Discuss, review and recommend UK broadband internet services from providers such as BT, Virgin Media and Sky here.
By WelshPaul
Now that we know that Internet download/upload speeds play an important role in VoIP calls, I thought it prudent to provide some links to speed testing resources located in different geographic UK locations.

Internet Speed Testing Resources:
supersash liked this
By WelshPaul
Hi Doug,

Your speeds are poor to be honest...
I'm getting a download speed of around 162Mbps and an upload of 12Mbps. Got to love cable broadband :)

I pay £28 a month for it. :thumbsup:
By JohnBrack
digitalhelper wrote:Hi there,

Thank you for supplying us with these links. I have just done a speed test on Speedtest.net and here are my results:

Download Speed: 2.35Mbps
Upload Speed: 0.90Mbps

How does this sound and compare with you guys?

Cheers,
Doug

Currently have 90.3Mbps download and 10 mbps upload, it's great, but it's also quite expensive, however, with streaming and other services, it's turning into a neccessity.
By JohnBrack
houck wrote:DOWNLOAD
5.39Mb/s
UPLOAD
0.67Mb/s

Currently with Talktalk, I think I really need to change. I would like to stream video gameplay on twitch, but fast broadband can cost quite a lot.
Fast broadband can definitely be a costly affair, specially if your wish is to utilize services such as Twitch, where a substantial upload rate is required. Ironically little more than 5mbps/down is required for many other daily internet-activities, so if saving money is your goal, I would evaluate it carefully before upgrading... :crazy:
By kaiuk
I like speedtest.net because it is graphical and also you can share results easily and graphically. The problem is that it doesn't seem to give out consistent results. I wouldn't say my broadband varies wildly but the results seem to be different each time, and also these different testers give different results.

I always found the BT Wholesale site gives the best results in terms of consistency and accuracy.
By JohnBrack
kaiuk wrote:I like speedtest.net because it is graphical and also you can share results easily and graphically. The problem is that it doesn't seem to give out consistent results. I wouldn't say my broadband varies wildly but the results seem to be different each time, and also these different testers give different results.

I always found the BT Wholesale site gives the best results in terms of consistency and accuracy.
I've noticed the same, but it seems as if the speedtest.net results are influenced by the server it chooses to measure in relation to, my connection jumps by a few mbps depending on the distance to the server to which I am connecting, do you feel any differences in every day use? If not I doubt there's any actual problems with your internet, and that the problem is merely just speedtest.net being a tad inaccurate at times.
By kaiuk
I haven't got any issues at the moment, but a while ago i had terrible broadband speeds (with virginmedia) and was told it was an 'over utilisation' issue in your area. I managed to get a few months for free as it was really bad but now it is as it should be, considering it is a fibre based broadband service.

If Speedtest.net keeps changing server then it is difficult to get an accurate comparison, BT seems to get it right more often than speedtest.net so i use them when i am looking for an accurate reading
By CJT-80
kaiuk wrote:I like speedtest.net because it is graphical and also you can share results easily and graphically. The problem is that it doesn't seem to give out consistent results. I wouldn't say my broadband varies wildly but the results seem to be different each time, and also these different testers give different results.

I manually picked the server nearest to where I am based, working on the assumption that would give me the most accurate speed results.

I have realised I am on an "up to" 50 Mbps service, so I guess the "extra" 4 Mbps is just an estimation.
By JohnBrack
kaiuk wrote:I haven't got any issues at the moment, but a while ago i had terrible broadband speeds (with virginmedia) and was told it was an 'over utilisation' issue in your area.
This is kind of silly in my opinion, and should be taking into consideration by the ISP, it just seems ridiculous that they cannot provide the service they want because of their own structural problems, it's bordering on what I would consider false marketing.

CJT-80 wrote:I have realised I am on an "up to" 50 Mbps service, so I guess the "extra" 4 Mbps is just an estimation.
Not necessarily, where many ISPs do indeed list their product features as being "up to" a certain mbps of download/upload, they often surpass it by a few minutes depending on the strain and usage by other clients.

While I know that it's not the case with you, if you ever do happen to get significantly lower than advertised download rates, always check if your router has a 5ghz option, I never knew about this until I started poking around, luckily for me I had only had my new internet for about a week when I discovered I was connecting to the wrong wifi signal :lol: