Discuss, review and recommend UK broadband internet services from providers such as BT, Virgin Media and Sky here.
By KenBrace
Niall95g wrote:I have been with Sky, BT and TalkTalk. The best out of the three for both support, price and speed is without a doubt - Talk Talk!

This is my University internet from within Halls.

Dang that's some fast internet! Wish mine was like that.

I suppose that eventually though once the internet reaches a certain speed it's either automatic (as far as we can tell) or our PCs end up getting in the way. The speed of our computers can also slow things down. It's not just the internet.
By CJT-80
Niall95g wrote:I have been with Sky, BT and TalkTalk. The best out of the three for both support, price and speed is without a doubt - Talk Talk!

This is my University internet from within Halls.

It always amuses me that the service is called Janet... sounds like a Librarian! :-P
By KenBrace
jonjonscove wrote:I have used several different ones, but Verizon is the best one that I have used. I'm so thankful we don't have to deal with dial up speeds anymore.
Verizon hasn't been that great with me. It's ok but my regular internet is faster.

I only use Verizon on my phone.
By May102014
The fastest internet I could find was Verizon 4G LTE and T-Mobile Samsung Mobile Hotspot. It's weird because I didn't expect to get such satisfactory internet service from both of these providers. Typically, when you travel, the connection will alter and the speed may be slow to a nonexistent connection. However, I haven't had such problems happen to me yet. Last, the pay for both of these items on a monthly basis is very cost effective but my vote would go to T-Mobile's monthly payment plan because it is substantially cheaper than Verizon's plan.
By worldmachine
I have Sky fibre optic broadband and get speeds around 38mb/s, however i believe Virgin offer the fastest home broadband in the UK at speeds of up to 152mb/s.

Scientists in London have just created the fastest ever real world internet connection using commercial grade fibre optic lines to clock up speeds of 1.4 terabits per second. This means it would be possible to download 44 high definition films in a second.

In the USA a local internet provider is offering a 10gbps to residents and businesses in the Minneapolis area. This is at a staggering cost of $399 per month!
By gsmlnx
I'm lucky to live in an area where fttp (fibre to the premises) is available and have a 80Mbps /20Mbps link. This is priced out by Plusnet at the same rates as FTTC.

Some people have 300Mbps/100Mbps although I don't see the use for that in a residential situation. That speed is greater than many FTSE100 companies use as their pipe out to the world.

And as of this week, I have no landline, just the fibre to the house and VOIP for telephone.
By CJT-80
gsmlnx wrote:I'm lucky to live in an area where fttp (fibre to the premises) is available and have a 80Mbps /20Mbps link. This is priced out by Plusnet at the same rates as FTTC.

Some people have 300Mbps/100Mbps although I don't see the use for that in a residential situation. That speed is greater than many FTSE100 companies use as their pipe out to the world.

And as of this week, I have no landline, just the fibre to the house and VOIP for telephone.
Hey there, just to clarify you have an FTTP like to your house on an 80/20 service? That's pretty neat, I didn't know you could get 80/20 on that, I assumed it was all 300Mbps. BTW I thought the 300Mbps was 30Mbps up not 100?
By pwarbi
Just a quick post on this, I know everybody (myself included) wants the fastest broadband available, but like the previous post said, who is going to need a 300/100 broadband connection into their house?
Surely for usual domestic use, there's really only so fast that you can go before you stop to notice a difference?
By gsmlnx
Yes I do have an FTTP link, (luck me), running a 80Mbps/20Mbps service. My area is too far from the exchange for fttc so we were trialled for fttp.

The other 2 speeds were meant as 2 separate services that were available running either 300Mbps down or 100Mbps down. Plusnet trialled these 2 higher download speeds in the past but seem to have settled on the 80/20 service as the one to sell. Some of the people on the 300Mbps were speed testing at 220'ish Mbps so you do not necessarily see the top speed.

My link is speed testing at 74Mbps down and 20Mbps up and I've seen people on fttc getting better than that. My new router knocked my speed down by 2Mbsp but is far more reliable than either of the previous 2 so I don't mind the headline figure lose as I see a more consistent throughput and better WIFI strength.

And of course, the speed of the sites you use is more relevant to your experience than the pure speed of your down link after a certain point is passed. When I was on ADSL, I would be lucky to stream an SD link from BBC iplayer for 2 minutes before buffering began. Now I don't think twice about streaming and never worry if any one else in the house is online. Before you had to agree who would try to use the net.