Discuss, review and recommend UK broadband internet services from providers such as BT, Virgin Media and Sky here.
User avatar
By John Donovan
#2622
I've been thinking about it for a while, but now it seems that my ISP has a special offer. I currently have their 100MB/s data plan for which I am paying ~8 dollars per month. However, I can now upgrade to 1000MB/s for only ~11 dollars per month, and that's really cheap for me, but they say that I need an i7 processor and an SSD to take advantage of the high speeds.

I'm really curious as to what speeds I could get with an i5 and a regular HDD.
User avatar
By John Donovan
#2672
CrowdedHighways wrote:I think it it well worth it for the cost. What do you normally use the Internet for?
I am a very avid gamer. I download a lot of games (mostly legally, via Steam, but I do have a few slips every now and then, luckily, my ISP never gives a *Bleep* about piracy in here, as long as you don't upload). I also use a few video streaming services such as Hulu and Crackle. I also browse the Internet quite a lot, surfing on various forums (like this one!) and on Youtube.

Now that I listed all of my online activities, I'm starting to think that upgrading would be worth it. I'll still think it over a bit before taking the plunge.
User avatar
By John Donovan
#2804
Well, I decided to stick to my already fast Internet, and that I could save up that extra money for something else, prefferably a new router, as my current one is freaking atrocious in almost all aspects. In fact, my ISP recently doubled upload speeds on my Internet plan, so that's one more reason to stay on the current one.

I mean, I can already download huge games in a few minutes, so I guess I'm doing fairly well for myself.
By bluegreen
#2810
John Donovan wrote:I've been thinking about it for a while, but now it seems that my ISP has a special offer. I currently have their 100MB/s data plan for which I am paying ~8 dollars per month. However, I can now upgrade to 1000MB/s for only ~11 dollars per month, and that's really cheap for me, but they say that I need an i7 processor and an SSD to take advantage of the high speeds.

I'm really curious as to what speeds I could get with an i5 and a regular HDD.
For that cost I would upgrade it for sure, 1000MB's is really huge :D anyways, if you have an i5 I can tell you that there are i7 that are weaker than some i5. It all depends on the generation of each one. DId they said more about which i7 models they were talking about?

PS: what's your i5?
User avatar
By John Donovan
#2812
bluegreen wrote:
John Donovan wrote:I've been thinking about it for a while, but now it seems that my ISP has a special offer. I currently have their 100MB/s data plan for which I am paying ~8 dollars per month. However, I can now upgrade to 1000MB/s for only ~11 dollars per month, and that's really cheap for me, but they say that I need an i7 processor and an SSD to take advantage of the high speeds.

I'm really curious as to what speeds I could get with an i5 and a regular HDD.
For that cost I would upgrade it for sure, 1000MB's is really huge :D anyways, if you have an i5 I can tell you that there are i7 that are weaker than some i5. It all depends on the generation of each one. DId they said more about which i7 models they were talking about?

PS: what's your i5?
Given that I am on a laptop (a fairly beefy one, as I can run all current-gen games at mid-high), I have a i5-4200M at 2.5 GHz. It never let me down so far. :D

I don't think I'll be upgrading to 1000 though, I think I am satisfied with my current speeds.
By bluegreen
#2821
John Donovan wrote:
bluegreen wrote:
John Donovan wrote:I've been thinking about it for a while, but now it seems that my ISP has a special offer. I currently have their 100MB/s data plan for which I am paying ~8 dollars per month. However, I can now upgrade to 1000MB/s for only ~11 dollars per month, and that's really cheap for me, but they say that I need an i7 processor and an SSD to take advantage of the high speeds.

I'm really curious as to what speeds I could get with an i5 and a regular HDD.
For that cost I would upgrade it for sure, 1000MB's is really huge :D anyways, if you have an i5 I can tell you that there are i7 that are weaker than some i5. It all depends on the generation of each one. DId they said more about which i7 models they were talking about?

PS: what's your i5?
Given that I am on a laptop (a fairly beefy one, as I can run all current-gen games at mid-high), I have a i5-4200M at 2.5 GHz. It never let me down so far. :D

I don't think I'll be upgrading to 1000 though, I think I am satisfied with my current speeds.
Yes is up to you, IMHO I don't know why would a person need 1000 mb net speed... Maybe for the streamers would make some sense, but for the usual user it's not worth unless you do 100 downloads at the same time ahah :P and I don't think a regular user does that :P
By pwarbi
#2832
If your more than happy with the speeds your getting at the moment then I think you've probably made the wise choice to be honest. There seems to be a lot of these special offers going around at the moment but as the old saying goes, if it isn't broke then there's no need to fix it.

You say your an avid gamer and as technology and games specifications increase, it might be something to look at in the future but for now sticking with what you've got is probably the right option.
User avatar
By John Donovan
#2845
pwarbi wrote:If your more than happy with the speeds your getting at the moment then I think you've probably made the wise choice to be honest. There seems to be a lot of these special offers going around at the moment but as the old saying goes, if it isn't broke then there's no need to fix it.

You say your an avid gamer and as technology and games specifications increase, it might be something to look at in the future but for now sticking with what you've got is probably the right option.
I'll definitely keep an eye out for more deals, and my provider has a whole lot of them. If they ever lower the price considerably, I shall jump over to their better offers. I am quite a sucker for deals. :)
Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests

Sorry I mean to say if I do not stop autoboot the …

How to Evaluate an IP Phone System?

CISCO SPA500S

Create a call group and add the three extensions t…

Landline bridge advice

Thanks for tremendous efforts on this Paul. I'm s…