By WelshPaul
GSD1 wrote:
gsmlnx wrote:Just follow the instructions at this UK ISP website support.aa.net.uk/Ro ... Forwarding and look for the section Application Layer Gateways - Disabling the SIP ALG
Thank you gsmlnx and Welsh Paul, disabling SIP ALG fixed the problem. Now my parents can call me in Canada by dialing a local UK DDI number.

Any ideas on a local UK Voip provider that I set an Obi100 unit up for them in the UK?

Thanks
Hi, Nice to hear your problem is now resolved. :thumbsup:

As for any ideas on a local VoIP provider for use with an Obi100 unit, take a look at sipgate's residential service: https://www.sipgate.co.uk/basic/

You get a UK telephone number for free (most charge £2+ per month) and for just £5.90 a month 1,000 Minutes to UK landlines. No contracts, if you don't need or want 1,000 minutes a month just 1.2p per minute on a prepay tariff.
By gsmlnx
I use sipgate.co.uk for the free UK local number too and for outgoing UK normal phone calls.

In addition I also use localphone.com for UK mobile calls as they allow the UK number from sipgate to be used as my caller id . Finally I use voipfone.co.uk to use as a backup to sipgate for 999 calls plus for calls I don't want to have a caller id on e.g. to commercial firms. And all 3 providers are used for various numbers where they are the cheapest provider regardless.

All on pay as you go as not a really big phone user.
By gsmlnx
@GSD1

If both you and your parents have Obi boxes, can't you just call each other for free using the Obi's own 9 digit number to call one Obi from the other?

I've never tried it as I don't know anyone else using this kit but it doesn't require a voip provider. If your parents are not going to use the Obi for anything else but calling you then why pay for anything else?

Some one else may be able to help with the setup either here or at the obihai.com forums.
By WelshPaul
gsmlnx wrote:@GSD1

If both you and your parents have Obi boxes, can't you just call each other for free using the Obi's own 9 digit number to call one Obi from the other?

I've never tried it as I don't know anyone else using this kit but it doesn't require a voip provider. If your parents are not going to use the Obi for anything else but calling you then why pay for anything else?

Some one else may be able to help with the setup either here or at the obihai.com forums.
This is by far the easiest method. Did you know that you can even make use of the Obi digit maps parameter to give each Obi device it's very own unique phone number?

As you may know, each Obi device has its own dedicated Obi telephone number that is hard coded into its firmware, it's generated based on the device serial number and cannot be changed. e.g. 222 222 222 but what if you don't like the format or you want a shorter easier to remember number? No Problem, read on...

Mum is in the UK and she has an Obi100, mum's Obi number is 257 250 876

David is in the USA and he has an Obi202, David's Obi number is 851 693 756

They can dial each other and talk for free simply by dialling their assigned Obi phone numbers. Wouldn't it be easier though if you could change Mum's Obi number to match her existing landline number that she has had for years, the one you know off by heart? or maybe give her an easy to remember short number such as 1234? Well you can!

All David would do is add <1234:257250876> to his Obi digit map, now when he picks up his phone and dials 1234 his Obi202 calls his mum's Obi100 device and they chat.

Mum in turn could add <1234:851693756> to her Obi digit map, now when mum picks up her phone and dials 1234 her Obi100 calls David's Obi202 device and again they chat.

How cool is that :lol: