Discuss, review and recommend UK broadband internet services from providers such as BT, Virgin Media and Sky here.
By Ispanico
Hello everyone, I need to purchase a new network adapter as the old one is just not doing the trick.

I live in a 2 story house with the router on the ground floor and my room on the 2nd and the signal has a hard time getting to my computer, so I experience some data loss and lag.

Do you know of any particular adapters that have great signal quality and can pick up signals through walls, ceilings and long distances?

Thanks!
By kaiuk
I am in the same situation so i use powerline adapters. TP Link is a good brand and you can get them on amazon or ebay. You simply plug it into an electrical socket by the router and connect a network cable to it. Then do the same thing at the computer end. The powerlines will simply use the copper cabling from the electrical wires to carry the data.

So far i have not had any issues, but it will drop the speed a bit. If you play online games then this is much better than wireless, although you do lose mobility.
By Bonzer
Well, why do you blame it on your network adapter? Have you evaluated your router's signal relaying capacity up to the 2nd floor? If you know, it was previously working well and the problem started lately, still you got to analyze both.

Some routers come with a double antenna and cater to increased ranges. So, let a network expert evaluate your router first. If everything is fine, you may opt for a "Signal booster" for a wireless router.

Even if you buy a new network adapter, it may not do the trick since you live in the 2nd floor. I think the issue here is the signal range and amplification. So, think in that angle.
By kylerlittle
Bonzer wrote:Well, why do you blame it on your network adapter? Have you evaluated your router's signal relaying capacity up to the 2nd floor? If you know, it was previously working well and the problem started lately, still you got to analyze both.

Some routers come with a double antenna and cater to increased ranges. So, let a network expert evaluate your router first. If everything is fine, you may opt for a "Signal booster" for a wireless router.

Even if you buy a new network adapter, it may not do the trick since you live in the 2nd floor. I think the issue here is the signal range and amplification. So, think in that angle.
That's interesting. I think it does make a difference in terms of signals yeah.