These can be a real hurdle when setting up VoIP, help others by posting your configs, tips and tricks or simply ask others for help if you're stuck.
By John Donovan
This has been roaming the Internet for a few years now, but I've heard that if you place an aluminum foil in a specific direction over your router, you can boost your signal in said direction. Now, before acting silly in front of my family, I'd really appreciate it if any of you could confirm or deny that myth.
By WelshPaul
Se7ev wrote:I'd say that isn't true.
I wouldn't say it isn't true as such, I think it comes down to the environment your router is in and the craftsmanship of the person holding the foil. :laugh:
By pwarbi
Sometimes people can't afford to upgrade their hardware though, so I can see why people try anything and everything to try and make what they've got, better, without spending any money.

A quick search on the internet will reveal millions of different tips on ways to improve different gadgets. Some look less legit than others though, I have to admit!
By John Donovan
Well, thanks a bunch for your replies, folks! It seems that I'll have to give up on the idea. After all, I'd hate to look stupid in front of my whole family claiming that the aluminum foil I'm swinging around boosts my signal.
By John Donovan
Bonzer wrote:It's partly true. Some people place metallic whisks (one that is used in a kitchen) over their routers' antenna and it gives them more range and better bandwidth. Basically, such whisks or foils prevent the wireless signal from scattering away.
Wait, so should I give it a try and risk looking like more of an idiot than I already am, or should I keep pestering you folks with questions? I'm confused. :laugh:

Also, I'm really curious as to what makes that work if it does. How can aluminum foil control where the signal goes?
By bluegreen
John Donovan wrote:This has been roaming the Internet for a few years now, but I've heard that if you place an aluminum foil in a specific direction over your router, you can boost your signal in said direction. Now, before acting silly in front of my family, I'd really appreciate it if any of you could confirm or deny that myth.
This made me smile (in the good sense:)). Because when I read it made me remember an episode of Mythbusters (you know wich series is this?) where they busted that myth. So I don't think it works, they tried and the results didn't support the theory :p so it's Busted ahah :-D
By nytegeek
It wont work. The idea probably came from people using foil on rabbit ears in an attempt to improve reception back when television channels were using analog signals. The technology isn't the same and it isn't going to work. If anything you are going to interfere with your wifi signal. If you really want a DYI hack look up making a cantena.