:I think if you have Windows 8, you don't need one as it's already built in. You could get free ones and they could still be very sufficient if you don't mess around.
Windows Defender was merged with Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows 8 and above, but it has been scoring very poorly on well known independent reviews for both detection and blocking of threats. There are a multitude of anti-malware solutions for free that have excellent detection and blocking rates. Installing an antivirus/antimalware application is absolutely 100% necessary on any version of Windows below 8. You simply can not use the internet safely without some sort of protection. It isn't absolutely necessary but probably a good idea for Windows 8 and 8.1 as well.
By pwarbi
I think people tend to assume that the Windows security will be more than enough to keep them safe when they're online but that's not really the case.

If you look and compare the other anti virus software against MSE, you'll quickly realise how poor it is. I would have expected Microsoft to have worked on this a lot more for the next version, so that might not be as big an issue in the future.
nytegeek liked this
By John Donovan
I think that you definitely need an anti virus software in this day and age, especially if you are very active on the Internet, and even more so if you go on fishy sites. I can wholeheartedly recommend Microsoft Security Essentials (if you have Windows 8(.1) you already have it, under the name "Windows Defender", so don't get it) in combination with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. You should always have MEE/Defender running, and you should do a quick scan every once in a while with Malwarebytes.
By Bonzer
Avast antivirus with windows firewall can help you to a large extent if you browse responsibly. However, if you want to remove the "if", then you've to search for other solutions.

If you want free solutions alone, you can use full-featured trial versions of different leading antivirus solutions like Kaspersky, Norton, McAfee and so on. This way you don't have to buy any software. However, you got to keep changing them every month. It's a crazy idea, but it works.
By nytegeek
John Donovan wrote:I think that you definitely need an anti virus software in this day and age, especially if you are very active on the Internet, and even more so if you go on fishy sites. I can wholeheartedly recommend Microsoft Security Essentials (if you have Windows 8(.1) you already have it, under the name "Windows Defender", so don't get it) in combination with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. You should always have MEE/Defender running, and you should do a quick scan every once in a while with Malwarebytes.
MSIE & Defender in Windows 8 or higher have tested very poorly in both detecting threats and blocking them. Almost any other free solution will do a better job. I haven't seen even one acceptable current review of MSIE or Defender. It is almost like running with no protection at all. Until Microsoft get's their act together I wouldn't advise using them.
By nytegeek
Bonzer wrote:Avast antivirus with windows firewall can help you to a large extent if you browse responsibly. However, if you want to remove the "if", then you've to search for other solutions.

If you want free solutions alone, you can use full-featured trial versions of different leading antivirus solutions like Kaspersky, Norton, McAfee and so on. This way you don't have to buy any software. However, you got to keep changing them every month. It's a crazy idea, but it works.
Oddly enough when I worked for an IT consulting firm we spent about 4 years removing Norton & McAfee products because of the other problems they caused on peoples system with performance and connectivity issues. We of course replaced them with almost any other solution the customer wanted. The products used to be difficult to remove and required special removal tools to fully remove them. Connection and performance issues cleared up almost immediately every time. For a long while these products were bloated and relied on their good names from prior years even though the quality had declined. We used to make the joke that Symantic was were good products went to die.That said this was from about 2004 to 2008 and they could have gotten much better since then. I haven't tested either of them since then as I don't generally do repair and support work anymore.
By pwarbi
That's not the first time I've heard about problems with McAfee software. A lot of people have said how it might protect your device and do what you expect, it causes other problems in the system that aren't easily fixed.

Even if you remove the software it leaves certain files behind that you can't simply remove yourself if your not an expert in things like that.

A lot of software companies rely on their reputation aswell these days and sometimes what your paying for and what your actually getting can be two entirely different things.
By bluegreen
In my honest opinion Windows Defender/Windows Essentials is the best free anti virus. It's from Microsoft, it comes by default with your Windows Vista,7 or 8 copy and it's updated several times per month. There are some people that don't like it because it "comes by dafult" with Windows and they say that is not good because of that (it's one of the few default programs that is worth using), I don't agree. If you are not a Windows user you could try some free version of well known anti virus software. Some of them provide a OK free version :)
By nytegeek
bluegreen wrote:In my honest opinion Windows Defender/Windows Essentials is the best free anti virus. It's from Microsoft, it comes by default with your Windows Vista,7 or 8 copy and it's updated several times per month. There are some people that don't like it because it "comes by dafult" with Windows and they say that is not good because of that (it's one of the few default programs that is worth using), I don't agree. If you are not a Windows user you could try some free version of well known anti virus software. Some of them provide a OK free version :)
That it isn't that at all. If you scroll up and look through the thread some more you will see that Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials have the lowest detection and blocking rates of any of the free options out there. Independent labs do extensive testing of security products and the results are freely available and easy to find online. There was a point and time when Microsoft Security Essentials did a better job but that isn't the case currently. You can't just pick a product on gut feeling, tech assumptions, or reputation if you want something effective. You need to actually take into account factual data.
By kylerlittle
nytegeek wrote:
kylerlittle wrote:I think if you have Windows 8, you don't need one as it's already built in. You could get free ones and they could still be very sufficient if you don't mess around.
Windows Defender was merged with Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows 8 and above, but it has been scoring very poorly on well known independent reviews for both detection and blocking of threats. There are a multitude of anti-malware solutions for free that have excellent detection and blocking rates. Installing an antivirus/antimalware application is absolutely 100% necessary on any version of Windows below 8. You simply can not use the internet safely without some sort of protection. It isn't absolutely necessary but probably a good idea for Windows 8 and 8.1 as well.
I completely agree. There has to be some kind of firewall. I think that MSE can be downloaded for free on Windows 7 or Windows 8 and bellow, so it could still be considered a good firewall. Malwarebytes is good too.
By bluegreen
nytegeek wrote:
bluegreen wrote:In my honest opinion Windows Defender/Windows Essentials is the best free anti virus. It's from Microsoft, it comes by default with your Windows Vista,7 or 8 copy and it's updated several times per month. There are some people that don't like it because it "comes by dafult" with Windows and they say that is not good because of that (it's one of the few default programs that is worth using), I don't agree. If you are not a Windows user you could try some free version of well known anti virus software. Some of them provide a OK free version :)
That it isn't that at all. If you scroll up and look through the thread some more you will see that Windows Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials have the lowest detection and blocking rates of any of the free options out there. Independent labs do extensive testing of security products and the results are freely available and easy to find online. There was a point and time when Microsoft Security Essentials did a better job but that isn't the case currently. You can't just pick a product on gut feeling, tech assumptions, or reputation if you want something effective. You need to actually take into account factual data.
Can you please send me official reviews about this theme? I am interested in reading them, since this goes against the opinion I had and I am pretty sure that I am not that wrong... I would be really apreaciated if you could send me some reviews/analisis!
By nytegeek
bluegreen wrote: Can you please send me official reviews about this theme? I am interested in reading them, since this goes against the opinion I had and I am pretty sure that I am not that wrong... I would be really apreaciated if you could send me some reviews/analisis!
Here is the deal. If you truly care about the security of your PC you would research this yourself. That was my main point. The fact that you need to ask me for the proof kind of worries me, especially since a simple google search will point out independent lab testing results. Not being a *Bleep*, I will include some links for you anyway. Microsoft lost some AV certification in 2012 and has been having issues being certified ever since. Here are a few articles you may read:

https://redmondmag.com/articles/2015/01 ... -test.aspx

http://www.myce.com/news/microsoft-secu ... est-74514/

http://www.fixmypcfree.com/blog/microso ... ification/

You can also go straight to the source. One of the leading independent testing labs:

http://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

http://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/hom ... .6-150671/ (on this one note the industry averages of 97% and 99%, windows defender is low by comparison)