Was there something you liked? Something we didn't do so well? You can tell us about it here.

Advertisement

By Sponsor
By Ispanico
Hey, guys, first of all: love the forum, I was already able to resolve an issue I'd been having with my internet connection!

Now to the reason for the thread: I think the avatar restrictions are a bit ridiculous. I couldn't even find an avatar less than 20 kbs and 120x120, the smallest avatar I could find that wasn't complete crap was 128x128 and 26kb, and it was REALLY small.

Just a suggestion, we're in 2015, I think less than 400kbs or something isn't going to fry any computers.

Cheers!

Advertisement

By Sponsor
By WelshPaul
You can resize and compress an image online for free. I can take almost any avatar I can find online and resize and compress it then use it on this site. The reasons for the restrictions are to help keep bandwidth, storage and resources to a minimum.

Allowing attachments and screen shots is so much more important than avatars on a support forum I think, people usually come here for help then disappear once everything is up and running. :)
By Yosh
I'd agree that the avatar restriction is maybe a little bit much. I didn't have any trouble with it once I found an online image resizer, but that would be a bit of a handful for anyone who wants to change their avatar while using a mobile device. While yes, I agree that screenshots and attachments would be more important, I do think increasing the size up to 200 x 200 pixels might not hurt much.
By bluegreen
You can compress it as Paul said... But I don't think that a avatar would make any difference at all, after all what matters is your posts and your opinions :P But yes it would be something atached to your profile and it would help identifying you... Just compress it (if you really want it) and you will be fine :)

PS: and I agree with Paul, he made a great job with this forum, some forums are really "heavy" to my PC, I'm glad I found this one that runs really smooth on my PC and doesn't take almost any time to load!
By WelshPaul
I have taken on board your comments regarding the avatar restrictions and as a result I have recently implemented a new feature. You can now upload an image of any size and use an in-browser canvas to crop, rotate and resized your image Facebook style! No more annoying "avatar’s filesize..." error messages. :-D
avatar.png (43 KiB) Viewed 370 times
Oh, I also implemented the use of Gravatar avatars on the site too. :P
CJT-80 liked this

Advertisement

By Sponsor

In the past month, Microsoft have changed their sp…

Porting NGN Issue...

Hi WelshPaul, thanks for the replies and your ef…

Not at this time no. :dunno: Having just looked…

Hello, I have a Google Voice number as well as …