These can be a real hurdle when setting up VoIP, help others by posting your configs, tips and tricks or simply ask others for help if you're stuck.
By DidiE
Hi - sorry if I am in the wrong section of the forum, but actually I do have a Router problem, so I post it here:

I own a fairly new AVM FritzBox 7490 with the Fritz Repeater, but the bloody thing sucks (Wifi is bad and the box restarts itself about 10 times a day). I have talked with the AVM helpdesk and they say that they assume that the box is broken and they will replace it after I send it back to them to Germany. This will take about 3 weeks I suppose, but I do need my VOIP capability.

So - my idea is to buy something really useful and well-working (either Router with VOIP capability or Router plus seperate ATA) and to sell the new FritzBox as soon as it arrives. Would you have a suggestion what exactly to buy? I do have the following requirements:

a) Router with excellent Wifi strength and at least 4 x 1GB ports
b) Router may have an integrated cable modem (I am on Virgin Media Cable Broadband) - however, I don't know if that would work anyway, so it is not important
c) I currently use 4 SIP accounts (FreeVoipDeal, VoipBuster, Sipgate, and a local German Provider) and the British landline number from Virgin. The Fritzbox can switch automatically between these 5 accounts, depending on rules that I configured

Could you please recommend the right hardware for me?

Many thanks already in advance.

DidiE
By WelshPaul
Hi,

The FritzBox isn't a very good router is it... :beaten:

I have Virgin Media cable broadband myself. Firstly, you need to know that you cannot use any other cable modem other than the one supplied by Virgin Media. You can however put the Super Hub into "modem only mode" which allows you to use any DSL capable router of your choice along side it (which is what I have done for years).

I use an Asus RT-AC68U and it's a fantastic router. I hammer this router and it just never gives up, crashes or slows down on me! :-D

WiFi is superb,my house is solid brick right through. I can stream NOW TV, watch Netflix, play games on my PC while my Son's play on their XBOX one's all at the same time and still make multiple VoIP calls without issue. I should point out here that I have never used the stock Asus firmware with this router, flashed mine with Asuswrt-Merlin http://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/ from the start. ;-)

I would recommend this router to anyone and everyone! I know there are are newer versions on the market but if it ain't broke... :P

As for a choice of ATA, I was going to recommend the OBi110 ATA, but this only supports the use of two ITSPA's and you're using four... So your choices are either the OBi200 (£39.00) or OBi202 (£49.00) but you're going to need the OBiLINE adapter at an additional cost of £25.00.

The OBi200 has only one phone output, the OBi202 has 2. Be aware that there have been complaints about the OBiLINE, many report an echo on incoming PSTN calls. When I tested it with my Virgin Media line, it worked just fine, I did get the dreaded echo when testing it on my BT line though. :(

The good thing about the OBi's is that you can configure them in so many different ways, an OBi can also switch automatically between your 5 accounts, depending on rules configured.

If you purchase all three items from Amazon and your not happy or you get an echo using the OBiLINE adapter just send them all back for a refund. ;-)
By DidiE
Thanks Paul!

due to your answer I have asked Amazon to send me the Asus Router RT-AC88U, which should be similar to yours and offers 8 1gb ports. most WLAN routers offer the possibility to reduce the radio strenght - does the custom firmware have the ability to RAISE it?

Anyway - I am thinking of buying the Cisco Adaptor Cisco SPA232D - DECT , which can do 10 SIP accounts and handle 5 DECT phones. I have seen that you have written a lot about Cisco ATAs in this board - would you have experience with this one, too? Can one define rules in that ATA that chooses the different accounts according to the telephone number (or area code)?

Many thanks.

D.
By WelshPaul
DidiE wrote:Thanks Paul!

due to your answer I have asked Amazon to send me the Asus Router RT-AC88U, which should be similar to yours and offers 8 1gb ports. most WLAN routers offer the possibility to reduce the radio strenght - does the custom firmware have the ability to RAISE it?
Cool - There is a parameter that allows you to adjust the radio power levels from 1% - 100% but there is no way to increase TX power as all Asus routers are capped at 80mw.
DidiE wrote:Anyway - I am thinking of buying the Cisco Adaptor Cisco SPA232D - DECT , which can do 10 SIP accounts and handle 5 DECT phones. I have seen that you have written a lot about Cisco ATAs in this board - would you have experience with this one, too? Can one define rules in that ATA that chooses the different accounts according to the telephone number (or area code)?

Many thanks.

D.
Never used a Cisco SPA232D myself, I have used the SPA112/122 though. They were buggy and unreliable like nothing you ever seen before, eventually Cisco managed to sort out the firmware. :)

Apparantly you can set advanced call routing: https://supportforums.cisco.com/documen ... -scenarios

Looks like the SPA232D would be a good option for you, chances of getting the dreaded echo on an OBi202 are high...

Post back if you need help setting it up or coming up with a custom dial plan. :-D
CJT-80 liked this
By DidiE
Both devices have been delivered and installed. While for the Asus router it is rather easy to get it to work, the SPA232D is rather complicated to configure. I have managed so far to
- link a DECT phone to the Box
- configure the SIP accounts; I can see that the box has successfully registered to them
- RECEIVE voice calls over my German VOIP account

I have also setup a Dial-Plan, however, I cannot place calls over the internet. My plan in words:
- if the dialled number is 112, then use the PSTN line (=Gateway0))
- if the number starts with *9" also use PSTN line
- if I dial a local (London) number, starting with 7 or 8, replace the first number with 0044207 or 0044208
- if the first number is a 0 then replace the 0 with 0044
- if the first 2 numbers are 00 or anything of the previous 2 points, use gateway 1 (SIP provider FreeVoipDeal)

Here is the code in Cisco-language: ( 112<:@gw0> | *9<:@gw0> | <7:0044207> | <8:0044208> | <0:0044> | 00xx.<:@gw1>)

problem is - it doesn't work, I always get a line-not-free dial-tone. :oops:

can anybody please help?

Many thanks.

DidiE
By WelshPaul
What are you using to place the call? A DECT handset registered directly with the the SPA232D or a telephone connected to the phone port? Or both?

The reason why I ask is that the SPA232D supports multiple dial plans apparently so verify that you are modifying the appropriate dial plan.