Over the weekend a new 2-step Authentication (also known as two-factor authentication) system has been put in place to help protect user accounts. Once enabled, a verification code in addition to your username and password will be required when signing in to your account.
*Requires Google Authenticator App
What is 2-Step Verification?
For those who don’t know, 2-Step Verification (also known as Two Factor Authentication) helps protect a user's account from unauthorized access should someone manage to obtain their password. Even if a password is cracked, guessed, or otherwise stolen, an attacker can't sign in without access to components that are unique to oneself.
This can come in a few forms from an e-mail to text messages or in our case an authenticator app for your smartphone.
When logging into UK VoIP Forums you will be asked to provide a unique code that is randomly generated once every 30 seconds via an application on your phone.
What this means is that should someone ever manage to get hold of your account information and try to access your account with it, they will be asked for this code too and without your phone, they’re not going to have it.
How do I enable 2-Step Verification?
If you’d like to enable 2-Step Verification on your account, simply follow the instructions listed below:
- Navigate to the UCP (User Control Panel). To do this, simply click on your username located in the top right hand corner of the page and click on the green 'Control Panel' button in the pop up box as show below.
- Now, click on the 'Profile' tab, followed by '2 step authentication' (located in the left hand pane) and the green 'Add new key' button as shown below.
- Next, download the Google Authenticator app for your smartphone.
NOTE: Google Authenticator only available on iOS and Android. (Windows Phone users can try to use the Windows “Authenticator+” app but this is not guaranteed to work)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... 2&hl=en_GB
- Open the Google Authenticator app on your smartphone and Scan the QR code as shown in the example below, or you can use the generated key. Once done, enter the code provided by your Authenticator app to finally associate your account.
Should you encounter any issues with 2-Step Verification, please don’t hesitate to contact one of the site administrators or moderators who will be more than happy to help you.
- Appreciate my support? Feel free to buy me a beer.
- Voipfone are offering you the chance to trial their VoIP service for free for 30 days. Sign me up!
- Sign up for a Dropbox account using my referral link and get an extra 500 MB of bonus space. Sign me up!
- UK's #1 Reliable VoIP Telephone System Solutions. Hosted PBX, SIP Trunking and Toll Free numbers. Free Trial. 14 Days. Try Now! — VoIPLine Telecom