Discuss, review and recommend UK broadband internet services from providers such as BT, Virgin Media and Sky here.
By Bonzer
People use various means to connect to the Internet depending on availability, bandwidth, cost, and customer service. I've both ADSL modem with a wired connection and a USB dongle with a 4G network. I mostly keep USB as a backup service.

Though, a fiber optic network is best in terms of speed, it does come at a premium. Besides, it can have problems too and requires maintenance. I always dream of a wireless internet with blazing speeds which, of course, is some distance from now. So, what is your favorite mode of connection? How do you see the future of all these technologies?
By chelsknits
I'm honestly not really sure what the differences between these types of connections are. The last time I actually used a cable to connect to the internet was around nine years ago, when I had my last desktop. Since then we've always has wireless internet. However, I've noticed that our internet speed is severely lacking. Despite the fact that we supposedly have the fastest internet our provider offers, sometimes it feels like the 3G on my phone could run faster than when I have my phone connected to the internet. Maybe I'll have to try looking into other connection options.
By Samu Zadori
Bonzer wrote:People use various means to connect to the Internet depending on availability, bandwidth, cost, and customer service. I've both ADSL modem with a wired connection and a USB dongle with a 4G network. I mostly keep USB as a backup service.

Though, a fiber optic network is best in terms of speed, it does come at a premium. Besides, it can have problems too and requires maintenance. I always dream of a wireless internet with blazing speeds which, of course, is some distance from now. So, what is your favorite mode of connection? How do you see the future of all these technologies?
My favourite type of internet is fibre optic; since I live with 7 other people, the speed of the connection is of paramount importance.

Coincidentally, I believe fibre optics to be the future of internet connection; it's a fact that ADSL is slowly disappearing from the market, satellite connections are too expensive to maintain the long run, and while 4G and other mobile connections are very popular right now, I think that city-wide "Free WiFi Zones" will end up making them expendable in the long run. Meanwhile, the bandwith for fibre-optic connections is ever-increasing and the prices keep decreasing at a steady rate.
By Dekay
As someone who lives in an area ignored by traditional cable companies I have to say 4G LTE has made my life so much easier. I used to have Satellite but the data caps and latency made it difficult to do anything productive online, especially watching video. Right now I have a 4G LTE modem and router in bridge mode which is hardwired to my desktop via Ethernet and I usually get 30mbps down and 10mbps up.

It's not a perfect solution however, I would like to see more local WISPs offer higher speeds in my area, at the moment the fastest is 10mbps down and 1mbps up which is too slow for my needs.
By Wace
Let me just say that I'm not a fan of satellite. I had satellite connection a few years back, and I seemed to lose connection with each gush of wind or cloud that passed by. Now, this may have improved in the last several years, but interference is something to consider. I truly like DSL, but even with that method, you can experience trash in the line and consequently lose internet connection. I suppose there is no ONE perfect medium, so you have to do your research and decide which methods will most adequately meet your needs.
By pwarbi
I think from the three mentioned, fibre optic is probably well known to be the best of the bunch. When it first became available in my area I wasn't that bothered about making the switch as I wasn't sure I would see much difference. When I did try it though I was proved wrong, there's a huge difference in speed and also reliability, which I hadn't even considered to be honest.
By pwarbi
@nytegeek what are the cost between the three forms of internet in the US? Is there a massive difference in price that would put some people off upgrading.

Here in the UK there seems to be a huge range of prices depending on wich ISP you choose, and what services you require.
By nytegeek
sbatz1972 wrote:I have tried DSL and did not care for it too much. The service was terrible and kept finding dead spots in my home. I prefer the cable Internet connection.
Dead spots in your home are probably related to the wireless equipment or even the wiring to the wall jacks depending on what you mean. I don't think that is a cable vs. DSL problem unless you used company provided wireless routers and one happened to work better for you. Even at that it's an equipment issue not a DSl vs. Cable issue.
By pwarbi
When it comes to a loss of service or interrupted signal, I think a lot of people will tend to blame the actual service instead of the equipment they're using.

You could have the fastest broadband in the world but if your using a 20 year old steam powered router your going to have an issue!