The fact is, most ATA's ship with old(er) firmware installed. Thus, if it isn't the latest release of firmware that's installed, it's old.
So, who cares? Well, you do if you are experiencing unsolvable performance issues. And, the reality is, all software/firmware has bugs, or performance deficiencies. And, this is why manufacturers periodically issue firmware/software updates. If not to fix bugs, certainly to enhance or improve device performance and the user experience.
So, let's get started with checking and updating the OBi202 firmware...
Preparation For the Upgrade Procedure:
- Connect an analogue telephone to one of the green RJ-11 phone jacks on the back of the OBi202 (marked as "Phone 1" or "Phone 2").
- Connect your PC to the yellow Ethernet port marked LAN, on the back of the OBi202.
(You could also connect an Ethernet switch to this port and then your PC on one of the Switch ports.)
- Connect an Ethernet cable between the blue RJ-45 jack (marked as "Internet") on the back of the OBi202 and the Ethernet port on your ISP connected Internet Modem.
- Have a web browser running on your PC.
- Connect Power to the ATA.
- Login to your OBi202 internal LAN-side administration gateway.
I will now cover two basic methods for manually checking and updating your OBi202 installed firmware version:
- Using the OBi202 IVR system.
- Using your PC web browser to connect to the OBi202 login screen and System Status page.
This is a strait forward procedure:
- Take the phone Off-Hook and dial star three times, followed by digits 0, 1, # (i.e.: ***01#).
- The OBi202 IVR will read back to you your currently installed firmware version number.
- When done, you can press the * key again to exit the IVR.
The IVR code "***6" will check the Obihai web site directly for the latest version of firmware available and compare that version against the version installed in your OBi202.
- Take the phone Off-Hook and dial three stars, followed by the number 6 (i.e.: ***6).
Now, the IVR will respond as follows:
- "Please wait...", followed by one of the following possibilities:
1) "Software Update Not Available".
2) "Software Update Available. Press 1 to update software".
1. If no update is available, either hang-up the phone, or press the star key (*) to exit the IVR.
2. If an update is available, you will be prompted to press "1" and hang-up the phone to proceed.
After you press "1" and hang-up, OBi202 will begin downloading the update file. You will know this is happening when the OBi202 power LED starts flashing orange. Once the file download is complete, the OBi202 will reboot. The entire process will take about 2 - 3 minutes to complete.
Check and Update Version Using The Web Browser
When you first log into the OBi202 using the administrator account, you will land on the System Status page. Here, you will be able to see the Software Version currently running in your OBi202 VoIP ATA.
Now that you know the firmware version running in the OBi202, you can make the decision to upgrade, or not.
Manually Updating Your OBi202 Firmware
Manually updating your OBi202 firmware consists of first downloading the firmware from Obihai's web site to a local folder on your PC, and then manually initiating the installation from your PC web browser while logged into the OBi202 configuration web utility.
Download Latest Available Firmware Version From Obihai Web Site
Currently, Obihai posts the latest OBi202 version of firmware on their web site, in a file named:
OBi2-latest.fw at the following URL:
You can either click on this link above, or copy and past it into your web browser (I'm using Google Chrome for my downloads). Visiting this link will automatically initiate the firmware file download to your PC, via your browser. You may want to create a new folder for downloading Obihai files to, on your PC.
Unfortunately, Obihai doesn't specify the actual version number of the file being download - but, it is supposed to be the latest downloadable version available. However, I have discovered that if during the upgrade installation procedure, OBi202 will notify you that the version you are trying to install is identical to the previous version and will not proceed with a duplicate installation.
Preparation For the Upgrade Procedure:
- It is highly recommended that your PC be directly connected via Ethernet cable to the OBi202 LAN port, vs. via a wireless link, while doing firmware upgrades. (Wireless links can be unreliable.)
- Login to the OBi202 using your PC's web browser.
- Once you are logged into the OBi202 configuration utility, navigate to the Device Update page, located under the System Management menu.
- At the top of the window, in the Firmware Update section, click the Choose File button.
- Navigate to the latest version of firmware that you have recently downloaded from Obihai web site to your PC local hard drive.
- Once you find the local downloaded file, click the OPEN button from the File Open dialogue box.
- Once you confirm that the selected file is the correct file, click the Update button.
- A pop-up dialog box will appear asking you to confirm this action by clicking on the OK button.
- After clicking the OK button, it will spend about 10 seconds checking the update version; then the upgrade procedure will commence. You should see the Power LED start flashing Orange during the upgrade period which indicates firmware is uploading to the OBi202. When the LED colour changes to RED, the upgrade is complete and the ATA is now performing a restart/reboot procedure. The complete upgrade and restart/reboot will take about 3 minutes to complete.
The OBi2-latest.fw file is not labelled as to what its exact firmware version is. So, this process is somewhat trial and error. However, I have noted that once I commence with installing the OBi2-latest file, OBi202 will pop-up a message indicating that it has detected that the firmware version attempting to be installed is identical to the version already installed in the OBi202. And, thus it will abort the procedure. No harm done.
If the update is redundant, you will see the following message displayed:
If for some reason you wish to download to an earlier firmware version (if you have one on hand), the OBi202 will allow you to do this, just the same as if you are upgrading to the latest version. I have actually done this numerous times while testing and re-testing the firmware upgrade procedures.
That's it, were done!
- Appreciate my support? Feel free to buy me a beer.
- Voipfone are offering you the chance to trial their VoIP service for free for 30 days. Sign up with my link.
- UK's #1 Reliable VoIP Telephone System Solutions. Hosted PBX, SIP Trunking and Toll Free numbers. Free Trial. 14 Days. Try Now! — VoIPLine Telecom