Discuss, review and recommend UK broadband internet services from providers such as BT, Virgin Media and Sky here.
By pwarbi
While I've never lived anywhere other than the UK, I do believe that location is probably a big factor in the speed of the internet. I know a lot of friends in the US for example can only dream about the kind of speeds we get over here.

Now I don't know though if that's due to world location or other factors such as logistics and ISP's.

When you say it seems a lot faster, what sort of figures are you looking at?
By dibts
The Internet in Hong Kong is fast as well as in Singapore. But in Manila, Philippines... you will be struggling. The people there are using 2mbps for regular broadband subscription and the loading of a website would take more than 10 seconds! That's already their DSL! It was such a pain when I was there. It's still way faster in Europe.
By pwarbi
Well I guess that's true, it would depend on exactly which part of Asia your in.

Even here in the UK you can go to some extreme rural locations and not have any internet at all, I guess it's all about where and who actual needs it.

I was surprised you mentioned Singapore though, I'd have expected that to have a pretty strong connection.
By kylerlittle
I actually know that in some places in Asia, there's internet speed that can go up really and insanely high, while they might pay a little bit more though. I think it all depends on the ISP, some places in Asia offer up to 100 Mb per second speed and it costs so little, even less than in the UK, it's a bit surprising but that's a fact.
By dibts
kylerlittle wrote:I actually know that in some places in Asia, there's internet speed that can go up really and insanely high, while they might pay a little bit more though. I think it all depends on the ISP, some places in Asia offer up to 100 Mb per second speed and it costs so little, even less than in the UK, it's a bit surprising but that's a fact.
If you're in Singapore or Japan, then the speed is high. But if you go to the Philippines, it's a pain.
By Bonzer
Google is reportedly offering a 1 Gbps speed in India. Talks are on the way between Google and Indian central communications minister as per internet news portals. India is the top exporter of software products from Asia and Google has several bases there. It's quite possible for Asia to have faster speeds with wealthy countries like Singapore, Bangkok, Malaysia, HongKong and so on.
By John Donovan
I believe that the speed and cost varies hugely from country to country. For example, I've heard that most of the Internet providers in the UK are not that hot, but in Romania, we have Internet speeds up to 1000 MB/s for only ~$15, which is a killer deal. Even in Romania speeds vary from provider to provider.

I think that in general, Internet speeds in Asia are faster than in the rest of the world, because Asia represents one of the biggest gaming scenes in the world, thus the speeds being justified.
By kylerlittle
dibts wrote:
kylerlittle wrote:I actually know that in some places in Asia, there's internet speed that can go up really and insanely high, while they might pay a little bit more though. I think it all depends on the ISP, some places in Asia offer up to 100 Mb per second speed and it costs so little, even less than in the UK, it's a bit surprising but that's a fact.
If you're in Singapore or Japan, then the speed is high. But if you go to the Philippines, it's a pain.
Absolutely. I also live in Asia, in the middle east and the internet I have is actually quite good and it's not even maximum speed.
By Yosh
Hi there. I'm willing to vet that it does depend on location and provider. In Ireland, all the broadband I could find was slow and unreliable. The internet speeds in my apartment in the Netherlands is not much better, however the 4g over here is super quick, so that's handy!
By sbatz1972
I think the location does have a lot to do with it. I think this because, I have heard the Internet connection works better in Europe than in the US. I have never been across the pond, or at least not yet, and have not experienced this for myself. Perhaps, there are others who have experiences with both.
By CrowdedHighways
According to this list(http://www.forbes.com/pictures/fhmf45fd ... net-zooms/), from the top10 countries with the fastest Internet speed, 6 are from Europe, 1 is from the Americas, and 3 are from Asia, but the 3 Asian countries also make up the top3. I would guess that probably, based on the average Internet speeds, South Korea, Japan and Hong Kong>Europe>the rest of Asia in this regard.
By bluegreen
John Mannics wrote:Feels like internet is much faster here in Hongkong than the one I used while living in Europe a few years. Is it just my experience or does the location matter?
I don't think that it's related to the Continent where you are, neither the location... It all depends on the service you are using. But inevitably you will tend to find better conections on depeloped countries of course. But I am pretty sure than in Hongkong there must be at least one place where the internet was worst than the Europe one you tried :P and I'm pretty sure that in Europe you will find better conections than the one you use on Hongkong :P it really depends on the companies/services :)
By Hugop
Hey,

It is true that locations matter but distance too, if you live in Germany near Luxembourg(a small country), the internet in Luxembourg is faster than the internet in Germany. But it depends on quality too, HongKong is rated as #2 fastest internet speed country!
Here is a list of countries with their internet speed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... ion_speeds
By Kessen
I used to live in China and the internet was pretty terrible there, there were many places where broadband wasn't even available. Connecting to Chinese sites was slow and if I was trying to use any non-Chinese service it slowed to a crawl. I think Hong Kong and Chinese internet are definitely going to be different though, the former isn't crippled by the Great Firewall!