Discuss, review and recommend UK broadband internet services from providers such as BT, Virgin Media and Sky here.
By GoofyCyborg
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/20 ... phone.html
BTOpenreach has proposed a new product option (‘Single-Order GEA-FTTC’) that could allow customers to take a Fibre-to-the-Cabinet based superfast broadband service, albeit without also needing to have a traditional phone solution for voice calls (aka – Naked FTTC).
I for one would love to see this happen! I bitterly resent having to pay BT's extornate line rental charges.
By WelshPaul
I will believe it when I see it being offered for sale! This topic has come up so many times on so many forums that I'm at that point now where I would recommend nobody hold their breath waiting for this.

Even if they do offer it there is bound to be a catch, there always is. Virgin Media stand alone broadband only saves you a couple of quid (without any special offers applied) when not taking the phone line option.
By houck
I personally love the idea, this way I'm not charge for a phone I rarely ever use. I think most people will agree with how cheap it is to get a unlimited mobile phone deal, we'll all agree this can only be a good thing.

Lets see if other companies will offer the same and what competition happens. :clap:
By GoofyCyborg
Johnderman wrote:Isn't this also called dry line DSL? You don't need an active line, the signal just comes in through the copper phone lines, and it's up to 12 Mbps at least, from what I know.
You can't have dry DSL here in the UK because nobody is offering it for sale. If you want broadband through a copper phone line then you have to have an active phone service on that line also.
By worldmachine
There is a new broadband only provider in the UK called hyperoptic. It is over 100 times faster than the UK average and about 6 times faster than Virgin media. However it is only available in certain parts of the country at present.

Satellite broadband is another option but it's usually slower and more expensive than traditional broadband. It's probably best to buy a package that includes line rental even if you won't use it as the alternatives offer little saving if at all.
By callmepotato
The only company I've seen here in Canada that seems to require a phone line is Bell. I'm pretty sure Rogers uses a Coaxial cable to supply their internet. Not to say that one is better than the other, but I'm pretty sure you don't need phone to get internet here in Canada. Can anyone verify or do I just have no idea what I'm talking about here...
By pwarbi
Haven't hyperoptic been around for a while now? I remember hearing about these offering 1G full fibre optic broadband (as in no copper wire) a little while ago.
I would like to see some actual facts and figures from this company as they DO claim to have the fastest broadband available anywhere in the UK. I think this is a bit of a bold statement to make considering that their coverage in the UK is extremely limited.
As withnanyn'new' provider though, I am extremely interested as to where this company will go...and what it has to offer.
By CJT-80
pwarbi wrote:Haven't hyperoptic been around for a while now? I remember hearing about these offering 1G full fibre optic broadband (as in no copper wire) a little while ago.
I would like to see some actual facts and figures from this company as they DO claim to have the fastest broadband available anywhere in the UK. I think this is a bit of a bold statement to make considering that their coverage in the UK is extremely limited.
As withnanyn'new' provider though, I am extremely interested as to where this company will go...and what it has to offer.
I am a member of another forum where they have a section dedicated to Hyperoptic, some users claim to get speeds close to 1Gbps (subject to the connecting equipment being able to handle those speeds), but others complain of heavy congestion...

Would be hard to say without trying them out.
By CJT-80
worldmachine wrote:There is a new broadband only provider in the UK called hyperoptic. It is over 100 times faster than the UK average and about 6 times faster than Virgin media. However it is only available in certain parts of the country at present.

Satellite broadband is another option but it's usually slower and more expensive than traditional broadband. It's probably best to buy a package that includes line rental even if you won't use it as the alternatives offer little saving if at all.
The provide FULL Fibre to the Premises (FttP) but work on supplying a whole block of flats or a row of houses...

as said in my previous post, I have seen mixed feedback about them.
By Bonzer
For the moment, Virgin media provides fibre optic broadband that offers incredible speeds, the highest in UK (say up to 152Mbps). A wired phone line is a waste of money as the monthly rentals are unjustified for little to no usage.

You may as well employ wireless dongles for the internet alone with 4G networks. Vodafone, Virgin media, O2 offer mobile internet.