Discuss, review and recommend UK broadband internet services from providers such as BT, Virgin Media and Sky here.
By allswl
#1658
I think in the US, like in a number of countries, the cost of internet connection depends largely on what upload/download speeds users opt for. The higher the speeds the more it will cost on a monthly basis. So the price you have quoted will seem a bit high but it may be that many US users are going for the higher speed, which if you think of it, will skew the statistical mean.
By pwarbi
#1900
Just to pick up on this thread, I'm hearing mixed reports here about just how good the service is in the US.

Most people are saying its a slower connection that what we'd get over here in Europe And that's the impression I was under aswell so wouldn't an average cost of $90 be pretty expensive? Particularly compared to prices were paying here in the UK...
User avatar
By nytegeek
#1965
Bonzer wrote:I don't know what that estimate of BBC would have taken into consideration. I think it's a combined average cost of internet with all segments put together.

An average home customer in US, would not like to pay more than $15 per month for a decent cable connection.
15$? $90 is high but I think it is a much more accurate than 15$. Can you link some evidence of rates being so low?
By BradR
#1978
Bonzer wrote:I don't know what that estimate of BBC would have taken into consideration. I think it's a combined average cost of internet with all segments put together.

An average home customer in US, would not like to pay more than $15 per month for a decent cable connection.
$15? That's a bit extreme. Are you sure you're even able to connect to the internet? That price is literally ridiculous when you talk about prices over here. We pay £100 over here, which is about $150, maybe a bit less and our connection still isn't perfect.
User avatar
By Bonzer
#2126
Well, friends here is the reply from Ask.com website to a question on average monthly cost of broadband internet in USA.

"As of 2014, the average cost for DSL Internet access is between $20 and $45 a month and the average cost for cable or fiber-optic broadband Internet access ranges from $25 all the way up to a high of $145 a month. Speeds of fiber-optic Internet access can be even faster than cable Internet access and is offered by companies such as Verizon."

When I gave my version on average monthly cost in US, I had home segment in my mind and people pay cable internet companies like AT&T, Verizon, and so on.

It depends on where you live, your selected plan, limited or unlimited plan, your usage and so on. If it starts at $25 per month for fiber optic, you can imagine the rates of broadband internet in US.

One of my friends told me that she'd not spend more than $15 on cable internet and there are so many alternatives available. So, there you go mates. You are paying way too much in UK and I doubt the veracity of BBC report.
User avatar
By nytegeek
#2133
The BBC report is incredibly off. I will have to look and see what sources they site for this. As for $15, that is equally ridiculous. I'm sure that numbers are wrong in part because of the way packaging broadband with other services skews the numbers but still, quite ridiculous.
User avatar
By Kristin
#2148
jonjonscove wrote:According to reports at BBC. The average cost of internet in the USA is about $90 a month. What price do you think that it is worth.
I have used ATT internet for the past 15 years. Mainly out of the course of least resistance. The $15 price sounds more like what I paid in the late 1990s. About five years ago, (maybe longer since time tends to fly by) we were forced to switch to U verse at 6mbps for $45 a month. I thought $45 was a crazy amount since I was going up from $20. Maybe some Americans pay $90 a month but I have never heard of that price for internet. It sounds more like a bundle package with some combination of phone or television.
User avatar
By Namo
#2150
I live in the US currently and I could tell you that I pay around $100 every month. Keep in mind that this also includes my cable TV. For speeds I usually get around 40 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up. It might not seem like much but I used to get way less, around 10 Mbps, for the same price I pay today. So yes, the average cost around here is around $90, maybe more.
User avatar
By nytegeek
#2497
Namo wrote:I live in the US currently and I could tell you that I pay around $100 every month. Keep in mind that this also includes my cable TV. For speeds I usually get around 40 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up. It might not seem like much but I used to get way less, around 10 Mbps, for the same price I pay today. So yes, the average cost around here is around $90, maybe more.
I really don't think counting the total cost of a bundled package counts. Doing that inflates the results. If you factor in bundled internet speed you should look at the internet portion of the bill minus the discount if any over the service as a stand alone product.
By kylerlittle
#2501
pwarbi wrote:Just to pick up on this thread, I'm hearing mixed reports here about just how good the service is in the US.

Most people are saying its a slower connection that what we'd get over here in Europe And that's the impression I was under aswell so wouldn't an average cost of $90 be pretty expensive? Particularly compared to prices were paying here in the UK...
90 dollars, that's insanely expensive.
Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests

Sorry I mean to say if I do not stop autoboot the …

How to Evaluate an IP Phone System?

CISCO SPA500S

Create a call group and add the three extensions t…

Landline bridge advice

Thanks for tremendous efforts on this Paul. I'm s…