Discuss, review and recommend UK broadband internet services from providers such as BT, Virgin Media and Sky here.
By pwarbi
The only reason people are mentioning packages I think is because that's how I think most people will pay for their internet, or am I wrong?

I know here in the UK it's easier for people to just go with one provider when your looking at internet, landline, TV and sometimes even mobile aswell.

I'm sure on the bill somewhere it's broken down as to how much you pay for each service, although I have to admit I haven't actually looked for that to be honest.
By nytegeek
pwarbi wrote:The only reason people are mentioning packages I think is because that's how I think most people will pay for their internet, or am I wrong?

I know here in the UK it's easier for people to just go with one provider when your looking at internet, landline, TV and sometimes even mobile aswell.

I'm sure on the bill somewhere it's broken down as to how much you pay for each service, although I have to admit I haven't actually looked for that to be honest.
I don't believe so. The increasing number of people that don't use or subscribe to one or more of the bundled services available would indicate that bundles are an attempt to gain business but not necessarily the common way of doing things. A lot of people just don't watch cable television so they don't subscribe. Even more don't have a landline. The common bundles revolve around internet, tv, and landline phone service in a package.
By pwarbi
While I agree that factoring in the cost of cable, landline, extra subscription channels and sometimes even a mobile device is going to skew the results slightly, I think that might be the easiest way to do it.

Many people will subscribe to a bundle deal and if they're asked a question like that, " how much do you pay for your internet?" That's the price they'll give, the price for the package.
By nytegeek
sbatz1972 wrote:I think this sounds about right. Most of the US Internet Service Providers also limit the amount of Internet usage customers have.
I haven't experienced any enforced limits from any of the providers I have used over the years so I'm not sure that is a true statement. I have had service in several different states at one time or another.
By pwarbi
I think before the internet became popular I heard about some ISP capping internet data but I also think them days are long gone now. I know on mobile phones they still limit the amount of data depending on what plan your on, but for home broadband I haven't seen any data limits for a long time.
By nytegeek
There are providers in the USA that have policies regarding excessive use but they are rarely enforced unless it is a 3G, 4G, or wimax type connection. For regular wired service you don't generally get charged extra if you go over. If the usage is really excessive throttling of speeds has occurred but that isn't all that common.
By pwarbi
That's kind of how I thought it was to be honest aswell. I don't think any service is truly unlimited and I'm sure if your downloading 24 hours a day for the full month then your ISP is going to be getting in touch to tell you that your getting close to having to be charged extra but this would be very rare I'd imagine.

As for throttling speeds is that legal? I would have thought they'd have to give you some sort of warning before they go down that route due to excessive usage.
By talk2me
It is too high, I think. By paying such a big money you don't have to compromise on internet quality. In fact speed on the internet depends on the kind of usage you have on net. So this might be an overall average of US. I heard somewhere on net that in New York a 500 Mbps connection can cost you upto $300 but in Amsterdam you can have the same connection at $90. That is the way it differs across the country.

i would not pay more than $20 per month for a net connection as I don't need high speed connectivity for my work. :)
By suegiplaye
jonjonscove wrote:According to reports at BBC. The average cost of internet in the USA is about $90 a month. What price do you think that it is worth.
I live in the USA and my Comcast Bill is $80 every month. But that is because cable is included. Without the cable included I believe that the bill would only be $40 a month. Very interesting. Internet should not be this expensive. I think it should only be about $40 a month.