Discuss, review and recommend UK broadband internet services from providers such as BT, Virgin Media and Sky here.
By CJT-80
JohnBrack wrote:
CJT-80 wrote:I have realised I am on an "up to" 50 Mbps service, so I guess the "extra" 4 Mbps is just an estimation.
Not necessarily, where many ISPs do indeed list their product features as being "up to" a certain mbps of download/upload, they often surpass it by a few minutes depending on the strain and usage by other clients.

While I know that it's not the case with you, if you ever do happen to get significantly lower than advertised download rates, always check if your router has a 5ghz option, I never knew about this until I started poking around, luckily for me I had only had my new internet for about a week when I discovered I was connecting to the wrong wifi signal :lol:
I never use WiFi for connecting my main PC, it's wired using an Ethernet cable, but I do use WiFi with my smartphone. :D
By sazzydan
I use SpeedTest.net to check my speed, but unfortunatly our internet speed is terrible. It is very rare that we get anything over 3mb download speed, and the upload speed is even worse than that!

It is a shame really because everyone I have seen on here is getting really fast speeds, but I cant get them! We live in Hull, which for those of you who do not know, we are still monopolized to one company, which means they can charge what they like and give a really poor service too!

Until they let other companies in, I am pretty much stuck with a useless internet speed! I am even considering mobile broadband to see if that is any faster than the speed we currently get, as 3mb is a terrible internet speed, especially considering I like to play online games!
By CJT-80
Niall95g wrote:I have been with Talk Talk at home for a while now. They seem to have had the best speed compared to BT and Sky.
My parents moved over to them a few years ago, good price, OK Customer Service (if u can get anyone to understand you) and pretty decent speeds even on regular ADSL.

Just a shame they, like others ISP's continue to charge outrageous prices for their line rental... :(
By callmepotato
Thanks for these links, it's good to have localised speed testing websites as you'll likely get better results, and a better ping too as the signal doesn't have to travel so far. Last time I checked my speed was about 15mbps down, 1.5 up. Much better than what was working with a month ago, which was 0.8 down, 0.4 up (unbearable).
By wahmed
digitalhelper wrote:
WelshPaul wrote:Hi Doug,

Your speeds are poor to be honest...
I'm getting a download speed of around 162Mbps and an upload of 12Mbps. Got to love cable broadband :)

I pay £28 a month for it. :thumbsup:

Time to start looking for another provider me thinks.
Try virgin fiber optic if it is avalible in your area. The speed is actually phenomenal.
By Ispanico
Wow, I'm really jealous of you guys! There are some extremely fast speeds around here!

I can't believe it's 2015 and I'm still rocking these speeds:

Download Speed: 2.35Mbps
Upload Speed: 0.90Mbps

While South Korea and the places that have Google Fiber get a whooping 1Gbps connection!

The difference is huge!
By KenBrace
Ispanico wrote:Wow, I'm really jealous of you guys! There are some extremely fast speeds around here!

I can't believe it's 2015 and I'm still rocking these speeds:

Download Speed: 2.35Mbps
Upload Speed: 0.90Mbps

While South Korea and the places that have Google Fiber get a whooping 1Gbps connection!

The difference is huge!
You're internet is still faster than mine. Mine is pretty dang slow compared to some of the people here.

I want Google Fiber! :mrgreen:
By pwarbi
Well I was hoping that somebody else had made that amateur mistake. Because that's exactly what I was doing when I switched internet provider. My speeds went from average to practically unusable and after many days of emails and phone calls and tinkering about with every setting you could imagine, and some you probably never even knew existed, because I didn't I was ready to ditch the lot out of the window until a friend came round to have a look.

His first words were "well why are you connected to that anyway when you should be connected to this" and voila! I had my high speed internet back...what a fool I felt, I can tell you that!