Discuss, review and recommend UK broadband internet services from providers such as BT, Virgin Media and Sky here.
By kaiuk
I'm with virgin media and it's pretty good now that the over utilisation issue has been resolved. They do have a policy though about using P2P (bittorrent) during peak times. If you are downloading large amounts during the evenings then they will throttle it (reduce your bandwidth).

Although it means unlimited use doesn't mean unlimited, i actually support this policy because if everyone in the same street started torrenting at the same time, everyone at that exchange would have unusable internet speeds!
By mbowman
I'm with Lions Telecom and while they offer an unlimited plan too I question if I get throttled occasionally. I don't believe there is anything about it in their terms but I haven't read them over with any detail. I think that while many companies don't publicly talk about their throttling a lot of them do.
By Bonzer
kaiuk wrote:I'm with virgin media and it's pretty good now that the over utilisation issue has been resolved. They do have a policy though about using P2P (bittorrent) during peak times. If you are downloading large amounts during the evenings then they will throttle it (reduce your bandwidth).

Although it means unlimited use doesn't mean unlimited, i actually support this policy because if everyone in the same street started torrenting at the same time, everyone at that exchange would have unusable internet speeds!
I'm afraid, I hold a different view from yours. While it's true that too many power users connecting at the same time and hogging the bandwidth could impact an exchange, I suppose, the ISP must appropriately upgrade their equipment and buy more bandwidth to cater to all their customers.

I mean they should provide promised bandwidth at all times, particularly during peak times. If I paid for it, I'm entitled to get it. Imagine people watching a high-octane, football match live streaming at a peak time or a cricket match, scheduled at peak times, they can't deny me my share of bandwidth.

Unfortunately, all ISPs kick out their subscribers after sometime at rush hour.
By John Donovan
Isn't Internet throttling forbidden in Europe? I know that neither my friends in Italy or Hungary have throttled Internet speeds, and neither do I in Romania. I'll have to ask my cousin in the UK if throttling is something normal there.
By Yosh
kylerlittle wrote:Could someone explain to me what broadband throttling is?
It's an intentional slowing of your internet speeds, by your service provider. Often done during times of strain on the servers.

My service provider seems to have the internet speeds constantly throttled. It's crazy xD
By pwarbi
As another poster has already mentioned, I was also under the impression that it was illegal in the UK and Europe for an ISP to throttle the connection?

I'm sure that they probably will do it, but they won't admit to it, and if they do, they will have technical reasons for doing it so it won't break the law.
By talk2me
Yes, I agree with you on the fact that throttling is good as it can benefit the overall users over net by minimizing the network congestion. But I doubt that it is against network neutrality where internet providers are not supposed to discriminate on different types of content and applications. Some Internet Service Providers can take advantage of this situation to divert high quality traffic to their preferred sites.
kaiuk wrote:I'm with virgin media and it's pretty good now that the over utilisation issue has been resolved. They do have a policy though about using P2P (bittorrent) during peak times. If you are downloading large amounts during the evenings then they will throttle it (reduce your bandwidth).