Discuss, review and recommend UK broadband internet services from providers such as BT, Virgin Media and Sky here.
By bluegreen
I replied to this post but I never thought about it, if you have a 1000MB/s you would, theoretically, download a 10GB file in 10 seconds right? So that's unreal, at it's best you would achieve much faster internet than a 100MB/s (that that's the most typical max speed offered by the majority of companies), but never close to 1000 MB/s.

So, Sunflogun has some reason, but I don't agree completely, as I said previously, if you want to stream on twitch at max quality you better have a really good internet or you won't get far. So I think that some people (yes a very restrict group) would benefit from this upgrade. But not the standard user for sure!
By WelshPaul
Take note: If you had a 1000MB connection the website or torrent server would also need to have a 1000MB or more to benefit from the speeds. If they had a 100MB connection for example then your never going to get more than 100MB download speeds from that server anyway.
By John Donovan
WelshPaul wrote:Take note: If you had a 1000MB connection the website or torrent server would also need to have a 1000MB or more to benefit from the speeds. If they had a 100MB connection for example then your never going to get more than 100MB download speeds from that server anyway.
Whoa, thanks a lot for this! This changes a lot. I don't think that many servers have such speeds, so I guess that now I've completely made my mind. I'm glad I posted here. :D
By bluegreen
WelshPaul wrote:Take note: If you had a 1000MB connection the website or torrent server would also need to have a 1000MB or more to benefit from the speeds. If they had a 100MB connection for example then your never going to get more than 100MB download speeds from that server anyway.
Wow, I didn't know that download speeds work like that :P that's why I have different download speeds when I use Firefox Browser and Steam for example! On my Firefox Usually I have around 1 to 2MB/s and on steam I can reach 4MB/s sometimes! What was the highest download speed you guys achieved? And 2 or 3 MB/s is really good or just an average speed?
By nytegeek
It does seem silly to purchase bandwidth from your ISP that most of the servers you connect to or through can not even achieve. It's like putting a jet-pack on granny. Just because she could move a lot faster doesn't mean she isn't going to stop and putter around anyway. Save the jet-pack for somebody that can make use of it.
By Voipreneur
I would say that based on the activities you mentioned, it's most definitely a good choice to upgrade your internet. I think the biggest question in mind however is, where exactly do you get the chance at such an inexpensive internet? Most residential plans where I am from cost upwards of $40 to $60+ a month. I assume then you're probably in a rather big city, eh?

I would love if I had the option to get even half of that, so I would most definitely go for it! :-D
By nytegeek
Voipreneur wrote:I would say that based on the activities you mentioned, it's most definitely a good choice to upgrade your internet. I think the biggest question in mind however is, where exactly do you get the chance at such an inexpensive internet? Most residential plans where I am from cost upwards of $40 to $60+ a month. I assume then you're probably in a rather big city, eh?

I would love if I had the option to get even half of that, so I would most definitely go for it! :-D
Why tell somebody to go for something that can't even be utilized?