Discuss, review and recommend UK broadband internet services from providers such as BT, Virgin Media and Sky here.
By nytegeek
Copper can deliver speeds up to 10 gigabits. Fiber maxes out at 43 terabits. Your hard drive even if you have an SSD is going to be significantly slower than this. The speed difference isn't relevant. In many cases fiber isn't to the door anyway. It is usually just to street cabinets and from there to the home it is copper. The only real advantage to fiber in most cases is less signal degradation over distance. If you live a long way from the exchange this can be useful.
By pwarbi
People seem to be obsessed these days with getting the fastest service they can, even when they don't need it.

While I think everybody will want a fast internet connection, is it really worth paying extra, and in some cases a lot extra, if all your using the internet for is to check your emails?

Like you say most of the hardware people have in the home isn't capable of handling these speeds anyway so I think people need to double check just what they're paying for.
By CrowdedHighways
I also think that the numbers are more impressive than the actual performance. Most people do not really require the speeds that fiber can provide. It is all dependent on how you use your computer, of course, but the average user will do very well without a need to upgrade to fiber.
By Voipreneur
I think in it's current stage it isn't really worth the investment as not only is it not fully implemented yet, but an average users computer needs some time to catch up and on top of that they need to take into account that a lot of servers aren't really fully ready to handle that kind of speed yet, either! On top of that, there are still a lot of places that will simply cap the download speed on you no matter how fast your internet is, and thus negates the point of Fiber, anyways! :bored:
By nytegeek
From an infrastructure standpoint Fiber should be installed rather than copper. It does deliver higher potential speeds but that isn't relevant yet because most servers and clients can not benefit from speeds faster than copper yet. That said, when they do get to that point it will be good if fiber is already in place to take advantage of. The only major advantage of fiber for the consumer at this time is that the signal doesn't degrade over a distance in the way it does over copper.
By pwarbi
I also think cost is an issue aswell. It's all very well having the best speeds available, but they'll also tend to cost quite a bit more. If all your using your internet for is the basics, your not going to be able to justify the price increase.
By bluegreen
nytegeek wrote:Copper can deliver speeds up to 10 gigabits. Fiber maxes out at 43 terabits. Your hard drive even if you have an SSD is going to be significantly slower than this. The speed difference isn't relevant. In many cases fiber isn't to the door anyway. It is usually just to street cabinets and from there to the home it is copper. The only real advantage to fiber in most cases is less signal degradation over distance. If you live a long way from the exchange this can be useful.
Fiber advantage is that it has less signal degradation as you said but don't forget that fiber ALWAYS provide constant signal, you won't have much spikes on your internet. If you have spikes it's because it's something central, and will affect everyone. Probably due to major maintenance issues. So you won't have this spikes several times a week, probably one time per month and it doesn't last too much. So it's definitely worth having fiber if you can afford it and it's available in your area!
By nytegeek
If you are experiencing outages or decreased capacity several times a week the answer isn't Fiber, it should be to just get a new provider period. This isn't something that occurs with such frequency and it isn't unique to copper. Cable and DSL services work differently from each other and many of them may have copper to the house but still use fiber for the main transmission lines. it isn't a cut and dry difference like you think it is.
By bluegreen
serbog wrote:I think Google Fiber is just a waste of money. I don't know if anyone needs that much speed for one internet connection. I have a pretty low internet (only 5mbps) and I would like to upgrade, but I wouldn't get Google Fiber that is for sure.
What's Google Fiber's speed? Well, I remember I had around 4 or 5 Mbps in my first apartment when I went to university, it was pretty bad, I couldn't download documents in decent time and the internet failed a lot. You can upgrade to a 20 or 30 Mbps easily and it's not very expensive! :P
By talk2me
Yes, I totally agree with pwarbi. Going for higher speed in internet connection should be based on our requirements. Just for doing basic things like checking emails and reading online news there is no point in wasting some extra bucks. I think a connection with a speed below 5 Mbps is enough for doing basic net activities.

So, by assessing the exact requirements you can find out what speed is right for you. :)
By nytegeek
Truth be told, checking email and reading online news or doing anything that is primarily text based doesn't even require a broadband connection let alone fiber. It's when you get into multimedia content that it becomes a need. Even at that the home user will not gain any advantage of using fiber over copper unless they are a good distance from the exchange.
By drgeoff
Speed is not the only parameter. Fibre has a lower raw error rate than xDSL. End to end fibre should not require a long interleaver type error corrector which is usually present in xDSL modems. Hence less delay which may be important for some applications.