Discuss, review and recommend UK broadband internet services from providers such as BT, Virgin Media and Sky here.
100 %

Advertisement

By Sponsor
By WelshPaul
davep123 wrote:I took the plunge & signed up with virgin for a 100mbps connection "upto" of course.
So the kit arrives tomorrow for me to set up myself, which should be fine.
As Homer Simpson would say... Woo Hoo! . :-D
davep123 wrote:So I need to be careful in what order I do things

1. get virgin up & running
2.cancel broadband from current provider
3. start sipgate account or net telco
4.port number from current provider to sipgate or net telco
5.buy adaptor Cisco SPA112 or OBi100

have I missed anything ??
Once you're up and running put in a notice of cancellation with your existing broadband provider. DO NOT CANCEL YOUR PHONE LINE

If you have any issues with your Virgin Media broadband you will be able to cancel it and in turn cancel your cancellation request with your existing provider.

If all is OK, request to port your number with whatever VoIP provider you decide to use, once the port is complete your old PSTN line will be disconnected and a final bill will be generated by your old provider.

The PAP2T is an obsolite model and was replaced by the SPA112. I would recomnend you buy this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006 ... tag=uvf-21
davep123 wrote:Also where is best to buy adaptors from ?
I have seen this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cisco-Linksys ... 2222986483
Read this.

Advertisement

By Sponsor
By davep123
Thanks for the heads up re buying from ebay, I have ordered a SPA112 from the amazon link. does the SPA112 come with adaptors to convert from the plug on the phone wire to RJ11 ?
the clip/plug on the phone has the plastic spring lever on the right hand side as you look at it plugged into the wall socket.
By WelshPaul
Ah, @davep123 I forgot to mention that!!!

Unfortunately none of the ATA's on the UK market come with a suitable adapter. What you need is a RJ11 (US) to BT (BTS) telephone plug adaptor with ringing capacitor. It explains why you need one with a ring capacitor in this thread, quote:
The capacitor is important. It stores a small amount of charge which is released in two short bursts to create a ring-ring sound. Originally, this burst was enough to cause an electric motor, or a lever attached to an electromagnet, to strike a bell. UK BT telephone lines have remained with this system, and BT compatible telephones will not ring unless they receive this burst of charge even though their ring is electronic rather than a motorised bell! Your BT master wall socket contains a capacitor, but the effect of this is lost when you go through the SPA3102, because your phones are no longer directly connected to the master socket at the wall the SPA3102 is a little telephone exchange in its own right! So you have to add a capacitor between the SPA3102 and your BT handsets in order for them to ring. Without the capacitor, you can still make and receive calls, but the phones will never ring.
This is what you need: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D ... tag=uvf-21
By WelshPaul
davep123 wrote:sipgate or net telco ??
Personally i'd pick sipgate out of the two.
davep123 wrote:Are they both as good as each other ?
driving factors are quality of service and costs
I haven't used Net-Telco enough to find out from a users prospective. I only got this far: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=872&p=3935&hilit=net+telco#p3935
davep123 wrote:with sipgate do calls get routed via germany ?
Yes, Dusseldorf apparently.

The closer the location of any server to you the better. Nothing wrong with using servers hosted in Europe though, shouldn't cause any issues for you. I'd avoid providers who use servers that are hosted further afield like in the US for example.
By davep123
Pete,

I'm still waiting for virgin to connect my house to there broadband, but I have my cisco spa112 now so can set up and test my sipgate account.
Do you have any guides on how to configure the cisco device from the admin screen, or suggest anything online which will help me.
it looks very complex all the settings on the spa112
By WelshPaul
Pete??? :laugh:

First thing I would recommend you do is make sure that your SPA112 is running the latest firmware. See here.

Next, configure your SPA112 with all the required UK settings. The easiest way to do this is to follow the instructions here.

Now log in to your sipgate account and make a note of your SIPID and SIP Password. Once you have this information log in to your Cisco SPA112. To do that, enter the adapter's IP address into an internet browser using a computer on the same local network.

To find your Cisco SPA112 adapter's IP address:

Connect a telephone handset to your SPA112 adapter, now:
  • Dial: * * * *
  • Next dial: 110 # (The IP address of your adapter will be read back to you)
  • Enter the IP address into the address bar of your internet browser (i.e. type in: http://<IP ADDRESS>/ )
Log in using admin as both the username and password and navigate to Voice --> Line 1 and enter your sipgate basic residential account settings like so:
spa-voice-line1.png
spa-voice-line1.png (72.21 KiB) Viewed 420 times
Click Submit and then open the SIP tab:
spa-voice-sip.png
spa-voice-sip.png (71.92 KiB) Viewed 420 times
Configure as shown in the image above and click Submit again.

To test your phone's configuration, please dial the following sipgate numbers:
That's it! :-D
gsmlnx liked this
By WelshPaul
You might find that there is a long delay from when you dial a number and it actually ringing out. To speed it up press the # button on your telephone's keypad after dialing the number, it will ring out instantly.

The next thing that you should do is apply a sipgate uk diaplan to your SPA112 configuration, this will match numbers dialed out and connect them without delay. It also allows you to call local numbers without the need to enter your local area code.

I thought I had one posted but it appears not! I will put one together tomorrow for you.
By WelshPaul
@davep123 I have put together a Sipgate UK dial plan for Cisco / Linksys hardware. See here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1006&p=4334#p4334

Sipgate UK's default number for calling voicemail is 50000, I have configured the dial plan to use 1571. So if you want to listen to any voicemail's left on your Sipgate line just dial 1571 as you would with BT or Virgin Media. On a final note, make sure you change the local area code in the dial plan to your own local area code as instructed in the link posted above.
By WelshPaul
davep123 wrote:still waiting on virgin :-o
What's the hold up? You waiting on a cable re-pull?

You should be all up and running by now. :P
By praful patel
WelshPaul wrote: Tue 31st January 2017, 14:35 Well i'm currently on VM's Vivid 150 BB offering, supposed to get 150MB down and 10MB up. This is what i'm getting right now when running a speed test:

To read more about VM's traffic management policy (see note below) click here and here.

Note: If you’re on VIVID 200 Gamer or VIVID 300 then you won’t be traffic managed on your download or upload activity.

I'm a heavy user, have three children whom are constantly online when home. I run several VoIP lines, multiple gaming PC's, games consoles, stream HD video and all without issue! Am I getting throttled by VM at times? Very likely, but if I am I don't notice it and it doesn't have a negative impact on my usage.

As for Sipgate, no complaints here. :)
Hi All,

Very delighted to see your post after 3 days of struggling to learn about VoIP for Virgin Media users. I want to stop paying line rental, and use VoIP for home use. I want to buy the OBi202 and connect it to my SuperHub 3 which was deliverd just three months ago. Since you have a lot of knowledge, please advise me on how I can start the change over of my Virgin Media phone line to VOIP on broadband with 70Mbs in my area. A detail guide will help, reply soon as my line rental renewal has to be made before 15 Oct for the one year saving.

You can email me directly on *** REMOVED *** if that would be easier.

Regards - Praful Patel
By WelshPaul
@praful patel all you need to do is port your number over to a VoIP provider of your choice. Once your phone number ports over, your virgin media landline will cease and you will receive a final bill in the post. I'm not sure what happens to any other services active on your account such as broadband and TV, they should continue to works as normal although any discounts on your account will likely be removed. Best to give Virgin Media a call and ask them. :thumbsup:

P.s. I removed your email address, you're going to get spammed like crazy posting it on forum boards like that! ;-)

Advertisement

By Sponsor

In the past month, Microsoft have changed their sp…

Porting NGN Issue...

Hi WelshPaul, thanks for the replies and your ef…

Not at this time no. :dunno: Having just looked…

Hello, I have a Google Voice number as well as …